GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Dartmoor - 2018 Mint Tin Design Entry - COMPONENT READY! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Game Name: Dartmoor
Designer: Mike Chipman
Overview: Dartmoor is a game about tin mining in pre-industrial England. Players will mine and process tin ore to create finished products and complete contracts. (1-3 Sentences)
# of Players: 2 players
Suggested Play Time: 30 minutes
List of Components: 6 dice, 42 cards, 12 small tokens
Link to Files: soon
Proof of Concept:





PRINT AND PLAY LINK:
Print/Play Folder
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dartmoor - 2018 Mint Tin Design Entry - Idea Phase
11/16/2018 Status - Still very much in development.

Games with historical themes are some of my favs, even if the theme is somewhat pasted on.

For Dartmoor, the one thing that ties the theme to the mechanics is the "supply chain" idea - that having one thing allows you to make another.

Ultimately having finished goods allows you to finished contracts which gets you points.

Inspirations for this game include many:
Stone Age, Tiny Epic Galaxies, Container (blind bidding), and Nusfjord (go to an elder to do a thing)

Oh yeah - and a giant shoutout to Component Studio by Gamecrafter. It has made that part fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dartmoor - 2018 Mint Tin Design Entry - Idea Phase
Looks and sounds interesting!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dartmoor - 2018 Mint Tin Design Entry - Idea Phase
Love Stone Age and TEG, Not yet played Container or Nusfjord. Subbed and bookmarked. Keeping an eye on this one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dartmoor - 2018 Mint Tin Design Entry - Idea Phase
11/17/2018 Changes - Components 90% done; starting rulebook

Normally, I would write the rulebook first as a guide for making my prototype, but for this design, I chose an alternative route. I did use a bulleted list version of my rules, so I kinda cheated, but it has been fun to design in a more organic fashion.

On that note, I have plans for a solo variant. I also added a way to manipulate low die rolls as well as a 3rd die/player, per suggestions from a playtester.

Later that day

Finished the rules. I took out the blind bidding as it added to much complexity I think. I'm still open to it, but I think the current system is cleaner. PNP files available. Officially component ready.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is now component ready. I'm open to suggestions, particularly with the rulebook. What you see is the very early alpha state, complete with typos I'm sure. Feel free to comment in the document.

You'll need 6 dice (pref 2 different colored sets of 3)

Print/Play Folder
Rulebook
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded, will look over rules and print later today!
1 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Update - 11/18/2018

I have plans today to make it available on Tabletop Simulator. This is primarily so I can test it with my friends, but others would obviously be welcome to use it as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded and ready to play this week!
2 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildcard Six wrote:
Downloaded and ready to play this week!


Please let me know how it goes. I'll be playtesting this week as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
11/19/2018 - Mistakes were made

I just realized that I didn't put point values on the contracts. I'll fix that this evening.

That game can still be played without that, but since points are the end game condition, the game would just go on forever!

Fix incoming. Playtesting continues.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew, good thing I haven’t started play testing yet! I have things to do! :-)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Juhlke
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Currently designing 3 games concurrently
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
The game is now component ready. I'm open to suggestions, particularly with the rulebook. What you see is the very early alpha state, complete with typos I'm sure. Feel free to comment in the document.

Just looking through the components, I'm noticing that the components, while grouped together, don't take up a lot of the page. It'll be a lot of pages to print off with little on each page. Would you be able to provide sheets with the components, still grouped, but with filled pages?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
juhlkekarl wrote:
chipmafia wrote:
The game is now component ready. I'm open to suggestions, particularly with the rulebook. What you see is the very early alpha state, complete with typos I'm sure. Feel free to comment in the document.

Just looking through the components, I'm noticing that the components, while grouped together, don't take up a lot of the page. It'll be a lot of pages to print off with little on each page. Would you be able to provide sheets with the components, still grouped, but with filled pages?


I use Component Studio by Game Crafter. I noticed this problem as well, but I don't know how to get around it.

