GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,332 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Blackout: Hong Kong» Forums » Rules

Subject: Refill of card display and clean up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I read the phases 5 and 6 (new objetives and clean up) for the first time, I realized the obvious and common boardgame mechanics "the oldest card is the first one to leave the game".
But now, reading it more attentively it seens that, in phase 5, we have to refill rows without cards from left to right and, in phase 6, remove the rightmost card of each row. So, in many cases, the newest card will be the one discarded. Is that right? Is that the intent of Pfister?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not really the "newest" card that gets discarded. Once a row is empty it is immediately refilled with 3 cards - either in phase 5 or 6. All three cards come out at the same time, so none of those 3 cards is more new than the other. Whichever of those is the rightmost card after the market phase (i. e. during clean-up) will be discarded.

The mechanism is certainly different than the typical "slide the cards to the left and add cards on the right". Thus, the position of a card in a row does not matter for its price. Only how many other cards in that row are still available determines the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
It is not really the "newest" card that gets discarded. Once a row is empty it is immediately refilled with 3 cards - either in phase 5 or 6. All three cards come out at the same time, so none of those 3 cards is more new than the other. Whichever of those is the rightmost card after the market phase (i. e. during clean-up) will be discarded.

The mechanism is certainly different than the typical "slide the cards to the left and add cards on the right". Thus, the position of a card in a row does not matter for its price. Only how many other cards in that row are still available determines the cost.

Yeah, I understood. But I saw another thing: in Mombasa, for example, a card will be in display at least from the very start of a round until its end or purchased, at worst (normally it will be there for 2 or even 3 rounds).
In Blackout, a card can enter in the game, in phase 5, without the real possibility to be bought (because will be expensive - 3+1 - and/or all players have no objetive slots available). So in phase 6 it goes away very fast... It mechanics is strange to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You are correct; that is possible.

I don't know about Mombasa but here the cards also serve as a "timer" as the game ends when the draw pile runs out (plus one full round). Since there are always 3 cards removed each round the game ends after a maximum number of rounds or earlier, depending on the purchase frequency of the players.

It could maybe have been solved differently but what is nice about this mechanic is the easier upkeep. Row empty, fill it with 3 cards, remove the rightmost in phase 6. No sliding cards around or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.