GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,087 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Bios: Origins (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Differences between this and the first edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Am thinking of pledging the KS for this.
Just saw Callendale's review of the first edition;

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/10808/origins-how-we-became-...

Ouch.

I can't find any information about how the second edition differs from the first. No reviews of the second edition. Does anybody know of some I can check out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2086451/how-bios-origins-di...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I am looking more for a video review that gets into detail on how the game is played, what the game experience is like, looks at the rule book experience.
I am very intrigued with the game theme. I was a KS backer of the second edition till I came across Callendale's review of the first. I know I would NOT enjoy that edition and if the second hasn't made some fundamental changes I'll have to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmbmb
Embrace the mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure there really is something on the lines of what you are looking for. There were some really significant changes from Bios Megafauna 1 to Bios Megafauna 2 which made things much more of a game. I am assuming it will be similar for Origins but I have no frame of reference to be sure of that.

Personally, my advice is unless money is an issue to go ahead and get it. The resale value on Sierra Madre games has historically been really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
rebuscarnival wrote:
Embrace the mystery.

When it comes to new games, I'm trying to work smarter and not harder.
I've already got too many games on the shelves whose "mystery" ended up being "unsolvable".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
eva01iastate wrote:
Not sure there really is something on the lines of what you are looking for. There were some really significant changes from Bios Megafauna 1 to Bios Megafauna 2 which made things much more of a game. I am assuming it will be similar for Origins but I have no frame of reference to be sure of that.

Personally, my advice is unless money is an issue to go ahead and get it. The resale value on Sierra Madre games has historically been really good.

Thanks.
So there may be a decent game overhaul in the works? Might be worth a gander. (So much for working "smarter". )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like to pass judgement on games before giving them a decent number of plays, and this is especially true for Phil's games. His design ethos is that of a series of interlocking systems, and it can frequently be hard to tell how this all works together without the benefit of seeing it in action.

That said, there are a couple of things in particular that I'm excited about.

- BIOS: Origins 2 doesn't involve dice. The die rolls in Origins were few, but incredibly significant. they gated numerous parts of the game - domesticating/mining to reach higher energy levels and advancing chaos, for two examples. This meant that a complex and fascinating game is hidden behind a small number of very random rolls. Removing this should hopefully let the great parts of the game shine.

- Speaking of randomness, taking a leaf from BIOS: Megafauna 2, the random events are under the control of the players. You choose when to challenge the gods and make bad things happen (hopefully for a reward).

The cleverest parts (the tech track, "Footprint" scores controlling population density, the underlying model of conciousness and language, etc.) remain untouched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Am thinking of pledging the KS for this.
Just saw Callendale's review of the first edition;

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/10808/origins-how-we-became-...

Ouch.

I can't find any information about how the second edition differs from the first. No reviews of the second edition. Does anybody know of some I can check out?

The living rules for Bios:Origins 2 are ready for playtesting. The first page includes links to component files, also playtest log. See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KNVSJdaViUibaFxniktK1Uln...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Welp, there goes my work productivity for the week....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.