GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,300 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Umordhoth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can see, nowhere on AO card does it tell you what gate cards to use? I assumed I was supposed to use Temporal Fissure, is this correct? Did I miss it somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
As far as I can see, nowhere on AO card does it tell you what gate cards to use? I assumed I was supposed to use Temporal Fissure, is this correct? Did I miss it somewhere?

Feast is unique in that it does not use anomalies at all, it instead uses the Outbreaks Archive Card (1). So go ahead and put away the Anomaly Tokens and the Anomaly Decks when you're playing the Feast for Umordhoth scenario. Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
This scenario does not use the anomaly mechanic - check the cards in the codex, you will find that Outbreak is in play instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgardner0 wrote:
This scenario does not use the anomaly mechanic - check the cards in the codex, you will find that Outbreak is in play instead.

Oh dear, sounds like I've played this completely wrong and will have to scrap our victory from the record. Can you explain what the Outbreak is that should have been used instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
mgardner0 wrote:

Oh dear, sounds like I've played this completely wrong and will have to scrap our victory from the record. Can you explain what the Outbreak is that should have been used instead?

Look at cards 1 and 2 in the codex. One of them goes over the Anomaly rules, the other goes over the Outbreak rules. They handle doom differently.

At the moment (expansions may change this), these are the two ways that doom gets dealt with. Outbreaks are used for Ümôrdhóth, and Anomalies are used for the other three.

How did you do anomalies for Umdûde without an anomaly deck for him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Look at cards 1 and 2 in the codex. One of them goes over the Anomaly rules, the other goes over the Outbreak rules. They handle doom differently.

At the moment (expansions may change this), these are the two ways that doom gets dealt with. Outbreaks are used for Ümôrdhóth, and Anomalies are used for the other three.

How did you do anomalies for Umdûde without an anomaly deck for him?

I used the Temporal Fissure cards. I don't think I've read the first card properly, I think I've just assumed it was the same card I used for Azathoth. Without knowing what the outbreak mechanic is do you think I've made the game easier, harder or just different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
tigerwalms wrote:
Without knowing what the outbreak mechanic is do you think I've made the game easier, harder or just different?

Personally, I think you made the game harder on yourself.

a) Too much doom using Anomaly mechanic: You cannot have regular encounters, so cannot obtain clues or gain items / allies / etc. Outbreak mechanic never stops you from having a regular neighborhood encounter.

b) minor spoiler for those who have not played Umordhoth scenario (VERY minor)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Many cards in the event deck for the Umordhoth scenario place doom in two locations, so doom accumulates faster in this scenario. Combined with a) above, if you played with Anomaly mechanic, you would presumably have to deal with more anomalies than expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.