Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! It is finally here - the third community-driven expedition!

Everything you need to know about how to play along should be contained on the first page of the first scenario PDF:

Planar Prison (http://www.cephalofair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Planar...)
Planar Prison - printer friendly (http://www.cephalofair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Planar...)

You are also encouraged (though not required) to play along with the new Diviner class from the upcoming expansion, Forgotten Circles. Here is a PnP file and rules sheet for that:

Diviner PnP (http://www.cephalofair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Divine...)
Diviner rules sheet (http://www.cephalofair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Divine...)
(Sorry, there is no low-ink version of the PnP.)

If you have any questions on anything, feel free to ask in the comments.

And while I normally will plan on posting the end-of-scenario poll on the day following the scenario post, I am headed to BGG.Con very soon and will likely not get to it if I don't do it now, so you can find that below.

But first, speaking of BGG.Con! If you want to watch me and other cool people play through this scenario at BGG.Con, check out the BGG Twitch channel (https://www.twitch.tv/boardgamegeektv) at 10 EST tomorrow night (edit, JDA) 9:00pm EST tonight, 11/15/18!

EDIT: Also just a heads-up that I created a Geeklist (LINK) to contain any and all threads pertaining to this expedition. I'd highly recommend subscribing to it to make sure you don't miss anything.

Okay, now onto the poll (please don't read it until you've gone through the scenario!):

Poll
As you approach the shimmer, what path do you set in your mind?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
The way back to your own world.
24.2% 106
The way to unknown adventure.
57.3% 251
Approach the shimmer with indecision.
18.5% 81
Voters 438
This poll is now closed.   438 answers
Poll created by Cephalofair
Closes: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:00 am
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, I've been waiting for this all day! Even when I knew it was still the middle of the night in the USA. Thank you Isaac! Let's begin! Together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Isaac! We probably will not use the Diviner for this. Just not a fan of mixing PnP stuff with the actual components if we can avoid it. Looking forward to playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Infinite Beyond, Page 1 wrote:
Feel free to purchase any items you have already unlocked.

This is different from past mini-campaigns, yeah? If I recall, those had a pretty strict schedule for when certain prosperity items showed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was just about to go to bed, but guess I'll be staying up to read all the joyful goodness contained in these links

Being a half-asleep zombie at work tomorrow will be fine. No-one will notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried playing one of these community campaigns with characters starting at a higher level than 1? In principle this should be fine since difficulty can be scaled up appropriately. Do you foresee any issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Okay, now onto the poll (please don't read it until you've gone through the scenario!):
In my excitement, I voted before playing the scenario. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Has anyone tried playing one of these community campaigns with characters starting at a higher level than 1? In principle this should be fine since difficulty can be scaled up appropriately. Do you foresee any issues?
Shouldn't be any significant issues, but I plan on having character level up rather quickly throughout the scenarios, so starting at higher levels may lead to hitting level 9 before the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see some enhancement slots on the Diviner cards with teleport abilities. Can these be enhanced in the same restricted way as Move abilities, or is this considered a positive effect like Shield or Heal that you could enhance with e.g. Bless or Strengthen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:
Shouldn't be any significant issues, but I plan on having character level up rather quickly throughout the scenarios, so starting at higher levels may lead to hitting level 9 before the end.

Oh great, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
5hrike wrote:
I see some enhancement slots on the Diviner cards with teleport abilities. Can these be enhanced in the same restricted way as Move abilities, or is this considered a positive effect like Shield or Heal that you could enhance with e.g. Bless or Strengthen?
Those can only be enhanced with a +1, like a Move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the Diviner pdfs, I suppose it's too late, but man, the attack modifier cards that say "Ally" look really similar to the ones that say "Self" at that font size.

I also realize I don't know what a monster does if it becomes disarmed in the middle of its move. Does it reevaluate or continue to its originally chosen destination? I'd guess the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Looking at the Diviner pdfs, I suppose it's too late, but man, the attack modifier cards that say "Ally" look really similar to the ones that say "Self" at that font size.

I also realize I don't know what a monster does if it becomes disarmed in the middle of its move. Does it reevaluate or continue to its originally chosen destination? I'd guess the latter.
1)
the character sheet will remind you that they are different
2)
monsters first evaluate, then perform their actions, they never reevaluate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timon Bakker
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is super excited for these thanks!
Do you know if they will print ok in A4 format?
Edit: Looks like they will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
any2cards
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never had the opportunity to play in one of these. My group is going to set aside our on going campaign to participate.

I notice that in the rules, Isaac specifies that this will encompass 18 weeks, with a new scenario coming out every two weeks. I assume this means that there will be 9 or 10 scenarios in the whole mini-campaign. He further states in this thread that he and his group will be playing tomorrow night.

Given the above schedule, and for those who may have played in the first two, how long do you have to play the scenario, and still be able to vote on the direction the next one goes?

In other words, he posted the first one today (11/14/2018). The next should come out around 11/28/2018 or so.

Do I have a week to play this first one? Do I have 10 days? Do I have literally up until the next one is posted?

I just want to make sure that we play it in a timely manner so that our votes will be counted ! (By the way, I assume the tabulating is not occurring in Broward County, FL !) LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:
1)
the character sheet will remind you that they are different

Huh? I'm not going to cross-reference the character sheet every time I draw a modifier, so how would it "remind" me? If I feel I don't know which one it is I'll just read the card anyway. The trouble I'm anticipating is drawing the card and unwittingly misreading it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Ruggeri
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Are players allowed to take the bonus perks granted from previous character retirements when starting the community campaigns? Since things like unlocked classes and items are allowed, just curious about how much of the legacy rules apply here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, don't apply bonus perks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler tag contains question about token 2 placed during the scenario.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When a character steps on the 2nd pressure plate before killing the 2nd harrower infester, you read section 6. If you then kill the harrower before any other "team of enemies", do you still read section 3 then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
since when does heal say "Affect one ally within range x" instead of just range x?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
since when does heal say "Affect one ally within range x" instead of just range x?

The difference is that this ability can't target yourself. Other heal abilities that just have a range can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:

The difference is that this ability can't target yourself. Other heal abilities that just have a range can.

good catch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Johnson
msg tools
Is there a print and play version of the player attack modifier decks available that match the Diviner attack mod cards? I couldn't find it from searching... only the printer's studio versions. I'd like to print a set for Diviner so I can't easily tell which type of card (player or Diviner attack mod) I'm getting when I draw one.

Edit: I'm not as think as you dumb I am! https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/141840/extra-attack-modif...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ng
msg tools
mb
Cephalofair wrote:
If you want to watch me and other cool people play through this scenario at BGG.Con, check out the BGG Twitch channel (https://www.twitch.tv/boardgamegeektv) at 10 EST tomorrow night!

Might be a really dumb question, 10pm EST tomorrow night is what day EST time? Sorry, I'm in Australia and it's easy to mix up the exact timezones (I have tuned in to live streams before a day early/late before), just want to get the exact date/time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercury_sn wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
If you want to watch me and other cool people play through this scenario at BGG.Con, check out the BGG Twitch channel (https://www.twitch.tv/boardgamegeektv) at 10 EST tomorrow night!

Might be a really dumb question, 10pm EST tomorrow night is what day EST time? Sorry, I'm in Australia and it's easy to mix up the exact timezones (I have tuned in to live streams before a day early/late before), just want to get the exact date/time

30 hours after the timestamp of the first post in this thread, which is 4:03pm EST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |