GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

1066, Tears To Many Mothers» Forums » General

Subject: Solo and other thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived yesterday and got to table last night. First off, it is beautiful to behold. The artwork is just gorgeous. Play seems solid and I look forward to playing it with a live opponent. I two-handed once through to get a feel then soloed once as Saxons and once as Normans.

Objective B (War Council?) for Normans is quite tough going with 3 zeal to cover - if the Saxon manages to get a ranged unit in play or some of the 1-damage on play cards, then it can be hard to get zeal above 3. When the AI is playing Normans it is particularly vulnerable to losing the Trumpeter (so now plays only 0 cost cards for several rounds) followed by Ealdred - that can leave the battle postponed for many rounds for the Normans.

The Saxons have a 0 cost event (boats attack?) that draws two cards. That is an odd one for the AI - doesn't seem to have an obvious interpretation. One option is to play two deployments, but if the AI has only 0 resources then there are few cards that will come into play. I wonder whether to have it generate 1 extra resource for another deployment? That is sort of equivalent to 2 cards for the AI, and gives a path to playing out a 1 cost card in the early game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
Objective B (War Council?) for Normans is quite tough going with 3 zeal to cover - if the Saxon manages to get a ranged unit in play or some of the 1-damage on play cards, then it can be hard to get zeal above 3. When the AI is playing Normans it is particularly vulnerable to losing the Trumpeter (so now plays only 0 cost cards for several rounds) followed by Ealdred - that can leave the battle postponed for many rounds for the Normans.

Yeah knocking out the initial resource generation for either side pushes them get a bit resource stuck. Both sides have very different cost 0 cards. The Saxons get more units down, but then can spend time just emptying their deck and flipping it over. While the Normans get a bit of damage done but end with less units. The Normans are a little slower out the gate with their objectives, however the Saxons, in non solo, will be losing units as they progress.

Derek Long wrote:
The Saxons have a 0 cost event (boats attack?) that draws two cards. That is an odd one for the AI - doesn't seem to have an obvious interpretation. One option is to play two deployments, but if the AI has only 0 resources then there are few cards that will come into play. I wonder whether to have it generate 1 extra resource for another deployment? That is sort of equivalent to 2 cards for the AI, and gives a path to playing out a 1 cost card in the early game.

This is a card the AI will just skip and move on, as it cannot play the event so as per the rules you discard it and continue. I also do the same for any healing when there is no damage, or even and events that damage/destroy unit/character events when there are no applicable targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.