If you have any suggestions (or alternate programs) I'm all ears.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
juhlkekarl wrote:
chipmafia wrote:
The game is now component ready. I'm open to suggestions, particularly with the rulebook. What you see is the very early alpha state, complete with typos I'm sure. Feel free to comment in the document.

Just looking through the components, I'm noticing that the components, while grouped together, don't take up a lot of the page. It'll be a lot of pages to print off with little on each page. Would you be able to provide sheets with the components, still grouped, but with filled pages?


I use Component Studio by Game Crafter. I noticed this problem as well, but I don't know how to get around it.

If you have any suggestions (or alternate programs) I'm all ears.


I use Pixelmator on a Mac. It’s basically a version of Photoshop that doesn’t require an Adobe subscription to use. I noticed all the extra space in your PnP files, and was going to re-layout the files in Pixelmator to save on paper when I print out. I was also going to post my reworked files for you to access. However, I am sitting here at a medical center waiting for the doc to see my son (nothing serious), then I have to drive him to dance class, then pack for our trip down south for the holidays, then...

...well, the time has gotten away from me. I’ll have to focus on re-laying out and play testing when I get back this weekend.

Have a good holiday!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrHenryArmitage wrote:
chipmafia wrote:
juhlkekarl wrote:
chipmafia wrote:
The game is now component ready. I'm open to suggestions, particularly with the rulebook. What you see is the very early alpha state, complete with typos I'm sure. Feel free to comment in the document.

Just looking through the components, I'm noticing that the components, while grouped together, don't take up a lot of the page. It'll be a lot of pages to print off with little on each page. Would you be able to provide sheets with the components, still grouped, but with filled pages?


I use Component Studio by Game Crafter. I noticed this problem as well, but I don't know how to get around it.

If you have any suggestions (or alternate programs) I'm all ears.


I use Pixelmator on a Mac. It’s basically a version of Photoshop that doesn’t require an Adobe subscription to use. I noticed all the extra space in your PnP files, and was going to re-layout the files in Pixelmator to save on paper when I print out. I was also going to post my reworked files for you to access. However, I am sitting here at a medical center waiting for the doc to see my son (nothing serious), then I have to drive him to dance class, then pack for our trip down south for the holidays, then...

...well, the time has gotten away from me. I’ll have to focus on re-laying out and play testing when I get back this weekend.

Have a good holiday!


Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to try to render them as jpegs, and manipulate the picture that way. I think I can do it without much trouble.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
DrHenryArmitage wrote:
chipmafia wrote:
juhlkekarl wrote:
chipmafia wrote:
The game is now component ready. I'm open to suggestions, particularly with the rulebook. What you see is the very early alpha state, complete with typos I'm sure. Feel free to comment in the document.

Just looking through the components, I'm noticing that the components, while grouped together, don't take up a lot of the page. It'll be a lot of pages to print off with little on each page. Would you be able to provide sheets with the components, still grouped, but with filled pages?


I use Component Studio by Game Crafter. I noticed this problem as well, but I don't know how to get around it.

If you have any suggestions (or alternate programs) I'm all ears.


I use Pixelmator on a Mac. It’s basically a version of Photoshop that doesn’t require an Adobe subscription to use. I noticed all the extra space in your PnP files, and was going to re-layout the files in Pixelmator to save on paper when I print out. I was also going to post my reworked files for you to access. However, I am sitting here at a medical center waiting for the doc to see my son (nothing serious), then I have to drive him to dance class, then pack for our trip down south for the holidays, then...

...well, the time has gotten away from me. I’ll have to focus on re-laying out and play testing when I get back this weekend.

Have a good holiday!


Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to try to render them as jpegs, and manipulate the picture that way. I think I can do it without much trouble.


Here you go, Mike. I combined all the components into 5 pages to print. This is how I would arrange to save on paper. You'll just have to explain how the card fronts and backs are combined on the same page. Should be pretty self-explanatory, except for the Resource cards, you'll have to specify where the fronts end and the backs begin (unless it doesn't matter which front goes with which back).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o4d61rn8t15l9up/AACstq4WC5S50bB6n...

Hope this helps!

