Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
O.K. we played AGOT again on Sunday and even though we've played about 5 times now we still had some questions that remained unanswered and caused consternation...

1. Once a battle is over do you complete the march as usual and move the attacking units to adjencent territories as required or do all the units used in the attack have to move into the area that was under attack? eg. 3 units, a knight and 2 footmen attack 2 footmen and win the battle. Then the victor decides that they would like to leave the knight behind in the area that they attacked from and move the 2 footmen into the area they attacked. Is this O.K.? And by the same token does this mean that when attacking the neutral cities if you use a march +0 order with 3 footmen + support can you then move just one footman into the neutral city?

2. A Tyrell player who only has the card 'immediatly destroy a single footman unit from the opposing players attacking troops' remaining and one footman in defence with no support is attacked by a footman and support from ships, is Tyrells power forfeit or are the footmen on either side destroyed and the area left neutral...or does tyrell destroy the footman and win.

Our group includes big LOTR Risk fans and in recent games of AGOT moans and groans have been coming from certain parties even to the extent of stating that they would never play again - which is difficult because there's only 5 of us and some of us do really like AGOT. Such a split is damn unfortunate, I think out of the 5 of us there's probably 3 of us who really enjoy AGOT and it's tense, secret bidding, card turning, order placing, backstabbing tactics and 2 of us who find all the order placing, decision making and stalemate defending, damn boring. I was Greyjoy on Sunday the guy who hates AGOT was Lannister - last time we played I was Lannister and Greyjoy destroyed me by turn 3 only Barretheons mercy kept me in the game - I tried diplomacy with Lannister and arranged to attack Tyrell if he kept to his single sea area...intially this paid off but later I found myself stretched and Lannister in a strong enough position to take Pyke - thus cutting my sea support in two. Even with this success he moaned about the game.

Maybe we need to address our diplomacy issues - we hardly make any effort at diplomacy. Can't talk about it openly across the table as everyone else starts having a go. To the extent that Barretheon, who refused to be any sort of diplomat won the game with a steady slow build up.

So basically, help us geekers. How do we persuade the cynic to take a different view of this splendidly tense game and what is the secret of diplomacy - hell I might as well be George Bush for all my failed attempts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Two questions and general thoughts on our last game...
bruce.s (#36519),

Just as a postscript to the above the guy who hates AGOT was doubley frustrated on finding that once I had used all my cards I got them back again - even though I had explained this in previous games. He thought this was a stupid rule but as Greyjoy and on the offesive I found I used all my cards twice! But still came last!!! Maybe I got a bit carried away as i've just been reading A Clash Of Kings and realised what a nutter Lord Greyjoy is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
bruce.s (#36519),

1. When you make a march, you physically move the units you want to attack into the territory that is doing the attacking (note that you don't have to move *all* of the units in the "marching" territory to the enemy territory and, in fact, some can march to a different territory). Thus, you essentially declare how many will attack beforehand and, yes, they all must stay in the territory they attacked if they win...even if it's a neutral territory.

The wish for partial commitment of troops makes it sound like your friends are trying to make this game into a Risk clone. It isn't...it's more of a hybrid of Diplomacy and LOTR: the Confrontation (although it is a unique game in its own right and very well themed). In aGoT, military tactics take a back seat (somewhat) to negotiation, bluffing and resource management. Anyway, you should try to convince them that they are comparing apples to oranges...maybe they will enjoy playing it more.

2. I'm not sure about this one, but I would say that Tyrell wins because there is no enemy army to recieve the support. (The enemy should know better than to attack them with just a footman, anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
shumyum (#36528),

Ooops. In my reply, "doing the attacking" should be replaced by "getting attacked".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shumyum (#36529),

Well I thought that the military side would be less like risk if you were able to regroup after the battle. Which is fair enough - something similar to Hammer Of The Scots. Generally it seems a bit vague as to whether you have to commit all troops to attack - thus leaving the area you are attacking from so weak. That's where the AGOT stalemates come from when everyone is too afraid to go on the offensive and ends up boringly defending what they've got for the last half of the game.

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bruce.s (#36519),
2. A Tyrell player who only has the card 'immediatly destroy a single footman unit from the opposing players attacking troops' remaining and one footman in defence with no support is attacked by a footman and support from ships, is Tyrells power forfeit or are the footmen on either side destroyed and the area left neutral...or does tyrell destroy the footman and win.

Odd, the card in my box reads: "Immediately kill one of your opponent's attacking or defending Footmen units".

Here is a quote from offcial FAQ:

Q. If Tyrell attacks a region containing a single defending Footman, and, for his House Card, he selects Ser Loras Tyrell ("Immediately kill one of your opponent's attacking or defending Footmen units"), is that an automatic victory, or do the defense and support values still count?

A: Although not specifically stated in the rulebook, whenever the last unit on one side of a battle is eliminated through a special ability, the battle immediately ends in victory for the side that still has units. The House Cards' strength is disregarded, and the House Cards are still considered used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of AGOT with no diplomacy whatsoever and we all had a miserable time. After that we played with lots of private, away-from-the-table scheming and have enjoyed the game greatly. We play a lot with 4 (using the Pyke doesn't exist / no Greyjoy on the board house rule) and find it well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bruce.s wrote:

First off, I agree with Udu on the wording of the Ser Loras card. So he will work whether you are attacking or being attacked. The only thing he cannot do is effect footmen that are supporting the battle.

Even if they have changed the wording in more recent editions, in your example Tyrell is being attacked, so Ser Loras's special ability as your describe it would be in effect.

Since, in your example, there is an enemy footman in the attacking army, Loras kills him immediately. As I understand it, because there are no longer any attacking troops (just supporting troops), the battle immediately ends with Tyrell as the winner. This is why Loras is such an awesome card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.