Barrage» Forums » General

Subject: Player board mechanic is like Gaia project or scythe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does this use same mechanic like scythe and Gaia project the player board. And main board what mechanic does it use like other games. Sorry want back this but have no time watch the video only backing because of developer past games experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi
look here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2088953/did-someone-try-gam...
I asked more or less the same things (even more times). I was worried it looked like Scythe (which did not convince me a lot) or Power Grid (I love).
They answered me it is very different. I also read the rulebook (unluckily not the final version, I did not have time and I had already done the pledge).The game looks solid and good.
I think the water flow is really amazing.
Remember there will not be any PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lefebvre
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
For your player board, same mechanic as GP : when you build something, your earn one shot ou recurrent income.

For the main board, its very original, you have to build your stuffs in order to controle the flux of water to make power; but you have to take care of other players because they can stole your water by deviating the flow. Furthermore, you have an insteresting wheel mechanisme where your spent ressources come back few turns later, timing timing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes you are perfectly right: the mechanic of the player board looks similar to Terra mystica...I do not own GP, but probably they are very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glitterfolie wrote:
Hi
look here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2088953/did-someone-try-gam...
I asked more or less the same things (even more times). I was worried it looked like Scythe (which did not convince me a lot) or Power Grid (I love).
They answered me it is very different. I also read the rulebook (unluckily not the final version, I did not have time and I had already done the pledge).The game looks solid and good.
I think the water flow is really amazing.
Remember there will not be any PM.

Thanks for reply. If no PM doe it mean question not answered. Sorry didnt understand PM related to this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I added the problem of the PM, because if you are interested in the full pledge with this 3D map, you will not be able to have it at the retailers.
However if you are uncertain and you are not interested in the full pledge, the core box+expansion will be sold at the retailers after Essen 2019.
I have no personal interest, because I did not do the full pledge and for me the campaign is finished with the previous SG. It was just a note for you.

However in a previous post I asked if it was similar to Terra mystica (which is more or less GP) among a bunch of other heavy games. They answered me here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2085831/it-similar-power-gr...
I quote:
"Barrage really doesn't remind me of any of the games you've mentioned. The way water flows and the way time is used as a resource aren't similar to any mechanisms present in any of the games you own so I think Barrage would definitely have a different feel compared to anything already in your collection."
The water mechanic is the main board.

Good luck with your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched the entirety of Heavy Cardboard's video demo, and I can say it has the same aspect of building stuff to gain stuff off of your player board. But, that is where similarity stops. It is more abstract in that you are not controlling men on a map; you are harnessing energy from where the water flows by adding conduits and dams. And then with the energy you have contracts to fulfill for victory points. This is more worker placement spaces, which you do not find in GP or Scythe. So, playerboard, yes, similar:the rest, not at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What games Barrage is like ...

Anyone play "Clowns and Balloons" back in the days of 8-bit Atari machines? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3agDlhFh1hU

Ok, I'm more than half joking here, but Barrage's water mechanism does sort of remind me a bit of games like that. You see where the clown (water) is heading at the end of the turn, and you try to get your trampoline (dam) in position to intercept it. And you try to angle your trampoline (build conduit / power plant pairs) in such a way as to redirect the clown (water) in such a way as to maximize the balloons you pop (energy you produce, both in the current link and possibly a further dam system downstream). In the case of Barrage, it's a multiplayer competitive game, so you're trying to arrange the above elements to benefit you while minimizing benefit to other players.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dos Rios always comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.