GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,441 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: relief force and relieving army leader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick search did not find this situation.

Bordeaux is besieged by the hapsburgs with 2 french regulars inside. Relief force marches in with Montmorency and 2 more regulars. French take 3 hits and lose. Only units that started within can retreat back inside the city and if the relief force is eliminated the leader is captured.

As France lost the battle the third bullet point under 15.2 applies. Either that means he just puts one CU back in Bordeaux and Montmorency retreats, or by doing so the relief force has been eliminated and Montmorency is captured, or France elects to take hits on the garrison first which means Montmorency retreats with the remaining CU and Bordeaux is undefended. This all hinges on whether or not the 'relief force' (original 2 CU Montmorency brought with him) has been eliminated.

Am I correct in thinking that only the 2 regulars he brought with him is the relief force?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Quick search did not find this situation.

Bordeaux is besieged by the hapsburgs with 2 french regulars inside. Relief force marches in with Montmorency and 2 more regulars. French take 3 hits and lose. Only units that started within can retreat back inside the city and if the relief force is eliminated the leader is captured.

As France lost the battle the third bullet point under 15.2 applies. Either that means he just puts one CU back in Bordeaux and Montmorency retreats, or by doing so the relief force has been eliminated and Montmorency is captured, or France elects to take hits on the garrison first which means Montmorency retreats with the remaining CU and Bordeaux is undefended. This all hinges on whether or not the 'relief force' (original 2 CU Montmorency brought with him) has been eliminated.

Am I correct in thinking that only the 2 regulars he brought with him is the relief force?

What else would be the relief force? Not trying to be glib, I just can't figure out what alternative to your final sentence could have been reasonably brought forward.
EDIT: The units inside the fortification relieving themselves would have nothing to do with fighting in my mind whistlelaugh

The start of section 15.2 makes it pretty clear that the units moving into the fortified space are the relief force:
Quote:
A formation friendly to the units in the fortification may enter a fortified space under siege and initiate a field battle in an attempt to break the siege. In this “relief force” situation, units and army leaders inside the fortification that are controlled by the same major power as the relief force may participate in the field battle.
I've bolded the part that makes makes it clear that the units inside the fortification are not part of the relief force.

So either you have a captured leader and 1 CU inside the fortification or no units inside the fortification and Montmorency retreats with 1 CU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my thought as well but as the garrison joins the relief force the counter argument is that one unit of the whole force survived....I just want an outside confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
That's my thought as well but as the garrison joins the relief force the counter argument is that one unit of the whole force survived....I just want an outside confirmation.
I can't find anything in the rules that says the garrison joins the relief force, only that they may also participate in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Totally randomly Braxton...
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:

Niko is correct. The 2 regulars are the relief force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.