GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,574 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How would you guys play this position? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Blow
msg tools

I am blue here.

Khan is real strong here, he was playing Caesar and had just hit a player twice on a prior turn with aggression. Right now he is using Heavy Calvary with 3 swordsmen.

In this tricky position, Age 1 is about to end. Which means I need to be thinking about killing off Alexander and taking his yellow. The other problem is that I seeded pestilence, which should hit within 3 event cards.

Here I could kill off Alex, Pay 3CA for Fred, promote, use his ability to make a warrior, and use my tactic to go to 7 and put a yellow on Irrigation. This could also solve my pestilence issue by perhaps allowing me to sac a warrior and then rebuild him using Fred.

Or I could play an event and trigger an Ancient event and hope it is a food event and just miss out on Alex's yellow and play other moves, maybe wait on Fred for 1CA on the next turn. Put two yellows on Irrg. Not that I want to seed Reign of terror however. Not a lot of cards in the first row that are useful to my position, other than Leo. The other problem with this idea is I am going to need to put a pop into happiness and I won't be able to increase my military strength for awhile.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Outcome: I hold my nose and kill Alex, pay 3CA for Fred, create a warrior, hit the tactic, and put a yellow on Irrg.

Bonus question: when building Pyramids, is it better to wait until they are built before building a lab?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
Selby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawdown wrote:
I seeded pestilence, which should hit within 3 event cards.

You do know the event deck gets shuffled, right? It could be anywhere from the second to seventh event down the line, given there's still an age A event left. Pestilence within 3 is possible, but far from likely.

Drawdown wrote:
Bonus question: when building Pyramids, is it better to wait until they are built before building a lab?

It depends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
Thisisnotasmile wrote:
You do know the event deck gets shuffled, right? It could be anywhere from the second to seventh event down the line, given there's still an age A event left. Pestilence within 3 is possible, but far from likely.

I thought this was the rule (that they get shuffled). But on the app, it shows you when an event you prepared is about to come up next. So I suppose the app deviates from the tabletop rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It only shows you yours if you can work it out based on process of elimination. Most often, this is when your card is the only card in the event deck from a different age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander must be sacced here. There may be a scenario where the yellow token is not worth missing the politcal event, or the 1 CA that you could benefit from him if you replace the leader instead. But that does not apply here. You are about to lose two yellows. Alexander makes sure that you don't need to upgrade happiness to still get one more military unit.

Leo would be nice with that Alchemy, but you need that extra military. That has to be the priority, and Barbarossa will also help with the Pestilence like you said.

I'd play the turn exactly as suggested:

PA: Sac Alexander

4CA Take and play Barbarossa
2MA Make Warriors and play Phalanx
1CA Upgrade a worker to Irrigation

Note that 7 strength with 2 MAs means Khan can aggress you with 100% success chance and they know it. You just have to hope they've got no more aggressions left or that they can pick another target with 100% success rate (if Joan doesn't have at least 4 MAs, they'll be one, and also if Columbus has just 2 MAs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawdown wrote:

If I have Engineering Genius and events (or just multiple events) giving me enough rocks to finish Pyramids in one go, I'll do that. If it takes two turns to finish Pyramids, it's not worth postponing the lab:

I recommend
R3: Build Philosophy (+1 sci)
R4: Start Pyramids (+1 sci)
R5: Complete Pyramids (+1 sci, +1 CA)
Total: +3 sci, +1 CA

I don't recommend
R3: Start Pyramids (+0)
R4: Complete Pyramids (+1 CA)
R5: Build Philosophy (+1 sci, +1 CA)
Total: +1 sci, +2 CA

If enough rocks to finish wonder at once
R3: Complete Pyramids (+1 CA)
R4: Build Philosophy (+1 sci, +1 CA)
R5: Whatever (+1 sci, +1 CA)
Total: +2 sci, +3 CA

The third option is better than the first, which is better than the second. As a comparison you always want to pick age I Breakthrough (+2 sci) with one CA, and sometimes pick it even for two CAs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
One thing I have noticed in my games here lately is that when I build an early lab with pyramids, I tend to have problems with low food production and have difficulty getting out a pop for happiness or military units towards the end of Age 1. Perhaps I am rushing the completion of Pyramids and missing out on taking yellow resource cards or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawdown wrote:
One thing I have noticed in my games here lately is that when I build an early lab with pyramids, I tend to have problems with low food production and have difficulty getting out a pop for happiness or military units towards the end of Age 1. Perhaps I am rushing the completion of Pyramids and missing out on taking yellow resource cards or something.

Taking Reserves or Frugagality should not be an automatical move. They are fine cards but by no means anything amazing. You can get an extra food by postponing the second population increase though, but this usually comes at the price of missing potentially a free temple or warrior.

So let's say on round 3 you made a Philosophy and have 2 food (assuming you already increased population once). You could increase population, but would be left at 0 food and also at 1 consumption. I usually skip the pop increase for now, and will end the round at 4 food. Then the next turn I can increase population, will be left with two food, but also will produce the third food to enable yet another population increase for the following round. Of course age A events can and usually will change this.

Other than that, I've noticed people don't respect Irrigation much in 3p and 4p games. Even in 4p where it's often more efficient to pick one of the three Selective Breedings, I tend to pick Irrigation just to make sure I won't have issues getting more population. I can do this because I usually get it with 1 CA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.