GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,766 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ward the Shores variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aubrey
msg tools
After playing Ward the Shores this weekend in a slog that took much longer than a normal Spirit Island game and was much more frustrating, I am beginning to realize some flaws with the scenario. I really like the theme and the feel of the Warding Patterns, but in practice it is just way too costly to use power cards to create Warding Patterns. It costs a card play (fine), potentially some energy (ok - unless there is a surprise), it has to be on a sacred site (ok), and it generates zero elements (ouch!).

Although the energy cost isn't too bad, not gaining access to a full card's worth of elements AND getting an effect that won't help you at all for at least one turn, if not more, is not something people are usually willing to do.

In my experience, no one actually begins to play the patterns until you look up and realize that you are going to lose in 2-3 turns (either due to invader deck or blight), and then everyone starts trying to hurry in a last ditch effort to place them all. I don't think that is how it is intended to be played, but it has happened basically every time.

Are there any reasonable fixes to this? My first thought would be to increase the energy cost by 1 or 2, but to allow them to generate elements based on the committed card. Would that be balanced? Are there other possible solutions?

Likewise, you could have a penalty built in for moving too slowly - maybe whenever you reach a new invader stage, for every board that does not have at least as many Warding Patterns as the previous stage (i.e. 1 going into Stage 2, or 2 going into stage 3) has an automatic coastal explore for free.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The defend 3 you get for a ward is excellent, and you can ignore the normal victory conditions; just get the wards down and you win.

Sounds like your group just needs to make more of an effort to get the wards out early - waiting until near the end of the game is risky.

We dont find this scenario to add any extra difficulty (or time), it just adds a bit of variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor van Santen
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We built them early in our game and the game was actually a bit quicker than usual. Even on the first turns (for 0 energy), you can quickly get a couple of wards up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silent117 wrote:
We built them early in our game and the game was actually a bit quicker than usual. Even on the first turns (for 0 energy), you can quickly get a couple of wards up.

The trick is that it's range zero from a sacred site. For spirits who don't drop presence quickly, getting three sacred sites on their three coastal lands can take a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.