GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Spirit Island: Jagged Earth» Forums » General

Subject: Element Combinations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmb
With 8 elements that means there are 36 potential dual element combinations for Spirits.

So far we have seen
Sun/Moon Fractured Days Split the Sky
Sun/Fire Thunderspeaker
Sun/Air Fractured Days Split the Sky
Sun/Water River Surges in Sunlight
Sun/Earth
Sun/Plant Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds
Sun/Animal
Moon/Fire Shadows Flicker Like Flame
Moon/Air Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares/Fractured Days Split the Sky/Shifting Memory of Ages
Moon/Water Ocean's Hungry Grasp
Moon/Earth
Moon/Plant Spread of Rampant Green
Moon/Animal
Fire/Air Lightning's Swift Strike/Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble
Fire/Water Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island
Fire/Earth Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island/Volcano Looming High
Fire/Plant Heart of the Wildfire
Fire/Animal Burning Plague Seeks Vengeance/Sharp Fangs Behind the Leaves
Air/Water
Air/Earth Shifting Memory of Ages
Air/Plant
Air/Animal Many Minds Move As One
Water/Earth Ocean's Hungry Grasp
Water/Plant Spread of Rampant Green
Water/Animal
Earth/Plant Vital Strength of the Earth
Earth/Animal
Plant/Animal Sharp Fangs Behind the Leaves

Some of them are a bit trickier to define like Thunderspeaker or Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island but most of them have a clear dual element combination (sometimes with a minor third element at higher levels)

I have left off Finder of Paths unseen as it equally uses Moon, Air, Water, Sun and Earth
I have left off Starlight Seeks its form as it can choose any element

Spirits we don't know about yet
-Shroud of Silent Mist (I am guessing Air/Water and Moon/Water)
-Lure of the Deep Wilderness (The image looks Sunny so I imagine it will have Sun element and probably plant or animal)
-Stone's Unyielding Defiance (Sun/Earth? Moon/Earth? Earth/Animal? Def something with Earth)
-Downpour Drowns the World (I am guessing Water/Animal and Water/Air)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
With 8 elements that means there are 36 potential dual element combinations for Spirits.
Are you sure?
I'd have said there's (8 * 7) / 2 = 28 different dual element combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmb
So appears I can't count all that well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries

After reading the designer diaries and kickstarter updates, I don't actually think the designers are trying to 'complete the matrix' when creating the spirits.
But it's interesting that there are already so many different elementary pairings present.

As it happens I also did some calculations over the weekend because I wondered how many different combinations of spirits you could play once the expansion's available:
- 24 different 1-player games
- 276 different 2-player games (24*23/2)
- 2024 different 3-player games (24*23*22/2*3)
- 10626 different 4-player games (24*...*21/2*3*4)
- 42504 different 5-player games (24*...*20/2*...*5)
- 134596 different 6-player games (24*...*19/2*...*6)
-> 190050 different spirit combinations in total!

That's 1520400 different games if you'd like to play with each spirit combination against each of the different adversaries once (including one game without using an adversary).
(Note that, I'm not counting games against several adversaries at once, here...)

And just by flipping the tiles you're looking at over 3 million different games, i.e. without counting all the different ways to set up your island (or archipelagos).

Oh, and of course there's different scenarios, as well! In other words: Without hyperbole: replayability in this game is near-infinite surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmb
That is a crazy number when you consider that any single combination if fun to play several times in a row by itself.

I think it would be interesting what minimum threshold would Spirit Island need to still be an amazing game.

For instance if there were just 2 different spirits, no adversaries, no scenarios, no tokens, no blighted island card included I'd still probably buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd need a bit more. Since Spirit Island is co-op and mostly deterministic, there have to be a few sources of variance.

Also, with just two spirits it would only support play with 1-2 players. While I'm not sure it plays all that well with 4 players (too chaotic), 3 players should be fine.

Additionally, it wouldn't make sense to have eight different elements if there were just two spirits. Four elements would likely be more than enough, then. It might even make sense to reduce the number of different terrain types by one.

So, given all that, I'd consider four spirits the bare minimum. For better replayability I'd like at least five. That's five different games with single spirits and ten different games using a pair of spirits. That's a number of (widely different) plays I'd consider getting my money's worth.

Adversaries, scenarios and blighted island cards are indeed something I'd consider optional and thus material that could have been reserved for an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.