GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Pointe-du-Hoc - Germans seem destined to lose rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Emmitt
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played this scenario 3 times solo.

Each time the Allies completely crushed the Germans.

As the Germans, I tried turtling one game, moving to the cliff and back another game, and, during the first game, even accidentally moved the artillery and forgot to give the Germans a -1 modifier when firing at Allies in the cliff hexes.

All 3 games the Germans lost, and it was not even close.

The Allies have a largeadvantage of men and cards (6).

How can the Germans possibly win in this scenario?

(Not that I wish the Germans had won; this is just the first truly "lopsided" scenario I've encountered so far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve had the same experience. However; after each play through the Germans kept losing by less. Almost all the Mem 44 scenarios favor one side over another...I think the key here, is that after successive plays, does the “losing” side do better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Emmitt
msg tools
mbmbmb
No, they lost by more and more. The third game was 4-0 in favor of the Allies.

Maybe it was just bad cards... or desperate risk taking. Anyway, it was a slaughter.

At one point the Allies played a Barrage card against the artillery. They rolled a grenade and a flag (and 2 other things). That eliminates both of the arty units, right, since the arty can't retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stats indicate that Germans win 1 out of 3 times. I know I've played this scenario many times but don't recall the exact strategy. I think moving Germans out of bunkers to cliff and aggressively attacking Allies while they are on the beach is the strategy, provided you have the cards and some luck.

Each scenario is meant to be played twice, swapping sides and adding the scores, but that is kind of meaningless when playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max More
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
tripecac wrote:
At one point the Allies played a Barrage card against the artillery. They rolled a grenade and a flag (and 2 other things). That eliminates both of the arty units, right, since the arty can't retreat?

Units in a bunker ignore one flag. Edit: yeah barrage trumps that (thats what I get for not reading properly). You were correct.

As to the strategy I try to draw the allies closer to the artilery so that I can use it to my advantage. This means abandoning one side of the map and retreat to where the artillery is. If you don't the allies get 2 easy medals. Store your wounded troops away from everything. You have to make the allied player wanting to get to you. In the meantime clean your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

A tough one for Axis if players have the same experience level.

Depending on your cards, you could move your troops in middle and left section to get cover from your artillery.

Also, if allies have nothing to shoot at, they can't get medals ;-)

At the start, german troops are too stretched out and 4 medals is pretty fast to gain.

Here are some replays if you want to look at them, one 3-4 loss and a 4-2 win for the germans :

https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/fr/battle/?id=2...

https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/fr/battle/?id=2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Airfix
United States
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is frustrating for the Germans. The only times I've been able to win have been when I'm quickly able to eliminate two allied units in the first couple turns. This strong start seems to be key (unless you want a 44 turn game as noted in one of the noted replays).

After eliminated two units, the Germans can then consolidate and go on the offensive. They can focus their firepower on one specific unit at a time.

I also like the idea of drawing the center units over to the left flank so they can be protected by the artillery. I'll need to try that when I a have strong left flank cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why they recommend playing both sides of a scenario and the winner has the most points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Haug
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Definitely a tough scenario for the Axis forces. When I recorded my play in BGG, I actually made note that "both of us found the Germans to be impossible to win with"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Emmitt
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have read that the air pack rules for Pointe Du Hoc even things out a bit. Do you know where I can find those rules? Are they only in the Air Pack itself, or the paid PDF? Or is there another resource which shows the air pack specific rules for each official scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tripecac wrote:
I have read that the air pack rules for Pointe Du Hoc even things out a bit.

Air force helps Germans during D-day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tripecac wrote:
I have read that the air pack rules for Pointe Du Hoc even things out a bit. Do you know where I can find those rules? Are they only in the Air Pack itself, or the paid PDF? Or is there another resource which shows the air pack specific rules for each official scenario?

The only difference is the Germans optionally get two Air Sortie cards at the start of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Emmitt
msg tools
mbmbmb
I found the Air Pack's revised rules for Pointe du Hoc. (They're in the Air Pack PDF).

I don't, however, have any "Air Sortie" cards.

I've read that there might be some in the Overlord expansion (which I have not opened yet). However, I also read that the overlord command cards have different backs. Is that really the case?

If Overlord is not a source of Air Sortie cards, where else might I find them? I haven't seen and Memoir '44 command decks for sale in ages.

Is my only choice to proxy the Air Sortie cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not use the overlord expansion cards if you have them. Just sleeve your cards and then the backs don't matter. If you can't buy replacement card decks then you're out of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
tripecac wrote:

The only difference is the Germans optionally get two Air Sortie cards at the start of the scenario.

That's the reference to two german planes that were in the air at that day. Allied player should get 11k cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes some getting used to: the scenarios are not fully balanced, but rather skewed to demonstrate the challenges that each side faced in the historical battle. Dice and card draws may sometimes even the odds, but then again, they might skew the odds even more.

To win in a scenario where the odds are stacked against you, you need to develop a number of skills. This includes:
- hand management skills (e.g., try to save the most flexible cards, like Direct from HQ, for when you run out of the section cards you need);
- laying out a strategy (before the game begins, ask yourself where you can find the medals you need, and keep this plan in mind as the game develops); and
- internalizing many tactical rules of thumb (e.g., units with multiple targets should always fire first, in case the enemy retreats; armor is very effective when firing out of forests but not towns; special forces should be used aggressively, etc).

When you play M44 solo, however, you can't really plan properly, because you're running both sides; you cannot bluff or fool or outsmart yourself. By necessity, you play reactively, and thus, the strategic dimension of the game is largely ignored.

This is why playing solo M44, fun though it may be, can't quite replicate the experience of playing with an opponent.

Welcome to this wonderful, wonderful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
When you play M44 solo, however, you can't really plan properly, because you're running both sides; you cannot bluff or fool or outsmart yourself. By necessity, you play reactively, and thus, the strategic dimension of the game is largely ignored.

This is why playing solo M44, fun though it may be, can't quite replicate the experience of playing with an opponent.

There are several methods of playing solo where you can plan, as the opponent is run using an ai kind of system.
My opponent Deck method (yet to be published)
Stuka Joes cards and dice method.
And various lay out the cards and roll a dice methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are several methods of playing solo where you can plan, as the opponent is run using an ai kind of system.
My opponent Deck method (yet to be published)
Stuka Joes cards and dice method.
And various lay out the cards and roll a dice methods.

Cool, thanks for alerting me to these. I'll have to try them sometime. Still, I don't think I'm ready to replace all my friends with an AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.