GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,437 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Alex Kudlaienko
msg tools
Hi, i want to talk to you. Have you ever played such enermous and chunky game of Scythe? If the answer is yes, can you exactly tell is this game an euro or ameritrash? The answer is probably NO. It has a bit of everything combined into a mediocre boardgaming coctail(thats probably why its SO high on bgg rating). So can you say which elements from which part of gaming Scythe game and what you think of it as a game?
*Edit* Thanks for all the responses! This thread was made firstly for people to discuss this theme, i hope you found out something new while reading comments to this thread, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyThatRoll wrote:
Hi, i want to talk to you. Have you ever played such enermous and chunky game of Scythe? If the answer is yes, can you exactly tell is this game an euro or ameritrash? The answer is probably NO. It has a bit of everything combined into a mediocre boardgaming coctail(thats probably why its SO high on bgg rating). So can you say which elements from which part of gaming Scythe game and what you think of it as a game?

It's a Euro engine builder. Plastic mechs don't change that.

(And the reason it's so rated high on BGG is because it's a well made heavy Euro, which always do well on here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
ThatGuyThatRoll wrote:

It's a Euro engine builder. Plastic mechs don't change that.

(And the reason it's so rated high on BGG is because it's a well made heavy Euro, which always do well on here.)
Jup, the only thing it got from AT is the looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is totally euro (with a little splash of direct conflict). If I had to give you an example of a truely hybrid game I would say Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feels euro to me.

...Move a piece here, get goods, move back get goods, move back get points...

what are we playing again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was almost the quintessential intro to Hybrid games. Not to say other games didn’t hybridize these concepts earlier, better, or more, but Scythe seems to be the most popular one that people are familiar with, and the one that brings people (especially new gamers) across the Euro/Thematic game gap.

Maybe just my perception though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "euro" and "ameritrash" labels may have worked in the past, but the lines have become blurred enough that I think it's time to come up with a new classification system, or just give up on needing to assign everything a label and just roll with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
I thought this was almost the quintessential intro to Hybrid games. Not to say other games didn’t hybridize these concepts earlier, better, or more, but Scythe seems to be the most popular one that people are familiar with, and the one that brings people (especially new gamers) across the Euro/Thematic game gap.

Designwise I'd say the mechanics are about 98% Euro (the other 2% being the small amount of direct conflict in the game).

But I'm of the view that most supposed "hybrids" are Euros with a bit more attention paid to theme.

Exceptions: Twilight Struggle (although that's more of a Waro), Sons of Anarchy, Chaos in the Old World, Robinson Crueso. After that I start to run out although I haven't played Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:

When I think of the first big Hybrid - I'm always going to think of Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the general sentiment here. Usually the defining feature of an American-style game is "output randomness," in which you decide to do something (ATTACK THAT ZOMBIE) and then use randomness to determine how well you did it (ROLL THOSE DICE!).

Scythe has very little randomness, and is about crunchy choices and economy management. European-style game all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vir3ns wrote:
Scythe is totally euro (with a little splash of direct conflict). If I had to give you an example of a truely hybrid game I would say Eclipse.

This is the best answer here.

Scythe is fully Euro. Sure the warfare and mech look of the game are Ameritrashy, but that game is all about the Euro style of play. Scythe doesn't have much luck involved in it, which also puts it closer to Euro. The combat is determined without luck, and even the encounters all have a similar layout that you get to choose. Every card has a thing with a cost and a thing without one.

Eclipse is toeing the line though. The economic and action activations are Euro style, but the dice chucking and the military favoring are AT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyThatRoll wrote:
can you exactly tell is this game an euro or ameritrash?

Why is the distinction so important to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Souless Euro
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is a euro efficiency engine/resource management game. It has 0 elements of ameritrash (conflict is not exclusive to ameritrash games). Without high variability, player elimination, or the raw high emotions indicative of ameritrash games.

Eclipse is just space taxes, dice are also imo not enough to make something ameritrash. There is more to it than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William "Willy-Billy" Bustamante
United States
Yuba County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a Euro it is just about the only one I like so far that has been made in the last 10 years. I never really thought of it as being either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazer de Vos
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
It's a pretty pure Euro design. I'm hesitant to say, like others, that it lacks the randomness of Ameritrash games because I think it lacks the focus on drama, which I believe is an important distinction.

I don't think the encounter cards are swingy. I don't think the fighting is swingy. The highs and lows of the game are reeled in.

It's design principle is pretty clearly to be a challenging engine building game, with area majority scoring that forces you to spread out and address many areas of the game. The action cycling reinforces this. The game is for a particular market that enjoys an optimization puzzle. Even the fighting is incentivized by getting a star, and discouraged by losing position on a scoring multiplier track. That decision to fight doesn't feel dramatic. The result isn't even that dramatic because it's usually calculable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazer de Vos
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Raw emotions is an important point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Designwise I'd say the mechanics are about 98% Euro (the other 2% being the small amount of direct conflict in the game).

To me, the direct conflict isn't even in the 2% bracket, but also firmly in the Euro game corner, because it can be exactly calculated. I can see that my opponent has for example 8 military strength. If I attack his lone mech with two of my mechs and play a 3 and a 5 card, I know that I have to put my dial to 6 to win the combat 100% of the time.

It's a Euro game that I initially mistook for an American style game due to the mechs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
badalchemy wrote:
Raw emotions is an important point.

I can see you've never had someone snake the worker spot you really needed in Agricola even though they didn't need it.

But seriously, I get what you mean about "drama," but I think the focus on drama has to be on the drama of the unknown, hence randomness.

The question for me, then, is whether something like A Game of Thrones or Diplomacy is a Euro game. Neither has randomness, but they have a lot of player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is a Euro game, of course, just look at the map!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:

I can see you've never had someone snake the worker spot you really needed in Agricola even though they didn't need it.

But seriously, I get what you mean about "drama," but I think the focus on drama has to be on the drama of the unknown, hence randomness.

The question for me, then, is whether something like A Game of Thrones or Diplomacy is a Euro game. Neither has randomness, but they have a lot of player interaction.

I'd say Game of Thrones is definitely AT - it concentrates on building narrative, tends to play long and has large amounts of backstabbing.

Diplomacy is a weird one, it's not really AT, a Euro or a wargame. It pretty much defines its own category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat's a bit tame in the game. It doesn't tend to be all out war, and more about the threat of war.

Scythe is in my top 10. The Fenris expansion takes it up to the top level for me.

I like that it plays fairly briskly, feels epic to me, like it has told a story, and the artwork is great. I love the strategy of the ending, where you have to spread your forces out. It is a bit gamey, in that you wouldn't spread at like that in real life where if there were another turn you'd lose a bunch of them. But it does make for some interesting decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Scythe is the best example of what a hybrid between AT and Euro is. With the way combat works (hidden cards, bluffing) and random encounter draws, I could never put it alongside other euros.

Whoever says you can calculate how much power you need to spend on a combat, yes - you can calculate how much power you need to guarantee a win. Is it going to be the most efficient choice after dials and cards are revealed? Most of the time it won't. I'm not saying euro games cannot have combat, look at something like Manhattan Project. You know an outcome of a combat before you start it.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the game and it's easily in my top 20. It has a lot of euro game aspects that have already been mentioned above. But in my eyes it's not a pure euro and I don't think anyone could convince me otherwise I guess everyone might have very different luck/randomness thresholds for a euro game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.