GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I thought I hated legacy games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate legacy games. This is a fact I know about myself.

But recently I've had to come to terms with the fact that I don't hate legacy games. I just hate Risk and Pandemic, etc.

My first exception to this 'fact' I know about myself was Aeon's End: Legacy. I backed their kickstarter immediately. I've backed all AE content as its my favorite game, and making a custom mage?! How cool! AND, after the campaign, its has full expansion content to be used separately or in conjunction with my previous stuff? I'm ready.

And then Betrayal Legacy comes out. With less than 20 minutes of consideration, I put the thing in my cart and ordered it. The draw of the finished game being reusable AND having unseen content to explore in a fully customized haunted house? I'm ready.

So. Maybe I don't hate legacy games. Maybe you don't either?
Maybe Pandemic just sucks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noted this exact observation about myself in the past

Charterstone made me realize the idea might not suck (though, uh, it didn't quite grab me yet...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
No thanks

Great game, but not suitable for legacy campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're half right. Pandemic and Risk do suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love scripted campaign games with player input.

Pete (does not like destroying games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I definitely hate legacy games.

I backed AE: Legacy because I like AE, but I'm regretting it. Will probably have a terrible time convincing myself to play it, and its certainly made me dislike Indie Boards and Cards.

But hey, if you like games that are designed specifically to be bad and to need to buy another copy if you want to play again, good for you...I guess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

I backed AE: Legacy because I like AE, but I'm regretting it. Will probably have a terrible time convincing myself to play it, and its certainly made me dislike Indie Boards and Cards.

But hey, if you like games that are designed specifically to be bad and to need to buy another copy if you want to play again, good for you...I guess?
to defend AE Legacy, 80% of the content is usable as an expansion after the fact, and you can buy $20 reset packs to replay the campaign.
the stuff you destroy has no use beyond the campaign anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Season 1 disappointed me.

Seafall was OK, but I had no desire to play after campaign.

Pandemic Season 2 I've been enjoying more than 1, but don't expect to want to play it after we're done.

Betrayal, I'm excited about. Expect to want to play it after campaign.

Destroying stuff is fun. (once you get over it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also, please don't think I'm defending Legacy games. I think they're gimmicky and stupid.

But I just managed to find two I will enjoy.

Risk and Pandemic suck as regular games, IMO, so legacy makes it even worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I love 'em. The nature of permanent decisions makes them feel real and important, and the effect of naming/customizing is pretty gratifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Netslummer wrote:
also, please don't think I'm defending Legacy games. I think they're gimmicky and stupid.

If I were you, I'd probably withhold my opinion of the games until you've actually played them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I enjoyed PL Season 1, really enjoyed Season 2, and Betrayal just arrived yesterday and I’m really looking forward to it. I agree permanent changes are gimmicky, don’t make decisions any more real or important to me, and are not what makes Legacy games special to me. It’s the evolving campaign, board state and narrative surprises from game to game that excite me; those don’t need permanent changes per se, but permanent changes make the component design a lot less fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:

Destroying stuff is fun. (once you get over it.)

Want to buy a bunch of old CCG cards? You can have such a blast! Shred them, burn them, fold them into origami swans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

I'm no player nor defender of legacy games, but saying that they are "designed specifically to be bad" seems a rather dubious assertion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Netslummer wrote:

If I were you, I'd probably withhold my opinion of the games until you've actually played them...
I HAVE played legacy games, which is why my opinion on them is informed and not just me being silly.

I've played both risk and pandemic and hate them both
the actual games and the legacy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Netslummer wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Netslummer wrote:

I HAVE played legacy games, which is why my opinion on them is informed and not just me being silly.

Well, if you hated the base game, it isn't a reflection on "legacy" games that you disliked the legacy versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I'm no player nor defender of legacy games, but saying that they are "designed specifically to be bad" seems a rather dubious assertion...

It is a common practice for companies to design products that they know won't sell. Surest way to make a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llyranor Ilfarath
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Why are you blaming the publisher for a decision you consciously made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Netslummer wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Netslummer wrote:

Well, if you hated the base game, it isn't a reflection on "legacy" games that you disliked the legacy versions.
those are just two examples. Other legacy games I've played I've also not enjoyed.
I just particularly hate Pandemic and Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the concept of Legacy games. I haven't yet played one that I love...Risk has done the most interesting things in my opinion, but I don't love the base games of Risk or Pandemic so I'm not surprised that I don't love their Legacy versions.

Seafall had some very cool things, but was weakened by its ruleset. I'm looking forward to Betrayal and Aeon's End.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the idea of Legacy games and I hate the throwaway nature of the product.

However, tonight I will be playing game 7 in our Charterstone game which I have been enjoying. I'm also happy knowing that at the end we'll have a game we can continue to play (and that has been designed to be played after the initial 12 games).

I think for me it truly is the throwaway natue that I hate with Legacy games. It's a shame there are so few exceptions that are designed to be played after the initial campaing has ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Netslummer wrote:
Maybe Pandemic just sucks?

Pandemic Legacy is a steaming pile of turd in my opinion. Having played Aeon's End Legacy, it's miles above Pandemic. Gameplay-wise at least.

I myself like campaign games. And you can do that without Legacy. I'm into Arkham Horror: The Card Game, Kingdom Death: Monster, Dawn of Peacemakers. Even the Fable Game system shows you can do Legacy without component destruction or component alteration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Netslummer wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

to defend AE Legacy, 80% of the content is usable as an expansion after the fact, and you can buy $20 reset packs to replay the campaign.
the stuff you destroy has no use beyond the campaign anyway.

1. You do NOT destroy stuff. You put sticker on stuff, that's different.

2. You can 100% play the game without doing the Legacy campaign. Just open everything and integrate it as a regular expansion. Doing so will add more content than the War Eternal campaign brought in terms of Nemeses and player cards. There is no reason to regret backing based on the game being Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.