GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,184 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Deep Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Deep Madness vs Cthulhu: Death May Die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all in on CDMD but I really want a Lovecraft game that's more story driven, so I'm considering Deep Madness. Friends already own everything for Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror, so I don't feel the need to own those. Reviews of Deep Madness are calling it just another dice chucker, a la Massive Darkness, but with a very strong story element, which is a positive.

That being said, are these games going to be different enough to warrant owning both, or are they too similar?

I would love to hear what you all think. Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kayEFjay wrote:
I'm all in on CDMD but I really want a Lovecraft game that's more story driven, so I'm considering Deep Madness. Friends already own everything for Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror, so I don't feel the need to own those. Reviews of Deep Madness are calling it just another dice chucker, a la Massive Darkness, but with a very strong story element, which is a positive.

That being said, are these games going to be different enough to warrant owning both, or are they too similar?

I would love to hear what you all think. Thx!

I pledged 1 usd for cdmd because it was very tempting, but something kept me from pledging until the PM. Finally I did not jump in: the game looked overly simplistic and stupid [shoot an elder one with 1920’s handguns?!], the goofy references to actual characters, a short campaign with the usual Cmon hubris [eg the Yog-Sothoth gate], poor creators interaction, mostly uninspired art... then I pledged 1 usd for Machina Arcana, thinking all the seriousness missing in cdmd was there... but again something kept me from pledging (not a fan of standees and weird card sizes, for example).
And boy am I glad I skipped both!, now I can have a true dudes-on-a-map game inspired by HPL’s work, with gorgeous components, a lot of value, and a decent rendition of the horrific intuition of the numinous, not a pulp sitcom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Richter
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m in for both and really looking forward to both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Palmer
United States
Omaha
NE
flag msg tools
mb
Dawn of Madness will be even more story driven so maybe plan for that over Deep Madness? DoM is supposed to hit KS in spring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Richter
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciniconoclasta wrote:

the goofy references to actual characters

Isn’t that both games though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
racer06 wrote:
Ciniconoclasta wrote:

Lol, I was not aware DM had references to actual characters, is that really so? Are they registered somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matej
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
...too low
badge
He'll chop and slice you, cut and dice you, eat you up whole...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciniconoclasta wrote:
racer06 wrote:
Ciniconoclasta wrote:

Lol, I was not aware DM had references to actual characters, is that really so? Are they registered somewhere?

There is a google doc that someone made during the first campaign:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1siRBxjeqiYPfpG6XtlNjOX32...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TV0R wrote:
Ciniconoclasta wrote:
racer06 wrote:
Ciniconoclasta wrote:

There is a google doc that someone made during the first campaign:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1siRBxjeqiYPfpG6XtlNjOX32... T6

Thanks! some of them seem pretty obvoius a posteriori, I thought Ward Phillips was rhe exception...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop Harber
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a Cthulhu nut. I buy nearly everything I can get my hands on that it Cthulhu related. My house might as well be a shrine.

That said, Deep Madness was the third boardgame I ever pledged for and the longest ever to wait for so far.

I can't get it off my table. I'm enthralled with it. It might even overtake Village Attacks as my go-to for a while.

Cthulhu: Death May Die ... Mmm.. I kept looking at it. Pledged. Unpledged. Pledged. Unpledged. Pledged a dollar. I'm not going for it. There's something about it that screams "we're soaking up the fad here." It's pretty, but it seems weak.

Deep Madness is just infuriatingly incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scarletcarnival wrote:
I'm a Cthulhu nut. I buy nearly everything I can get my hands on that it Cthulhu related. My house might as well be a shrine.

That said, Deep Madness was the third boardgame I ever pledged for and the longest ever to wait for so far.

I can't get it off my table. I'm enthralled with it. It might even overtake Village Attacks as my go-to for a while.

Cthulhu: Death May Die ... Mmm.. I kept looking at it. Pledged. Unpledged. Pledged. Unpledged. Pledged a dollar. I'm not going for it. There's something about it that screams "we're soaking up the fad here." It's pretty, but it seems weak.

Deep Madness is just infuriatingly incredible.

Wow, that's a strong endorsement! I think I'll stay in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Herreras
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scarletcarnival wrote:
It's pretty, but it seems weak.

that was exactly my feel, judging just the game, not the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree CDMD seems a little beer and pretzel but it also has Rob Daviau as a writer. I assume the writing will be well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop Harber
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like Village Attacks too. It's quick to pick up, plays well, and the campaigns are not too easy to get boring even when played multiple times with different monster configurations. Vanguard of War tickled me too and I still get that out (and I went all in for the new Zombie expansion), but Village Attacks seems like a better thought out version of that too.

Deep Madness is just infuriating. I've given up on trying to play each scenario until I win to move on. I just play and move on. I'll go back and do the ones I lost again later. It's infuriating—did I say that already? But it's the challenge, finally, in a boardgame that motivates you to keep it on the table over and over again. I can't say that I've found that it too many other games.

Cthulhu: Death May Die, and especially the way they hit the KS running with that whole Cthulhu piece, just came out as a money grab. I truly love my Cthulhu collectibles, but I want things that are actually worth my money too and not every little thing people want to push because they jumped on the bandwagon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.