GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,413 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: yoink! + ignore line of sight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fariss madenn
msg tools
okay, I understand line of sight rules.

Yoink! is a line of sight spell that says something to the effect of “steal a carried item from the target and give it to yourself” (i don’t have the cards in front of me)

i recently play a game of this with some people and I used one of the mentalist spells which allows me to ignore line of sight and they “suggested” that even though the spell allowed me to ignore line of sight to target them, that I still couldn’t do it because items can’t pass through walls.

in the specific situation, I was behind a wall and I also had the vision stone alchemy card which allowed me to “see through one wall for targeting purposes, but an object can not be thrown through the wall”, I combined this with the mentalist card which allowed me to target someone around a corner up to 180 degrees.

so, i essentially, looked through the wall, all the way down a hallway, then 180 degrees around the corner and hit them with yoink to take their item away.

they envisioned it such, that I was grabbing the item out of their hand and then making the item fly though the air back to me as if it had been “thrown” and as such, they considered it “thrown” as per the text on the vision stone card not allowing “thrown” items to pass througn the wall.

my counter was that yoink! is a thaumaturgy spell. I’m not exactly sure what “thaumaturgy” is exactly, but from most games I have played it seems to relate to demons and demon summoning and conjuring and stuff. (wikipedia says it is the power of a magician to work miracles) and as such, I envisioned yoink! spell effect as grabbing the item and teleporting it to myself.

I also made the point that the card text does not specifically say that you need line of sight, it only classified the spell as a line of sight spell and it seems unfair to say that effects which ignore line of sight can’t be combined with yoink, which would nerf yoink into a hardcore line of sight spell with no exceptions and no way to bypass that limitation...

we ended up using my interpretation, but I just wanted to check here and see, did I have the correct interpretation? is what I did legit, as per the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a case where one of the "out-of-print" revisions handles this better. Some card sets (specifically the Jeloba print-and-play, but possibly others as well) have a concept called "Line of Motion" or "LOM" to handle this sort of thing explicitly.

For example, Visionstone lets you see through walls, but doesn't let you throw daggers through walls. LOS vs LOM, where Dagger is marked as an LOM card.

FFG Wiz-War doesn't have that concept, so I'd rule you're correct. There is no implication that the object has to fly to you, it could just appear in your hands. You have effective LOS with Visionstone and Around the Corner, so the rules are satisfied. Anything else is speculation or flavor text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoink says:
Quote:
Take 1 carried item (not a treasure) from target wizard and immediately place it in your play area. It is now 1 of your carried items

So I'd say it is absolutely appropriate to yoink something right through the wall if you magically have LOS through the wall.

Yoink thematically sounds like the item is flying out the the target's hands to yours. I try not to bring such thematic concepts into rules discussions and stick to the text itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
smcclure415 wrote:
Yoink says:
Quote:
Take 1 carried item (not a treasure) from target wizard and immediately place it in your play area. It is now 1 of your carried items

So I'd say it is absolutely appropriate to yoink something right through the wall if you magically have LOS through the wall.

Yoink thematically sounds like the item is flying out the the target's hands to yours. I try not to bring such thematic concepts into rules discussions and stick to the text itself.

I think in the moment if I would have come across this in game, unprepared, I would have ruled it this way. There are a few different things that can make items passable through doors, especially if they are on your person.

But the wording heavily implies that the item is teleporting to you. It is a Line of Sight spell in order to keep it from being too powerful. At least, I'd argue that over thematic reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the olden days, pre-internet as we know it today, we would have assigned
positions on the issue" equally and rolled a die. Someone would have written a letter to the publisher (or a magazine, depending on the game) and we would have played along, patiently awaiting an answer. Sometime it would happen the we would prefer our answer and ignored the official answer.

What naive, but entertained, fools were we!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
smcclure415 wrote:
Yoink says:
Quote:

I think in the moment if I would have come across this in game, unprepared, I would have ruled it this way. There are a few different things that can make items passable through doors, especially if they are on your person.

But the wording heavily implies that the item is teleporting to you. It is a Line of Sight spell in order to keep it from being too powerful. At least, I'd argue that over thematic reasons.

I think something was lost in my response. I should have been clearer. I also believe the card text describes the item immediately becoming part of your inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.