GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,128 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: Auxiliary actions and 3 dollars bonus from train movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Z
Estonia
flag msg tools
Here is the rules:

The last space of the railroad track (space 39) is special. If your engine
reaches this space, its movement ends there (and you may upgrade
the train station as usual). en you must move your engine backwards.
You must move your engine at least one space backwards and
may move it to any free space along the track (even a turnout space). Aer you have done
so, immediately gain 3 Dollars. If you did move it to a turnout space, you can immediately
upgrade its train station as usual (and even use the money which you just received).

Correct me if i wrong:
1. When i use any building to move train forward (in backward direction), i will get 3 dollars.
2. When i use auxiliary action to move train forward (in backward direction) i will get 3 dollars.

Question is, if i use double auxiliary actions, will it count as 2 moves, and i will get 6 dollars, or it will be counted as single move?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
?!

The action granted by the last space on the railroad track is not a building or auxiliary action.

If you reach then end of the railroad you move your train back and receive 3 dollars. This has nothing to do with building or auxiliary actions and is not triggered by them. If you triggered it via an auxiliary or building action you complete this first and then take the end of track action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is important to note that you will only get it if you move to the end. So let's say you move back 20 spaces, you do not recieve 3 dollars for moving your train unless you reach space 39 again.

Given that, I think it is fair to assume that you can, using double auxilliary actions to move your train to space 39, move back and recieve 3 dollars, and then as the second action move your train again to space 39, move back and recieve 3 dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:
The action granted by the last space on the railroad track is not a building or auxiliary action.

You might reach the last space, by using an auxilliary action. I think that is what is meant here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The $3 bonus is only for moving backwards after reaching the end of the track. It is not granted for any other backwards movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acrashik wrote:
Correct me if i wrong:
1. When i use any building to move train forward (in backward direction), i will get 3 dollars.
2. When i use auxiliary action to move train forward (in backward direction) i will get 3 dollars.

I think you are misunderstanding how the final space works. It sounds like you want to turn your engine around and move backwards on future moves.

That is not how it works. When you arrive at the final space, you immediately:
A) Choose another space somewhere on the track and move your train there.
B) Gain 3 dollars
C) If you moved to a turnout space you may upgrade it.

This all happens on the same turn as you reach the final space. If you make any more moves in later turns, they will work as normal (moving forwards). You might even reach the final space again and perform steps a-c again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Z
Estonia
flag msg tools
After i reached station 39, train does not start moving backwards from this moment?

As i uderstood:

a. Reached station 39. Stopped. Build a station.
b. Reversed train backwards.
c. From that moment every time train moved you will get 3 dollars, as it's reversed and moving backwards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acrashik wrote:
After i reached station 39, train does not start moving backwards from this moment?

Nope. You take an instant jump backwards, but everything else stays the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
tomasgudm wrote:
I think it is important to note that you will only get it if you move to the end. So let's say you move back 20 spaces, you do not recieve 3 dollars for moving your train unless you reach space 39 again.

Given that, I think it is fair to assume that you can, using double auxilliary actions to move your train to space 39, move back and recieve 3 dollars, and then as the second action move your train again to space 39, move back and recieve 3 dollars.

I think you are not permitted to split a double auxiliary action in that way. The rule book states for the forward train movement you may either pay $1 and move your train one space or pay $2 and move your train two spaces. On page 12 under Move your engine forward on the railroad track:
Quote:
You may always choose to move your engine fewer spaces forward than allowed. However, once you decide to stop on a space, you
instantly forfeit any excess movement you might have left from that action. So if you move to a turnout space to upgrade its train
station (see below), that action is concluded, even if you moved fewer spaces to get there than you could have.

So, if you were one space from the last station, paid $2 to move two spaces, moved only one into the last station, and elected to upgrade that station, then the remainder of your movement (one space) is lost. In order to move forward again the building which allowed the initial train movement would either have to have another action allowing train movement available or a free move to another building allowing train movement.

Edit: Looks like I got ninja'ed multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acrashik wrote:

This would be an interesting (and thematic) twist though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Z
Estonia
flag msg tools
Thanks!
Thanks everyone, I finally understood how the end track logic works.
You rich end point (39), build station, and then game kinda teleports your train to any other free space on whole track, on your choice (minimum 1 back). And then you get 3 buck.

Thank you Geek Overmind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.