GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,872 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Scoffton» Forums » General

Subject: Art Insight #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Finlay
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hello everyone, it’s Jonathan here. You may know me as the Art Director for Scoffton. It has been a joy to help collaborate with Marcus, to bring you the game as you see it on your screens today. I guarantee it will look even better when you hold it in your hot little hands in a few months time.

In the meantime I wanted to share with you some of the stories that went into the art.

If you’re a regular on Kickstarter you’ll notice that Scoffton’s art is a bit odd. It’s not flashy. It’s not super high definition blow-your-mind-how-did-they-do-this art. It’s filled with more of a simple charm. One of the reasons we chose this style from the outset was because we wanted Scoffton to feel a little grubby, nostalgic and most importantly comical. 

All the decisions we’ve made in making the art for Scoffton have been based on making it as fun and as easy to understand as possible. This was our philosophy. 

I think a great example of this is the Bellyboard:

If you look closely at the bench seat you can see how unkempt this establishment is.
Over the years, it’s lost a button and gained a few scars. There’s some spare chewing gum on it, ready to stimulate your salivary glands in case all that bread has dried you out. Management has made a feeble attempt at taping one cut back together with some electrical tape. It’s not seen much love over time, but it still feels comfortable enough for 2 diners.
Sure, it’s a little faded and some serious scrubbing with dubious cleaning products has left some weird marks, however the table is looking in much better shape. Just don’t look too closely at the cutlery. True to Scoffton’s crummy reputation it has everything you’d expect at a dodgy all-you-can-eat buffet from 1985; sauce stained menu, nice clean ashtray in which a cockroach casually sunbathes. At least it’s a pretty sizeable table, with room for 4 dishes.
I’d also like to point out the saucer. Because coffee acts differently to other foods in the rules, it needed its own space on the board. Originally, the board had a seperate space for coffee which wasn’t on the table. Marcus and I knew it needed a place that made sense thematically so we found a perfect home for it in on a saucer in the centre of the table.

Finally we get to my favourite part of the Bellyboard, the belly itself.

Marcus, when he’s not making boardgames is a full time science teacher so it was important to him for the stomach to be anatomically correct! As you can see it clearly is, with its multiple compartments and seperate dessert belly. (He swears dessert bellies have been scientifically proven)

You may have heard a few old wives’ tales of strange things ending up in peoples’ stomachs. If you look carefully you might find a few!

Notice the butterfly? Ever had butterflies in your stomach? I can’t help but giggle when I see that. 

We also decided to include a coin as a throw back to the old Christmas pudding. There is an old English tradition of putting coins in the Christmas pud to bring luck and wealth to the kids that found them. Often the lucky recipient only found their coin a day or so later, as is the case here!

There are numerous 80’s references Marcus has littered throughout the art of Scoffton. One of these appears in the dessert belly. Marcus is often asked by younger players why there is a foot in the belly. Well, those of you old enough to remember may recall a local Milk Bar freezer classic that looked remarkably similar.

Last but not least, you can’t say you’ve eaten your fill at an all-you-can-eat buffet if you haven’t undone the top button of your trousers. Looks like this diner has scoffed well!

I hope you enjoyed all of these details as much as we’ve enjoyed slotting them in there. Stay tuned for more Art Insights. And in the meantime feel free to ask us anything else you’ve noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.