GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,770 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Hand of Fate: Ordeals» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strike bonus play the cards ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaffak Landsdown
msg tools
Wben you draw your strike bonus cards , i know effort becomes damage but what if u draw food skill cards ?
Do you still get the food tokens ?
What if you draw cards that draw more csrds , are they added to the attack also ?
Do you resolve the "text" on the cards drawn ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
You resolve the cards as if they were played, so you get food tokens. As for draw, you definitely do draw, but I'm also not sure whether they go to hand or to strike bonus (I asked the very same question here - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2094423/rule-questions - not answered yet). I would lean towards hand, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffak Landsdown
msg tools
Do you gain the effort as effort if u drawn any or was the effort "spent" as damage in combat ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
That, again, depends on the resolution of "draw" context. If that's draw and bind as strike bonus, then it's instantly converted to power. If it's draw to hand, then its in your hand, which means you can play it after combat, gain effort and then use to pay for cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McIntyre
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jaffak78 wrote:
Wben you draw your strike bonus cards , i know effort becomes damage but what if u draw food skill cards ?
What if you draw cards that draw more csrds , are they added to the attack also ?

You will get food tokens from food cards.

You additionally get any abilities a card lists. So the cards "text" will activate.

Any cards drawn from card text activated from a strike bonus are drawn to your hand.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McIntyre
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jaffak78 wrote:
Do you gain the effort as effort if u drawn any or was the effort "spent" as damage in combat ?

The effort on cards bound to your weapon from a strike bonus are converted to power and cannot be spent otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do the cards go in the discard pile after the combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, to the "played area", where they get discarded from at the end of your turn, together with other cards played out of the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
Barantas wrote:
jaffak78 wrote:

You will get food tokens from food cards.

You additionally get any abilities a card lists. So the cards "text" will activate.

Any cards drawn from card text activated from a strike bonus are drawn to your hand.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Thematically I don't like this rule change. Why would you get food during combat? Why would you be doing anything else other than fighting during combat? Doesn't make sense to me.
Personally I prefer the old rule.

I think I'll keep my house Rule on this one (the old rule) which is really the designers original rule on strike bonuses anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckard31 wrote:

Thematically I don't like this rule change.

Not a rule change, as far as I know. Rulebook actually suggests it happens, just isn't super clear about it.

Deckard31 wrote:

Why would you get food during combat?

Picture it as a panicked warrior, desperately going through his pockets in search of weapons. He reaches and throws it to the ground: broadsword, big axe, a bill from laundry, spear, apple. Oh, hey, apple! Food!

I mean, it's Ascension style deckbuilding transplanted onto adventure game. Some degree of suspension of disbelief has to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
rattkin wrote:
Deckard31 wrote:

Thematically I don't like this rule change.

Not a rule change, as far as I know. Rulebook actually suggests it happens, just isn't super clear about it.

Before the release of the game and the final rulebook the strike rule was different. You did not claim food or use abilities from strike cards.
I noticed this on a video Rule and Make made prior to final production. The guy on the video clearly state that the forage card is of no use during combat and is a wasted card. Around about 13:55 in the video. https://youtu.be/LPYxSgkn7Dk

That's why I mentioned the old rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. Sure. It's not going to make a terrible difference, perhaps just a bit longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McIntyre
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Deckard31 wrote:

Before the release of the game and the final rulebook the strike rule was different. You did not claim food or use abilities from strike cards.
I noticed this on a video Rule and Make made prior to final production. The guy on the video clearly state that the forage card is of no use during combat and is a wasted card. Around about 13:55 in the video. https://youtu.be/LPYxSgkn7Dk

That's why I mentioned the old rule.

Hi, designer here,

That was a pretty old version of the rules we used in that version of the game. In the end we decided thst the utility of gaining everything from the cards was more beneficial.

It is more representative of your heroes skills, their ability to keep fighting on, or the rewards they scavenged from the battle.

We also used to have that any "draw a card" abilities drew to weapons. This balanced our the wanderer set of cards against the other two. Since we dropped thst rule, gaining the food in combat brings that cards ability back in line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.