GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: How does Michael McGlen's Ol' Boiler work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says: "After you perform a move action, you may deal two damage to one monster you are engaged with..." (emphasis mine).

How can you move when you are engaged with monsters? Moving is not one of the allowed actions.

What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Digman
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Testing...1 2 3
mbmbmbmbmb
455.3 If you move into a space with a monster, that monster immediately engages you and your movement ends. (See rule 427, “Engage“)

So, if you move into a space with a non-elusive monster, it will automatically engage you, and you can hit it for 2 damage.

Use it proactively not reactively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I totally missed that rule.
Now it makes so much more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use it reactively against monsters with watcher, but those are quite rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Digman
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Testing...1 2 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
You can also use it reactively against monsters with watcher, but those are quite rare.

I have not see that keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jondigman wrote:
Clipper wrote:

I have not see that keyword.

The whippoorwills have it, a least. Monsters with watcher don’t restrict your actions, but the whippoorwills cause you to roll one fewer die for all of your tests while you’re engaged with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlausScharpf wrote:
Thanks. I totally missed that rule.
Now it makes so much more sense.

I didn't quite understand on my first read of the card. I assumed Ol' Boiler was another weapon. When I looked closer at the card art and saw Ol' Boiler was a car, it thematically and mechanically made sense.

You're literally driving into a monster's space and ramming it to deal 2 damage. It works 2 full times, the 3rd time it does the damage and the car finally breaks down. Brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.