GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,698 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Cataclysm: A Second World War» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Cataclysm Freshly Pressed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
“No, no. No, no. I do not need this game. Wife’s taken the voodoo doll out on me already from last year’s haul,” he said a couple of months ago. (Cancels his preorder. Ignores the GMT Sale. Sees it on his local store’s shelf last week. Hugs his sides while he stares at its box. Reads a glowing review here just a few hours ago and buys it immediately. It's mine.)

What I’d like to do here is give an out of the box glimpse that captures and supplements some detail possibly missed in video form, because if what’s inside matches its promise, we should all be happy grand sandbox strategists.

Manuals

Blessedly printed on matt paper stock. Whoever made this decision knows their stuff. The thick gloss paper GMT uses every now and then (most notably for me in Skies Above the Reich) not only glares under lights and is impossible to pencil up, it shows every crease received in perpetuity. But not so this matt stuff. You can even glue errata on it if you wish, I’ve found it that user-friendly in the past.

Charts

These full-sized and multi panel charts are as robust as they come. Thick is the word. GMT didn’t skimp on the card stock for these. They’ll take quite a beating without any plastic protection.

Bits and Pieces

The mass of wooden blocks is standard GMT fare, yet, tinted in a way that should be kind for color blindness. The 9 dice are useable. I’ll swap mine out for some Chessex alternatives but their tri-factional coloring for a set per player (red, blue, black), is a nice touch. Smaller factional cards and reference charts are quite robust too; I’d reckon 1/2 to 2/3 the weight of their larger brethren meaning they’ll fit under plexi without any perceptible lift just fine.

Maps

Ok. There’s a review here that mentions the game’s twin standalone 17 x 22 inch maps are delicate. This was no understatement. They are nowhere near the paper thickness GMT used to offer a few years back nor do they match the top quality of some other publishers of late, notably Compass Games’ exceptional matt treatments.

Don’t despair though—simply unfold them when ready for use and place them under plexi straight away. I feel the only way they’ll last repeated unfolding is with extreme care. Though sturdy enough to have survived manufacturing and initial folding in good shape, their seams still look vulnerable. Thankfully, a P500 mounted map set is already on offer for 2019. Note to GMT—don’t wait for your numbers, just rush these out asap please. They’ll sell.

Counters

On the other hand, the game’s two counter sheets are GMT Deluxe thickness. They’re push-out eager and clamouring for a 3mm rounder: though a few of them, while perfectly centered, are printed close to their corners, meaning a 2mm might be the way to go. I’ll confirm this later.

In summary

The components of Cataclysm are gorgeous. Not as wabi-sabi as the recent Hitler’s Reich and that’s a good thing, just take care of your maps.

I hope this short coverage supplements the in-box information already out there. Pics, of course, come from mine I've just unwrapped from shrink.

Folks all up, I couldn't be happier with this unique offering.

Happy gaming,
Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's mounted maps and a 3 inch box on the P500 right now, which I quickly pre-ordered. This is a very good game that is crying out for a deluxe treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Excellent game. One of the few I would bother to get an upgrade for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put my preorder in last night too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised here's the game under prep using the Oregon Laminations Standard 3mm Rounder.

No problem with these well-centered counters. 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm will look fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And having counted the blocks (12-32 depending on national Power) it was great to see a spare of each provided. There were no extras in the recent Hitler's Reich.

These are "Power Cubes" used to indicate various kinds of national status. In sequence they show (top row) Japan, France, USA, (bottom row) Italy, UK, Germany, Soviet Union.

The tan coloured block in the lower left is actually meant to be white, representing Neutral countries. It's not a major glitch by any means and if it aesthetically proves bothersome, you need 16 of them, white wooden cubes can be found at most hobby stores. These are 1 cm square.

Pic: Extra Power Cubes. Not too shabby looking for my rejects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
*hugs self and rocks*: "I do not need this game. I do not need this game..."

Don't think I'm going to last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
*hugs self and rocks*: "I do not need this game. I do not need this game..."

It's OK. You're among friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.