GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,854 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Fireworks» Forums » General

Subject: First impressions based on unpacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
I finally decided to give the game a chance and made the purchase. After going through the components, I tried packing it back up to see how you would store it all.

I will say that storage is an afterthought in this game. In fact, there is no thought at all put into storage. It's just the inside cardboard tray that you see in the pictures, which is actually part of the game and holds the tiles as you play. Because of the angles inside, there is no place to put anything really. All you can do is plop the launcher tube on the bottom, and throw the tiles and cards on the side, then balance the board on the top. You can either store all the tiles loose, or keep them in bags. I would recommend using 2 bags - it comes with a large bag which holds all the tiles, but I would separate them for ease of setup - keep the main tiles in the large bag, and get a separate smaller bag for the beginning setup tiles and special tiles/markers, to make setup easy. Keep the dice in the small baggie and store it in the launcher tube to keep it from rolling around and damaging the cards.

It's an inelegant way to store it all for sure, and I wish they had made the box a bit deeper and allowed you to lift out an insert to store the parts underneath or something.

All 4 oversized player aid cards had a nasty crease/bend from how they were stored just rattling around inside the box. I would recommend storing them on top of the boards to keep them safe, if yours arrive undamaged to begin with.

The art itself is very attractive. The boards were perfectly flat and are a nice thickness. The cards are very colorful and nicely printed with no production issues, creases or crimps. The tiles were all pre-punched which is much appreciated, and they all looked great. Vivid color and nicely centered for the most part. I like the effort they took with the artwork - the special tiles are 2 each per set, but just because, they made each one of the pairs slightly different, instead of having the exact same art on each. Nice touch.

Once you know how to identify the 2 different types of blossoms, they're not that difficult to tell apart, though I imagine some people will still struggle with telling them apart. Overall it's a very nice-looking game. The colors are vivid and the artwork is fun. The only issue I have is the sloppy storage.

As far as the box top not closing, there is some truth to this. With it all packed in as best as I could, the top closes "mostly", but it does lift up slightly. The tube just doesn't sit exactly on the bottom due to the other parts working their way underneath a bit, and that raises it just enough that everything is high enough to raise the box top just slightly. In fact, just as I removed the shrink wrap, you could see the box top was lifted a bit. With the shrink on you could feel the top bulging a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.