GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,269 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone else feel a bit limited in freedom of choice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drace Zhan
msg tools
I do think it's neat that now encounters are actually quite impactful and arguably the "actions" you are looking at and thematically so! "I need allies so I'm going to look for some in the Train Station". However, there's a bit of an issue in the way the token pulls work and how important it is to clear doom and monsters every turn. So often the turns go more like "Move to X (action 1). Kill Monster Y/Clear Doom (action 2). Draw the card of the spot you landed on because you ended there from doing your action 1/2 ..." By carefully clearing every turn, you make small incremental advantages to eventually win the game. It feels very slow and grindy and ultimately makes me feel like I'm missing something (I've already cleared and played multiples Scenario Azathoth, the campaign with the ghouls, and Cthulhu). I often found my strategy has not really significantly changed despite each older one.

I want to like this game as I feel they did a lot of things really well (and the ally deck feels neat with it's diversity of cast even though ... in Lovecraft, everyone would've been Caucasian male but this is Arkham Files not pure Lovecraft) but I was wondering if anyone had any insights or house rules that made the game feel a bit "fresher". I was thinking of removing the "No double action rule" for combat so at least you can have roles for one dedicated combat char and one dedicated cluer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kissblade wrote:
So often the turns go more like "Move to X (action 1). Kill Monster Y/Clear Doom (action 2). Draw the card of the spot you landed on because you ended there from doing your action 1/2 ..." By carefully clearing every turn, you make small incremental advantages to eventually win the game. It feels very slow and grindy and ultimately makes me feel like I'm missing something

I, unfortunately, fully agree with this analysis. It's the primary reason why this game isn't going to take Eldritch Horror off my shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree. My go to Old-Ones-Begone strategy is simply to ward doom in the most critical neighbourhood that also has a clue. It happens that you have to deviate from this for a turn to deal with something unforseen, but 90% of the time it's move to where there's 2+ doom and ward.

I still like many of the clever storytelling mechanics of the game so I'm not getting rid of it just yet, but if the expansion turns out to be just more of the same it'll probably go on the sell pile. Unless the kid really likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogdiz wrote:
... but if the expansion turns out to be just more of the same it'll probably go on the sell pile. Unless the kid really likes it.

I'd wait till the second expansion. After all, look at Eldritch - the first expansion was just more of the same, but by design. The first EH expansion existed to expand out the base game content, add variety to the various decks and put a tweak or two into the play options.

After this, however, they started to put in more mechanical additions, and cool little twists. Admittedly, Eldritch never really had a really game changing expansion, but the initial expansion wasn't a clear indication of what was to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
i agree, i wonder if its easier with more players, I don't have time to go buy stuff at stores or gain allies, i'm constantly clearing doom, trying to kill monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alueb82681 wrote:
i agree, i wonder if its easier with more players, I don't have time to go buy stuff at stores or gain allies, i'm constantly clearing doom, trying to kill monsters.

I hope that's not the case, since I thought playing with two was too easy. Half way in you're so powerful thanks to the many items you get. Haven't lost yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody O'Bryant
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
I honestly think it just depends on your board state and what chances you’re willing to take. We’ve played 3 for all games and each turn someone was definitely able to do what they wanted regardless of board state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hunter
msg tools
I disagree a bit. Playing solo with one character I’ve been able to do other things than attack/ward about 50% of the time with my turns. I nibble away at the doom tokens, evade or attack certain monsters but I also pick out specific neighborhoods for certain possible encounter effects/rewards.

The evade action is important and is nothing to sneeze at. If you succeed in evading the monster/monsters engaged with you then you get another free action- thus, giving you three action total for the turn. It has its risks as some monsters are hard to avoid.

So, observation is a key skill just like strength and lore are. In fact, will is vital to repeal and fend off a lot of negative effects. So, i’d say that strength and lore aren’t the most important skills in the game.

You also have to know when to cut your losses when the board game gets out of control. It has happened in about 3/5 of my solo games so far. Anomalies start popping up no matter what you do. At this point you focus on completing the clue objectives ASAP. I even won once when I had three neighborhoods with anomalies! My win rate is 2/5 so far.

The game is hard but I love, love these new mechanics. Winning means little to me as I enjoy the journey and time spent absorbing myself into the game.

Btw- it helps when playing solo to avoid starting with certain characters. Calvin Wright is a strong, strong solo starting character (you have to take the dark pact though to get the Voice of the Messenger) as he can reroll all dice by taking a mental damage. Other characters aren’t so great to start with. Take Marie Lambeau- her unique ability Smokey Velvet is useless for solo play but later on in the game you can pick her after the eventual character death for her innate skill Witches Blood, which allows you to take the same action twice! Very powerful!

Last thing- character death is inevitable but a necessary evil. Being able to pick an investigator based on the curren board needs will increase your chances of controlling the game flow or to knock out very specific threats.

I love this game. Best one yet from Ff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thadeus Souza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear. This is the first thing I’ve seen that makes no rethink buying it. I loved AH 2nd because of how hard it could be. An easy Arkham game is not really something I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.