GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Heroes of Land, Air & Sea» Forums » General

Subject: How different is the solo game compared to normal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Per the subject / title, I know that in some games, the solo version can be very different in rules or playstyle from the standard "PvP" version. I was wondering if that is the case here or if the solo game is so similar that it could be considered practice for the normal game.

Cheers

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Very different. Ai works on a different set of rules not the human ones, it’s a different game.

That does not mean it is less fun or interesting. And the decisions you have to make as a player are still the same as you do use the same rules as in any multiplayer game for your own faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Very cool, thanks.

Is the Ai difficult? Also, is it variable? For example, if a person found they were beating it regularly, are there ways to ratchet up the difficulty?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the AI is not always smart; yet it's designed to score a lot of points. Therefore, it can be hard to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Quintero
msg tools
ZUR13L wrote:
Per the subject / title, I know that in some games, the solo version can be very different in rules or playstyle from the standard "PvP" version. I was wondering if that is the case here or if the solo game is so similar that it could be considered practice for the normal game.

Cheers

meeple

There are very slight rules variation - and all the game mechanic is meant to:
1)aproximate somewhat to a human player's actions
2)Be very point rewariding so that the "dumb" plays still net points.

So the solo "game" does the maximum not to differ from the actual game.

I encourage you though, to play the game multiplayer .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haraldur Karlsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I let the Build Tower build with the furthest worker, and rebuild a tower if that means more points.

Build Vessel rebuilds for that hero if the Vessel is currently "lost" (no hero occupant), even if it is in the citadel where another hero is.

Recruit Warrior and a worker for 4 food if able, not just a warrior.

Bit more involved:

Enemy will follow your:
* build action to (re)build towers.
* Tax but only for a single type of resource, their lowest.
* Recruit for a warrior OR 1 or 2 serfs as able, these are kept separate from the heros, as gatherers.

Each time the Enemy does not move any units, pick the closest gatherer group and move them away from their capital to the area where they get the most resources for their lowest current resource. Use the compass direction to decide on where to go when in doubt, never into combat.

Set up two Enemies, and use the Nomads on the fourth continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khelz Underworld
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my side I played another solo game using two enemy AIs with a single deck. I definitely recommend this setup for solo play because it makes the game sooo fun (it's awesome to observe both enemies fight each other hehe).

- Using one deck for two AIs
- Using a die (or flip a coin) to determine AI decision in case of ties (e.g. against which enemy should it cast a spell, or which enemy to attack if distance and natural strength are the same).

My last game was really close: I played the goblins and I finished with 60 points, undead had 60 points as well but less resources so I won the game, and humans finished with 59 points!

My conclusion is that the balance in solo play is very good as well; and I had a total blast. This game is going to see my table more and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm not normally a solo player, but you guys are making it sound fun.

Do the AI rules come with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khelz Underworld
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The rules explain how to play with a single AI and the game comes with specific solo cards and solo "capital cities" on the back of each faction sheet. It's easy enough to apply the same rules for two AIs which makes solo gaming even more fun and meatier imho In that case, you just need to throw a die for some decisions the AI would take when there is a tie between attacking you, or the other AI instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.