Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Locke
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

First of all, this is my very first review ever. I figured that seeing I researched this game here on BGG before I bought it. I owe it to everyone here to make a review myself. So here goes.

#1) From the get go in the store: When I picked it off the shelf I was amazed with the look and the weight of the box. Bright colors, cool artwork and a feel like the box was stuffed with goodies made me think like I was in for a treat when I was to opened it. 10 out of 10!

#2) When I opened it: I was really impressed with what I saw. It was filled with a load of parts, pieces and other contents. I spent maybe 30 minutes just reading all the race cards, even if I didn’t know what it all meant. FFG's tradition of high quality parts was again, right on the money. Well worth the cost and the raised eyebrow I got from my wife when I opened everything up in the kitchen. 10 out of 10!

#3) Rules: There was no doubt in my mind that this game had lots of rules before I bought it. I spent a full week just reading over the rules and playing the game by myself before I invited the group over to play. Not saying it could not have been done faster, but I wanted to make sure I had a good grasp on the rules before I played it with others, to make sure they would have a good experience too. (seeing no one here ever played it) The rule book is well laid out for me. I am use to rule books (like those for the Squad Leader series) which are not reader friendly. There are plenty of side bars, and examples. Its a little big and clunky to have around the table. But the size makes it easy to read. So its all good. 9 out of 10!

4)Theme of the game: If you want to have a end all, be all space adventure, galaxy conquering, back stabbing politically style game. This is it. The basic game has it all in a fairly easy game mechanic (after you get use to it). This game is not all about combat, you can win the game with out even fighting. But if you want to go on a rampage, the game can handle it nicely. As a newbie to this game, I really liked the feel of it. 10 out of 10!

5) Game mechanics: There are other reviews here that explain this. So I will keep it simple by saying its different then anything else I ever played. Each the turns are broken up into phases, and each player can pick a strategy card which helps determine who moves before the other. Each of these cards have abilities that allow the active player to do something special. Also, the game uses Action Cards, the "action" cards allow players to do good things and/or nasty things to other players. After my first few games, I cringe now when I hear someone say, "I am playing a card.." it was usually directed at me, and it was seldom good. But you know what they say about pay back. 9 out of 10!

#6) Game play: After our first game which was 6 hours long, we all experienced brain burn, headaches and red eyes. It didn’t seem like a long time, and it went fast. But when it was over, we were happy it was. Our second game, was a little longer! The thing is though, there is always something to do while playing, so it was never boring while you wait. But it takes forever to play. If you want to play a game of it, plan on it early in the day. Unless you have the time to go into the weeee hours of the next morning. This is a sore point with me, although I love games that are long and take forever to play, but not everyone else is like that. The players need to be committed to playing the game. If you are into games that last 30-60 minutes. Then this is not for you. 7 out of 10

#7) Overall thoughts: If you have the time to play it, and you have a good group of friends who enjoy long games of war, backstabbing and generally ganging up on the leader, this is it. It looks great while it’s all setup on the table, it provides hours of entertainment, and will always be different each time you play it, and it has just enough complexity to get a good feel for it and to keep the game moving. I really like it! 9 out of 10

Total score: 9 out of 10. A Good Game

Well, that’s it. My first review. I hope I helped someone to decide to buy it, like the ones that helped me to decide to buy it.

Regards and good gaming.

SGJ

Excuse the writing, my editing is not the best.. so I hope its good enough to get my drift across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I played my first (and still only) game of this a couple of months ago. I think your review is pretty dead on with how I felt about it as well. Only problem for me was the sheer length of the game. We went from 9pm - 5:30am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
How many were you? If you included how many players joined you in your experience with this game I missed it. I expect the length of time the game takes to play will be strongly affected by how many are involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
NICE job on that first review! Well done! I am NOT a fan of the game (I think I want it to be something it's not), but you did a quality job on the review. Well done! Keep them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Now pick up the expansion to make your experience sublime. Fixes some of the issues you haven't discovered yet, but will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Locke
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again,

First of all, thanks for all the comments.

To answer the question about the number of players. There were four of us. I would think that if there were more, it would actually be a little faster. The reason I say that, is that everyone takes their time when it comes to deciding what SC they are going to use first ( with 4 players, everyone gets 2) so there is a little more thinking that needs to go into what you are going to do first.

We plan on having the full 6 players in the next game, I hope it speeds everything up.

And I do plan to purchase the expansion in the next few weeks. Just waiting to give the basic set a few good run throughs.

Regards
SGJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro Sarria
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review!

I've always said this game has only one bad thing (and it is NOT bad for me): It's long. Very long. Specially if there is a noob (or several) at the table; if all (let's say 6) players have already done a game or two, you will probably end it in 5-6 hours.

I still remember that game that took us from 11 PM 'till 7:00 AM...aah, it was glorious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Dennis
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Megamaniaco wrote:
I still remember that game that took us from 11 PM 'till 7:00 AM...aah, it was glorious

Sounds like many of our gaming sessions.

"But it's 11 already. Meh, ok, just one more game".

That's usually repeated after each game.

Upon getting Catan 4 of us played from about 6pm to 7am...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.