3 
 Thumb up
12.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrHenryArmitage wrote:


Here you go, Mike. I combined all the components into 5 pages to print. This is how I would arrange to save on paper. You'll just have to explain how the card fronts and backs are combined on the same page. Should be pretty self-explanatory, except for the Resource cards, you'll have to specify where the fronts end and the backs begin (unless it doesn't matter which front goes with which back).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o4d61rn8t15l9up/AACstq4WC5S50bB6n...

Hope this helps!



Thanks for doing that! When you print them, do you combine the front and back by gluing them or some other way?

The way I had it set up originally, you could just print duplex and it would be automatic front/back. Either way is fine. I'm just new to this Print and play stuff.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
DrHenryArmitage wrote:


Here you go, Mike. I combined all the components into 5 pages to print. This is how I would arrange to save on paper. You'll just have to explain how the card fronts and backs are combined on the same page. Should be pretty self-explanatory, except for the Resource cards, you'll have to specify where the fronts end and the backs begin (unless it doesn't matter which front goes with which back).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o4d61rn8t15l9up/AACstq4WC5S50bB6n...

Hope this helps!



Thanks for doing that! When you print them, do you combine the front and back by gluing them or some other way?

The way I had it set up originally, you could just print duplex and it would be automatic front/back. Either way is fine. I'm just new to this Print and play stuff.


No problem!

Yes, I would print each page, stick to card stock for backing, cut, and glue fronts to backs. You’ve got such few components at this stage that I would rather save paper than print duplex. If I had more time I would have figured out how to combine different sets of card fronts and backs on the same page to allow for duplex printing, but I was kind of in a rush.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dartmoor had a comfortable feel of games that I enjoy playing and I was able to jump right in (I mean this in a positive way). I like the tension of the game that made me choose which choice in resources I wanted and that I was limited to seven. I thought the Investor's ability to mitigate a lower rolled die was a nice touch. This is a game that favors the type of mechanics I like to play and I think it has replay ability.

Are the +2 removed from the game after playing or to they go back to the supply?



2 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildcard Six wrote:
Dartmoor had a comfortable feel of games that I enjoy playing and I was able to jump right in (I mean this in a positive way). I like the tension of the game that made me choose which choice in resources I wanted and that I was limited to seven. I thought the Investor's ability to mitigate a lower rolled die was a nice touch. This is a game that favors the type of mechanics I like to play and I think it has replay ability.

Are the +2 removed from the game after playing or to they go back to the supply?





Thank you for your very kind words!

The +2 tokens go back to the supply. Any criticisms of the game? I'm adding point values to the contracts (that I accidentally left off) and they will be available in the print and play files today.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
11/21/2018 - Solo Mode will be ready today!

I'm going to use a similar strategy I've seen in several newer games that features an "Automa" and make the AI do things that another player would normally be doing. It will essentially be a clock to race against.

Will have in the PnP files soon.

EDIT: Solo Mode files and rules have been updated. Enjoy!
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, you are totally speaking my language with the solo automa mode!

Dang it, I’m on Thanksgiving break with family, but I really want to try this game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
Wildcard Six wrote:
Dartmoor had a comfortable feel of games that I enjoy playing and I was able to jump right in (I mean this in a positive way). I like the tension of the game that made me choose which choice in resources I wanted and that I was limited to seven. I thought the Investor's ability to mitigate a lower rolled die was a nice touch. This is a game that favors the type of mechanics I like to play and I think it has replay ability.

Are the +2 removed from the game after playing or to they go back to the supply?





Thank you for your very kind words!

The +2 tokens go back to the supply. Any criticisms of the game? I'm adding point values to the contracts (that I accidentally left off) and they will be available in the print and play files today.


Not any of the game. I had printing issues which you had resolved.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike, I built your game tonight. Exerted a bit of effort to make the components a little more interesting graphically.



If anyone is interested in these PDFs, here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o4d61rn8t15l9up/AACstq4WC5S50bB6n...

As with the previous one I made, I combined the card fronts and backs to minimize the number of pages to print.

Now learning the rules, will post results and comments later.

Cheers!
 
 Thumb up
100
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.