GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,324 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » British Columbia

Subject: Looking for advice: How do you sell games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nick b
Canada
vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks! Since getting back into boardgames a few years ago, I haven't re-sold any games but I would like to pare down my collection. I'm just wondering about the best way to do it?
I have no illusions about making my money back so I will be selling at a very reduced price. My goal is to get rid of these games and hopefully get them into the hands of someone who will enjoy/appreciate them.
So what works for people? Facebook marketplace? BGG marketplace? Ebay? Are there any vendors in Vancouver who buy games?
Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Rallyman fan
badge
Rallyman fan
mb
I sell my games on the BGG Marketplace, or trade them in math trades. Coincidentally, the no-ship Vancouver math trade is starting tonight: subscribe to this thread for the details: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30479860#30479860

The Vancouver no-ship math trade happens three times a year (IIRC), and there are three other Canada-wide shipping math trades throughout the year (two just wrapped up last month).

Starlit Citadel and Board Game Warriors both have consignment programs. I don't know if any stores buy used games.

Craigslist/Kijiji might be worth trying too, though I haven't tried them. Facebook Marketplace has been good for us for selling household stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Wong
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there is a "best" way to sell board games, but what I've used (as a buyer or seller) and have seen are (and in no particular order):

a) craigslist
b) BGG marketplace
c) ebay
d) Starlit Citadel (Vancouver) consignments
e) Board Game Warriors (New Westminster) consignments

game swaps such as:

f) Board game Buy/Sell/Trade at the River Market (New Westminster) hosted by Board Game Warriors on their Meetup.com page. This a one day event that has happened in January and July for a couple of years.

g) Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade hosted by Juxtatype. The next one is starting.. today??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Wong
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This. Gravey beat me to it!

Gravey wrote:
I sell my games on the BGG Marketplace, or trade them in math trades. Coincidentally, the no-ship Vancouver math trade is starting tonight: subscribe to this thread for the details: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30479860#30479860

The Vancouver no-ship math trade happens three times a year (IIRC), and there are three other Canada-wide shipping math trades throughout the year (two just wrapped up last month).

Starlit Citadel and Board Game Warriors both have consignment programs. I don't know if any stores buy used games.

Craigslist/Kijiji might be worth trying too, though I haven't tried them. Facebook Marketplace has been good for us for selling household stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick b
Canada
vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! I've not done a math-trade before and I certainly see the appeal but I'm trying to cut down my collection and I don't want more games!
Sacrilege, I know. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the other options mentioned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good success with the New West buy/sell/trade events that are put on by Board Game Warriors. They happen twice a year and you can be informed of them by signing up for their Meetup group (though I did miss the notification for the July event this way, until it was too late; may be something awry on my end...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a lot of luck with the geekmarket. I ship to the US, but it is a lot of hassle imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craigslist has been pretty good to me. I've sold the occasional game here on the geekmarket but I would just rather avoid shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Rallyman fan
badge
Rallyman fan
mb
svatahor wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I've not done a math-trade before and I certainly see the appeal but I'm trying to cut down my collection and I don't want more games!

Many trades let users post gift certificates or cash, so you can pare down that way. In one of the Canada-wide trades last month, I was 3 out, 2 in, and made $15. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marQ DC
Canada
flag msg tools
aside from the ones that's been mentioned..here are a few more.

Local Vancouver BG subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgamesvancouver/comments/9t1udy...

Local FB group:
Games Night Organizer (Vancouver)

Canada BG buy/sell/trade FB group:
The Board Game Group Canadian Buy, Trade, Sell

Craigslist have been most successful for me.

..so what're your selling...? pm me..? 😏
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick b
Canada
vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
svatahor wrote:

Many trades let users post gift certificates or cash, so you can pare down that way. In one of the Canada-wide trades last month, I was 3 out, 2 in, and made $15. thumbsup

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick b
Canada
vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marQer wrote:
aside from the ones that's been mentioned..here are a few more.

Local Vancouver BG subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgamesvancouver/comments/9t1udy...

Local FB group:
Games Night Organizer (Vancouver)

Canada BG buy/sell/trade FB group:
The Board Game Group Canadian Buy, Trade, Sell

Craigslist have been most successful for me.

..so what're your selling...? pm me..? 😏

Ha ha, sure, pm sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sold on the geekmarket here, on ebay, craigslist and in facebook boardgame groups. I've found the geekmarket can have something sit there forever without a bite, ebay is hit and miss, while facebook has been the most successful area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svatahor wrote:
Sacrilege, I know. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the other options mentioned?

I’ve sold a bunch of games on Craigslist and Facebook market place without issue. The experiences have been good overall for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Graves
Canada
Cloverdale
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Craigslist is my go to. So far...no issues. All good experiences.

Math Trades are awesome, and as mentioned previously, you can get cash for your trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.