GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,416 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Trying a 2 character run, should this work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Korte
msg tools
I’ve played as 4character solo before, but wanted to try 2 character for a while. Here’s my thoughts on characters and progression.
Sun Elf Fighter - take Eldritch Knight and Great Weapon Master and eventually War Magic. I count as Arcane, and my Glory cards deal KK, Cantrips deal KU

Aasimar Cleric - Trickery domain. End up with Sneak Attack and Invoke Duplicity. I discard a card to deal R from Sneak Attack, and discard a card at random to have one card I play deal +RR.

Since I’m taking the features that make my chRcaters count as Deception Class and Arcane Class, could I take the Rogue-Scout subclass?
My first response is no, since I’m Deception Class, not Rogue. But I could take any Deception Class features that don’t require Rogue or Bard.

Do I even need to take the features to have me count as other class?
Would Sruid of the Land and have it count as Deception work better?

EDIT: the rulebook requires a 2 player game to have each character count as 2 classes. The Class Types in a 2/3 player game lists them as class Types, but on the next page, under Two and Three Player Games: Which Card to Trade Out? Section lists the class and secondary class as Fighter/Cleric and Wizard/Rogue. Should the book have read: Fighter/Devotion and Wizard/Deception?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally not a fan of having the Devotion character as a primary role, but one of my 2-player campaigns had my wife playing a Cleric simply because we hadn't done that yet - and they turned out pretty good. They're next to get run through the new content once our first batch finishes the Sea of Swords.

I'm definitely not a fan of Druids in 2p pairings -- if they don't get a first turn kill to get some initial gold into their pocket, the rest of the game suffers greatly for it.

Really, the only way to determine how you'll do is to give it a try and be willing to abandon the pairing if you can't get through the Ancient Evil campaign.

As to Feature access -- Rogue is a specific type of Deception Class (just like Bards are a type of Deception class) -- Trickery Domain would not give access to Scout. I wish Bards could get access to Rogue Features sometimes...

In 2p, you gain the aspects of your secondary role for 'free', but that doesn't give Feature access. You'd only need to take subclass Features if you wanted that Feature or another that required you be a specific subclass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Korte
msg tools
Thanks BCZ.
I think I’ll run with the EK fighter and a Scout Rogue I stead of a druid.

To make sure I’ve got it though, when you pick a secondary class type for. A 2p game, you count as that class type for most things, but you aren’t a specific class, like Bard or Rogue, or Sorceror or Wizard, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peruse this and let me know if you still have questions:

Playing with a Partner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Korte
msg tools
Thanks for the read. I’d read it several months back, when I was playing 4 character solo and thinking of the 2p run. I haven’t played in months so I’m just getting back into it.

I think i’ll run with the EK and the Scout. If it doesn’t work, i’ll Start again with some advice from the boards.
Thanks again BCZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlord Okeer wrote:
Thanks for the read. I’d read it several months back, when I was playing 4 character solo and thinking of the 2p run. I haven’t played in months so I’m just getting back into it.

I think i’ll run with the EK and the Scout. If it doesn’t work, i’ll Start again with some advice from the boards.
Thanks again BCZ

Enjoy and let us know how it goes -- I always like hearing about strong 2p pairings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We run a Druid and Rogue two player party that has worked very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daskindt wrote:

Which Race for the Druid?

I'm particularly interested in starting funds and Features to help get over the initial hump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
daskindt wrote:

Which Race for the Druid?

I'm particularly interested in starting funds and Features to help get over the initial hump.

Gnome Druid.

I’d have to look at the Features, but I want to say Circle of the Land (Arcane) and Wild Shape are the focus. She’s taken over as our tank on Moonshae Isle.

Even at Level 5, she still has 0 Gold to start. I’ll see if I can get my partner to remind me on the Feature progression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.