GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Maiden's Quest» Forums » General

Subject: I love the stories this game produces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thalfon Silversail
Canada
flag msg tools
I just finished a round of Maraiana vs King Shawl.

The last hand has Kaster "saving" Samuel then using his distract to shift Samuel out of the fight (to dodge Samuel's downgrade) while Snickers the Familiar rides a Dragon Whelp Buddy who had just turned on Shawl alongside Maraiana, in her Evening Attire, whose Shredded Wings are suddenly restored to Glitter Wings in a burst of light, allowing her to drive her Halberd through King Shawl's crown.

I love that it's so easy to picture all this going on like it's part of a slightly crazier Jim C. Hines novel.

Anyone else run into some rather fitting scenarios, whether victory, loss, or just something unique that happened along the way? (Sorry if this belongs in sessions btw... I figured one hand hardly counted as a session.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nolte
United States
La Habra Heights
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of the upgrades/downgrades in this game make a measure of sense, like Fairy Wings downgrading to Torn Wings, or a Halberd upgrading to a Swiss-Army Halberd . Others make me go, "Huh?" My favorite story so far revolves around one such card.

Heavy footfalls fade into the distance, Tatiana released the breathe she hadn't realized she was holding. "It's gone. For a creature with two heads, it wasn't very bright."

Tatiana surveyed the room she hastily hid in to avoid the ettin. Clean enough, thankfully. A large hearth lay cold. Herbs hung from the rafters. Pots and pans lay cleaned in a washbasin. On a chopping block lay a ham. On the next counter, a crusty loaf of brown bread. A bowl of fruit. A wheel of cheese. The kitchen.

Death had kept Tatiana in this dungeon for a long time. Death didn't eat, but Death's company did. Thankfully the cook was nowhere in sight. A nice man; the cook had always spoken kindly to Tatiana. But the cook was fiercely loyal: would have given Tatiana's hiding place away.

"This dungeon is vast," Tatiana thought to herself. "I'm not hungry yet, but I will be." Tatiana prepared some food. Trusty knife in hand, Tatiana carved a few slices of ham, bread and cheese. "I wish there were mustard," Tatiana mused to herself. Hardly fit for a king, but serviceable ham sandwiches, nonetheless. Her knife, which served her well a few levels down to slay that goblin, lays discarded, its blade dull. Good riddance to the creature. That pesky goblin oft harassed her through her cell door. "Onward."

In case the narrative didn't convey it, Tatiana fled from an ettin, downgraded the knife to a ham sandwich. A single combat for a double diplomacy. A worthwhile trade. That ham sandwiches later saved the day against an Evil Consort. It was the only card in that fan that had Diplomacy. I just image Tatiana having a lovely lunch with the Death's Consort over tea and ham sandwiches, and winning her over. It made me laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.