GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions after reviewing rules & cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Saumer
Canada
Leduc
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren’t spoilers unless you are avoiding reading artifacts/items/etc before encountering them in game.

Q.1) Silverlace Projectiles – Recipe Deck IT#FR43
Text: "EXHAUST weapon to cause BURST 2 Damage [Enhancement]".

Do you Exhaust the weapon after a successful attack, or do you declare before the attack, or does the Burst 2 Damage occur regardless of your attack's success?
Or instead, is the Exhaust effect NOT associated with an attack?
Exhaust the card is my Act for the turn (instead of an attack)... so can I Exhaust an empty ammo weapon using this ability? Seems not thematically accurate.

My assumption is: Exhaust when declaring an attack, the Burst happens regardless of hit success.

Q.2) Staff of Moses – Ability in expansion AB#PO19
If the Cobra Companion is already deployed anywhere (even on yourself), presumably you receive 15 coins (per Rulebook) with no other effect?

Edit 1: Found this. Is Staff of Moses ability a "Summon Ally" such as per this link or does the cobra become a permanent Ally addition? The card never says the word "summon", and it's not a figure with full attacks/defense so I'm assuming it's not the same.

Q.3) Aegean Round – Item deck IT#FC62 & Steel Shield – Equipment Deck FL44/EQ103
The shields have exhaust effects listed on the cards. The rulebook describes a shield exhaust effect that isn’t printed on shields and it requires Tinker repairs in town.

Please confirm: all shields have the inherent rulebook effect which requires tinker repair in town, and any printed shield abilities are “in addition” and they un-exhaust at end of encounter/transition when used for printed effects. This is a bit confusing with Steel Shield which has the same ability for both exhaust effects… but you would obviously always use the printed effect.

Q.4) Homunculus Jar – Artifact in expansion AT#DA02
"Your attacks against Occultists steals Vita from your target, and you gain 1 Vita".

Does your attack give you the equivalent amount of Vita (as recovered Vita) based on your damage, plus gain 1 Vita bonus? Or does your attack simply give you: gain 1 Vita on hit?

Q.5) Tyrfing – Artifact in Expansion AT#DA04
"+10 Might, or 1d10+1 vs. Mortals"
It does not indicate definitively what the 1d10+1 applies to (ie: Damage or Might?). I assume Damage, and that it replaces the printed damage dice (2d4).

When facing Mortals, are you required to take the second option? I assume you can choose which option before making each attack roll.

Q.6) Bone Dice – Arcanist unique item, & Book of Lost Symbols – Archaeologist unique item (applies generically to timing for adding values to dice rolls)

Can these items be used/exhausted AFTER rolling the dice to see if they’re needed “to hit” or to succeed “skill check”, or do they have to be used prior to making the attempt roll?

Q.7) ANSWERED. Rajput Flying Disc – Item deck IT#FC91
"THROWN": Rulebook Glossary says "Thrown: Exhaust to throw a melee weapon with the same rules as Ranged 3". However, the disc has the double-arrow icon that it is a ranged weapon.

I suggest this card should include clarifying text or be made into a melee weapon with “THROWN”. I think the confusion (for me?) comes since Xena warrior princess’ chakram returns to the thrower for infinite uses. A Chakram (per Wikipedia) can be used primarily thrown, or as hand-to-hand – so melee THROWN could thematically work. I understand ranged with “ammo” doesn’t work since abilities would be able to increase ammo and break item theme.

It appears the intent is a low cost “single use per combat” ranged weapon.
Same question answered here if this Peter Schmidt is the credited playtester for semi-official answer: the Rajput Flying Disc exhausts upon one use.

Q.8) ANSWERED. Corrosion – Base game condition/tokens
Assuming Corrosion tokens disappear if they’re still on a character at end of combat, does the character take the remaining damage that hasn't yet been taken, or does the damage not occur?
Again per Peter Schmidt the corrosion tokens “tick” each round including leadership token changes on world map – so carry over your corrosion out of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso M.
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
It is not important to win, it is important not to lose!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Q.1) Silverlace Projectiles – Recipe Deck IT#FR43
Text: "EXHAUST weapon to cause BURST 2 Damage [Enhancement]".

I would suggest to simply exhaust to deal that damage in the same way you would use a consumable. It should not depend on your attack.

Quote:
Q.2) Staff of Moses – Ability in expansion AB#PO19
If the Cobra Companion is already deployed anywhere (even on yourself), presumably you receive 15 coins (per Rulebook) with no other effect?

Not sure. I would rule that the staff cannot be used. I believe the 15 coin consolation prize is for when you would involuntarily get a specific companion - i.e. as a reward - and you already have that one or exceed the maximum you can have.

Quote:
Q.3) Aegean Round – Item deck IT#FC62 & Steel Shield – Equipment Deck FL44/EQ103
The shields have exhaust effects listed on the cards. The rulebook describes a shield exhaust effect that isn’t printed on shields and it requires Tinker repairs in town.

All shields are considered broken after use (exhausted). So I would go with the rulebook on this one.

Quote:
Q.4) Homunculus Jar – Artifact in expansion AT#DA02
"Your attacks against Occultists steals Vita from your target, and you gain 1 Vita".
Does your attack give you the equivalent amount of Vita (as recovered Vita) based on your damage, plus gain 1 Vita bonus? Or does your attack simply give you: gain 1 Vita on hit?

I think the 'steals Vita from your target' is just there for rationale/flavour. You just gain 1 Vita every time you attack, hit or no hit.

Quote:
Q.5) Tyrfing – Artifact in Expansion AT#DA04
"+10 Might, or 1d10+1 vs. Mortals"
It does not indicate definitively what the 1d10+1 applies to (ie: Damage or Might?). I assume Damage, and that it replaces the printed damage dice (2d4).

Good one. That's meat for errata: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2062706/official-errata-2e-...

In the meantime, I would use it in the way you propose.

Quote:
[b]Q.6) Bone Dice – Arcanist unique item, & Book of Lost Symbols – Archaeologist unique item (applies generically to timing for adding values to dice rolls)[b]
Can these items be used/exhausted AFTER rolling the dice to see if they’re needed “to hit” or to succeed “skill check”, or do they have to be used prior to making the attempt roll?

We play it that any item that provides a bonus upon character's choice may be used before or after the roll. So, usually better after. But we could be wrong. We like it that way for thematic purposes: roll the bone dice, oh nearly made it... but look the dice haven't settled yet... wee magic blow... tadaaa skill check passed.

I'd bring up the question to the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nordell

North Carolina
msg tools
mb
Q.3) Re:Shields
I remember it being stated by the creator that for all items which have both cards and tokens, the cards and tokens behave exactly the same. Therefore, I have been assuming that any shield tokens should behave the same as any shield cards (i.e. can be exhausted and then repaired).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Ferris
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
On Q.7) There is a similar recent thread on the Facebook group and the following answer was given there:
by Justin Boehm "I actually talked to Will about the disc and he advised he would treat as you being allowed to use it as a melee weapon without throwing it for the stats listed. It may have been a misprint or maybe not, but I'll take the designer at his advice on how to use it."
In Justin's answer he was referring to Will Donovan, the game designer.
So that would seem to be similar to the Wikipedia description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.