GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,867 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Lincoln» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a battle be started if attacker has no card to play as leader? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say the attacker must play a card face down when initiating an attack. Is it intended therefore that a player cannot start a battle if they do not have a card in hand to play for Leadership?

We decided to follow a strict reading of the term “must play”, and decided that a combat cannot be initiated by a player who does not have a card available to play face down. Do we all agree?

Loving this game, by the way. The rules do have inconsistencies and gaps, but if a definitive answer can be agreed on, play can proceed. Kickstarter-exclusive Bonus content for rules-wranglers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it the way you played it. It is how the rules are written but could still do with an official confirmation in an faq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we play it as well... Attacker MUST play a card (as stated in the rules), defender MAY play a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played yet and have only glanced through the rules, but I thought it meant that the attacker had to play a card whether getting a benefit from Leadership or not. I.e., you could play any card, but only one with Leadership gave a bonus to the attack.

Was this wrong and the "must play a card" rule means you can only attack if you have and play a Leadership card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s how I interpret it for now, unless there is an official FAQ ruling later. I’m typically a rules lawyer, LOL, so when I read MUST, it is difinitive enough for me that the attacker HAS to play a card to attack. The “or they can’t attack” part is inferred in my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping for clarification on. Consensus here (and from my learned opponent on Wednesday) is that you must have a card to spend (regardless of type) to declare an attack. Strict reading of the rules suggest this, but a similarly strict reading regarding contested areas has been clarified as not the intent of the rules, so I think this may yet go either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a quote from Martin Wallace in another thread that’s a I think supports the fact you need to have a card to initiate a new attack. The bolding is my own.

Frog1 wrote:
When you declare an attack in a contested location then in effect you are moving into the second half of that location, it just makes life easier to leave your counters where they are to speed up the game.

In the example you cited a fort in the lower half of Fredricksburg would still count for the Confederates defence as the Union are actively moving in to that part of the location.

The reason that you do not have to play a card for this attack reflects the fact that your armies are already in the area and are manoeuvring on foot.

Hope that is clear

Martin Wallace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You are correct, as the attacker you must play a card in combat. No cards, no combat.

Martin Wallace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dariusz Góralski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin. I'm in shock. They don't understand clearly describe rules. Wrrr.

Quote:
2. The attacker must now play one card face down. Some
cards have a Leadership value, shown in a yellow star.
When this card is revealed, any Leadership value shown
is added to his army strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neoberger wrote:
Martin. I'm in shock. They don't understand clearly describe rules. Wrrr.

Quote:
2. The attacker must now play one card face down. Some
cards have a Leadership value, shown in a yellow star.
When this card is revealed, any Leadership value shown
is added to his army strength.

Yes, much as it has caused you shock, the purpose of my posting this question was to ask for clarification on the interpretation of “must”. Alas, I lack your admirable confidence in the precision of language used in this ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.