GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,896 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: the bosses never suffer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon hq2 locations predicted over a year ago by an analystlooking at where beso's other houses were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, they were projected to lose 5501 employees, but they managed to save one job by hiring a guy to carry their bags of money to their cars.

That kind of leadership is well worth millions of dollars in bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey they did their jobs right - they were meant to drive Sears into the ground while extracting the maximum gains from it, and that's what they achieved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
reminds me of when the "evil unions killed wonderbread" made headlines while the execs quietly looted the company while demanding the employees work for literally 1/4 pay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david stairs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

That shit's typical.. Company needs to 'cut back on losses', close stores and fire hundreds of low level workers. NEVER ANY Bosses.. When in many cases, firing say 4 bosses, EQUATES wage savings wise, to 100 or so regular workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course they suffer. They only got 19 million.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

That shit's typical.. Company needs to 'cut back on losses', close stores and fire hundreds of low level workers. NEVER ANY Bosses.. When in many cases, firing say 4 bosses, EQUATES wage savings wise, to 100 or so regular workers.

A 19 million bonus is 190 employees for 1 yr assuming a lay+benefits cost of 100k per employee. Knock it down to 50k and it is 380, throw in part times and easily 1/10 of the layoffs.

Edit:This isn't to disagree with your sentiment, just to provide a sense of scale. We working class really can't math the volume of money involved among the aristocracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey c'mon now, that $19M is their just commission on hundreds of million in expenses cut.

Nuking the company does realize the max possible expense reduction whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
reminds me of when the "evil unions killed wonderbread" made headlines while the execs quietly looted the company while demanding the employees work for literally 1/4 pay

Or hostess for that matter.

We've finally hit the stage (probably actually been there for a while) where capital is the actual enemy of our industry (commercial and manufacturing both)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Or hostess for that matter.

We've finally hit the stage (probably actually been there for a while) where capital is the actual enemy of our industry (commercial and manufacturing both)

Wonderbread and hostess are brands. Interstate Bakeries was the corporate shell in question, filed a bankruptcy in '04, collapsed in '12. Same facilities and brands now operated by new corporate overlords who snapped it all up cheap.

Capital already is the enemy of everything. Capial sees capital itself as the one and only end. All else is disposable means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! On the brands;

As to capital, we say that, but there are 2 approaches;

the long-term approach is how it's supposed to work, where the capital is invested for greater total value over time.

What's becoming increasingly popular is the short-term approach where instead of growing value you just strip value out of your purchase.

As we shift more and more to the latter, this is gonna keep happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the same front, locally we just lost our long time chain of grocery stores called Shop-n-Save, owned by Supervalu. Supervalu makes, distributes, and retails groceries nationwide. They got bought up by vultures, who took it apart and closed all the retail stores, which is where a major expense is in the system. Of course, with no stores to retail your product in, do you still need distribution?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperValu_(United_States)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Oops! On the brands;

the long-term approach is how it's supposed to work, where the capital is invested for greater total value over time.

What's becoming increasingly popular is the short-term approach where instead of growing value you just strip value out of your purchase.

Ever play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it about projected/expected gains?

We had a Target very close to our house that closed--not because it lost money--but because it didn't make enough profit to satisfy the company. It was very profitable, but their projected gains were not met/it wasn't enormously profitable, so they closed it.

We lost our neighborhood Target and most of the employees lost their jobs or chose to commute 15-20 miles to keep their jobs at other Targets.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Oops! On the brands;

As you said we hit the stage ... the stage where all is focused on the short-term. Deals to be closed ASAP. Flip, flip, flip. Get in, get out. Don't keep that money tied up.

And we have been in this stage since the 1980s ... since deregulation of various sorts and massive tax cuts started.

Ownership used to provide influence and political power, now money itself does. Why bother with the hassles of ownership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the guy met the goals set by the board to minimize the employees laid off and stores that closed. It's possible those numbers could have been much worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Maybe the guy met the goals set by the board to minimize the employees laid off and stores that closed. It's possible those numbers could have been much worse.

