GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,704 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is cold shed ok to "store" games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently thinking of moving the games I want to sell out to my shed so I have more room to inventory and such. It's pretty much winter here in Ohio so humidity isn't much of a worry at this point but cold is.

Is cold as big a concern as humidity or should I be alright for the most part? I get that nothing is 100% but right now I don't have the garage or house space to set up 200+ games to try and sell.

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be more concerned about insects and rodents than the cold.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
I would be more concerned about insects and rodents than the cold.


True. Biggest issue probably would be spiders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
I would be more concerned about insects and rodents than the cold.


True. Biggest issue probably would be spiders.


Shifts in humidity and condensation could be a problem, unless your climate stays pretty steady.

If tupperwared and taped seals, you should be able to keep out many of the unwelcomed.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McMurray
United States
Rudolph
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept most of mine in a storage unit that was not climate controlled during a winter, and that was Ohio (down by Mansfield). Small sample size and all, but I had no problems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
If you're selling 'em who cares, let the next owners deal with the problems.

#canneverbetooselfish

(This is not serious).

I would imagine most games would be ok for short times out in the 30 degree weather. Sell them quick and it won't matter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In plastic totes would be best.
In well-taped cartons secondbest.
Seal each game in clean dry plastic.

Humidity, dust, sunlight, odor, and bugs are the worries.

The amount of protection needed depends on the shed.

If its ancient and drafty with a dirt floor, you need to seal those games up.

New, clean, tight shed, few worries.

Only extreme cold would ever be a worry. Much colder than you'll see in OH any time soon.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paging Tony Boydell!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't do it. I had mice in my shed and they will chew through anything; totes, bags, cloth, etc... they see anything they can chew as nesting material. Just not worth the risk.

I had a scroll saw out there and they gutted the wiring, nothing left but nubs coming out of the motor and switches. angry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
I wouldn't do it. I had mice in my shed and they will chew through anything; totes, bags, cloth, etc... they see anything they can chew as nesting material. Just not worth the risk.

I had a scroll saw out there and they gutted the wiring, nothing left but nubs coming out of the motor and switches. angry


Don't have to worry about mice. The stray cats and coyotes get them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you've found a place in Ohio where it never rains or snows, humidity will be a problem.

There's a reason we choose to sleep in well sealed and climate controlled areas.

My basement is a damp, mold magnet. The attic is bone dry. But both are subject to visits by birds and/or rodents.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the winter humidity isn't too bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Paging Tony Boydell!


Wrap them up warm and make sure you sing them a Carol or two at Xmas.

Or, perhaps, take THIS as a cautionary warning:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/70953/one-magic-chris...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
I wouldn't do it. I had mice in my shed and they will chew through anything; totes, bags, cloth, etc... they see anything they can chew as nesting material. Just not worth the risk.

I had a scroll saw out there and they gutted the wiring, nothing left but nubs coming out of the motor and switches. angry


Don't have to worry about mice. The stray cats and coyotes get them.


The mice may take sanctuary from the cats and coyotes in your shed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Extreme temperature and humidity shifts are not good for things made out of paper. I wouldn't store my games in something that wasn't climate controlled, but that's just me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I'm currently thinking of moving the games I want to sell out to my shed so I have more room to inventory and such. It's pretty much winter here in Ohio so humidity isn't much of a worry at this point but cold is.

Is cold as big a concern as humidity or should I be alright for the most part? I get that nothing is 100% but right now I don't have the garage or house space to set up 200+ games to try and sell.

Thanks.


Is shed rock-solid, or will trees, snow pack, or wind take it out? Don't forget to organize the games so you can easily find the one you just sold. I ended up using B1, B2, etc. for shelf numbers and added these to my BGG marketplace listings. Helps family members grab a game, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opionion storing games in a shed is a very bad idea. The influx of humidity will likely cause damage.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I stored all of my games in an unheated garage in Maryland for a year with no damage. I forgot 3 of them and they were there for 2 years no damage.

I have friends whobstore their games in a car all the time with no damage.

Games some to us on cargo ships with no heat or AC. They are stored in warehouses in distributors that aren't heated or cooled.

So storing them in the cold in and of itself wont damage them. However the longer you do the more chance something could happen like a water leak, rodent damage or extreme changes in humidity.

If you go this route I would store them in sealed plastic containers,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
Games some to us on cargo ships with no heat or AC. They are stored in warehouses in distributors that aren't heated or cooled.

So storing them in the cold in and of itself wont damage them. However the longer you do the more chance something could happen like a water leak, rodent damage or extreme changes in humidity.

If you go this route I would store them in sealed plastic containers,

Agreed. Transport through various weather is part of the reason games are often shrink wrapped.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for responding.

Unfortunately despite that fact that it's actually more of a garage than a shed, the humidity is much higher than I expected so I don't think it's going to work. Must need insulation or something.

Thanks everyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Store them in plastic tubs and you will be fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big plastic sacks well sealed will work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would store them in plastic, but the point was to have them out and available in hopes of selling them. Packing them away is no better and maybe even less convienent than my current situation.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.