GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,858 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

KeyForge: Call of the Archons» Forums » General

Subject: Possibility of Multiplayer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Got a starter set, and display set of 12 decks, so have the fourteen unique decks, and two pre built decks.

Are there any rules for multiplayer?

Could it be houseruled to play with three, or four?

I know Magic, Mr Garfield's other game, had loads of options where you could play multiplayer, and just as I intend to play Keyforge, we also played Magic casually, and as a fun, fast game with my friends.

I think in Magic you attacked with your creatures to the player sitting to your right (or maybe it was left?) but has been ages since we played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treating the player to your right as your only opponent would sort-of work. However, with 3 players you wouldn't want to decrease the combat ability of the next player because that helps the player who can hurt you.... It would work better with four players, but not as well as just playing two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, also not sure how chains would work in a multi, as all three or four decks may be of varying scalability, chains mechanic works better in a 1 v 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would set the decks in player order and bid for which deck/position you wanted. Amusingly you would need fewer chains for a rock-paper-scissors set of decks. However, most games are going to be played without chains,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse M
msg tools
there was a user on here who posted his concept one 1 user only being able to reap in a multiplayer game per round. or a user could somehow steal that ability from the reaping player? i don't remember the specifics but will be looking it up as i plan to play this multiplayer as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
So far with the abilities of the cards I don’t know that a multiplayer variant would work very well.

You’d need to house rule a lot of things. I do feel like if there are enough requests for it FFG would release a special multiplayer set (that’d be awesome).

I mean, if you look at you decks on the app or website it says “call of the archons set” so we know there will be a million and one different sets coming in the future. A multiplayer set would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 player could be doable. If an ability affects only your opponent you choose which opponent, when you capture aember it gets captured on the "left side" or "right side" of the creature depending on if it came from the opponent on the left or right. Otherwise play the game normally.

If you have more than 3 split up into groups of 2 and play a mini tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ich bin dran!
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Two-headed giant might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
slothrob wrote:
Two-headed giant might work.

2 headed Archon, you mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game isn't Magic, and has some big obstacles to being multiplayer:

1) You win by reaping, not by eliminating players, so a player's just going to win with some of their opponents having no way to stop them.

2) Attacking becomes a terrible option, since you hurt yourself and the target, which benefits every other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also on board for playtesting a two-headed giant. Just off the top of my head, each team would share keys and maybe try for 5 keys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
1) You win by reaping, not by eliminating players, so a player's just going to win with some of their opponents having no way to stop them.

That's already how you win, you have enough to forge your 3rd key and your opponent can't stop you. The concern with multiplayer is that there now needs to be more players without without steal/capture effects in order to forge your keys so the game may stall for quite some time. You may want to ban Shadows.

Quote:
2) Attacking becomes a terrible option, since you hurt yourself and the target, which benefits every other player.

That's more true in magic than it is in Keyforge. In magic attacking a player hurts them and reduces your defenses, in keyforge you don't have defenses to worry about. Seeing as you can't eliminate a player, you just come to the "pile on the leader" problem again that can drag the game out.

Could be worth trying with 3, but I wouldn't recommend more than that unless it's 2v2. Maybe with 3 play the first to 2 keys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted proposed rules for a two-headed giant variant in the variants forums here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.