GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,457 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Everdell» Forums » Rules

Subject: Short question about self triggering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Schraut
Germany
Karlsruhe
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do cards like

"When you place a structure..."
"when you play a critter..."

Trigger on them self after they are being played?

Sorry if this was already asked. I did not find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odysseus X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
basically when it says "when you place a structure" it refers to when you place one after that card has been played. It doesnt trigger from itself. its any structure/creature from that point on. and only in your tableau

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim Williams gave the best response to this question that I have ever seen in this thread:

entwife wrote:
Someone once explained this general game property as something like (I can't remember the exact wording, so forgive my poorer rendition):

"If you hire a butler, they can answer the door to everyone who arrives at your house after that point, but they can never have answered the door to themselves"

So, no, cards don't trigger themselves when you play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
Kim Williams gave the best response to this question that I have ever seen in this thread:

entwife wrote:
Someone once explained this general game property as something like (I can't remember the exact wording, so forgive my poorer rendition):

"If you hire a butler, they can answer the door to everyone who arrives at your house after that point, but they can never have answered the door to themselves"

So, no, cards don't trigger themselves when you play them.

It's the loveliest thing to have someone quote you for saying something helpful - that put a big smile on my face!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Snyder
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Those are all blue cards, and as the poster above me stated, they do not trigger themselves. The only cards that trigger when placed are green (and trigger in spring and fall) and brown cards (only ever trigger when placed). That helps me remember, although YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cyr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I know the descriptions of most such cards in the Index in the rule book specifically state that they do not get the benefit for playing themself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E

Florida
msg tools
mb
I've often wondered about the timing of these too... so if say I get a berry when I play a critter, and then I play a critter that had a one time/instant use that can use a berry but do not have any, do I get the berry for playing him before his ability would trigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl S.
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the correct sequence is card text effect before other triggered effects. All other triggered effects can be played in any order defined by the active player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schraut
Germany
Karlsruhe
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx everybody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.