A little more detail here:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/business/sears-executive-bonu...

The owners have to bribe executives to continue to man the sinking ship while they pare and restructure the best performing bits for sale to new owners.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-sears-bankrup...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david stairs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
garhkal wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

A 19 million bonus is 190 employees for 1 yr assuming a lay+benefits cost of 100k per employee. Knock it down to 50k and it is 380, throw in part times and easily 1/10 of the layoffs.

Edit:This isn't to disagree with your sentiment, just to provide a sense of scale. We working class really can't math the volume of money involved among the aristocracy.

YOu made my point for me.. Laying off just one boss, should have saved the company enough to save a LOT of workers.. rather than Firing a lot of workers, and giving a big bonus to the boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this not the whole point of capitalism? If you got the capital (Financial and influencial in this case) then you benefit. This is the incentive for people to climb the corporate ladder after all.

Based on history, the focus on the bottom tier doesn't seem to work too well except on small scales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotana wrote:
Is this not the whole point of capitalism? If you got the capital (Financial and influencial in this case) then you benefit. This is the incentive for people to climb the corporate ladder after all.

Based on history, the focus on the bottom tier doesn't seem to work too well except on small scales.

I don't understand your second point about small scale. Though I suspect I wouldn't like it if I did understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I don't understand your second point about small scale.

My appologies. I meant communism. It works well up to a village in size. Beyond that it stops being communism and turns into something else to stay solvent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
garhkal wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
garhkal wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

YOu made my point for me.. Laying off just one boss, should have saved the company enough to save a LOT of workers.. rather than Firing a lot of workers, and giving a big bonus to the boss.

In this case the stores are going to close whether they ditch someone in management or not. One thing they should be doing with some of that bonus money though is shoring up severance packages that are getting shorted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotana wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

I don't understand your second point about small scale.

My appologies. I meant communism. It works well up to a village in size. Beyond that it stops being communism and turns into something else to stay solvent.

OK. I do actually think there is LOTS of room for something between "it's good to be rich and fuck the rest of you" and a dictatorship of the proletariat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

OK. I do actually think there is LOTS of room for something between "it's good to be rich and fuck the rest of you" and a dictatorship of the proletariat.

Yup. As I said, alternative financial systems don't work on large scales too well.

For good or ill under capitalist systems (In general. There are exceptions: Non-profits, government, religion, etc.) companies exist to make the owners money. In publically traded companies these are the shareholders. They have the ultimate say where the money goes. And why should they give a shit about the workers if liquidating the company will give them more money short term to be re-invested elsewhere? Chances are, those bosses were shareholders.

Workers don't like it, so unions flourished in some industries. In theory unions are great on paper: they give workers power. In practice unions either push too much (Company profits fall, thus shareholders pull out, thus share price drops, thus workers get canned, threfore unions get unhappy) or they get corrupted and become in league with the bosses.

Well, the only thing that I can see left is regulation: Get government to step in. Out comes a can of worms. All of the sudden this evil government policies are screwing with the free market! Some relocate to other countries without oversights. Others make the investment with greatest return of all: Politicians. Have a search how much Google is spending on political donations. I suppose this is why Republicans are so popular with rich people: They must be much more receptive to their needs.

Now when corporations are really influencial in the government, we have Corporatism. From there it is pretty much Fascism. I have really hard time finding the line between the two. They really sound like one and the same. So we reach the other extreme.

So what is my point? That this issue is bloody hard and there are no simple solutions!. Corporations exist to make owners rich. In Sears'es case it looks like owners were favouring the bosses over the workers. This will not change. Build your capital and invest (How about becoming a shareholder?) to exit the rat race. You can't? Then it sucks to be you. Just watch TV and keep working for those that are more competent in this system. Arbeit macht frei.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.