Subject: Compared to... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
How does Firepower compare to something like say, Ambush (and does it play well solo)?

I understand it's less complex than SL/ASL, which bodes at least better for getting played in our house, but how complex is it really?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Hui
Hong Kong
Stanley
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Compared to...
them (#36574),

Firepower feature individual soldier just like Ambush. Unlike Ambush, it has no paragraphs to guide your soldiers through. You may play Firepower just as you play SL solo, i.e. play both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Quinn Nix
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten or so years ago, my wargaming buddies and I used to play Firepower a lot. I remember the game being much more about the individual weapons, and much less about the individual soldiers firing them. I also remember the M249 SAW machinegun and the M202 "flash" four-round rocket launcher (w/ white phospherous rounds!) being *the* most effective weapons in the game, to arm your squads with.

I don't think Firepower is at all a good game for playing solo. The best solo games are the ones that were designed for that, in the first place: Ambush (for WWII squad-level tactics) and Apache/Thunderbolt Leader (for modern-day, tactical scale battles). Other wargames have some good solo rules variants, but I don't think Firepower is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firepower is a more complex game compared to Ambush and since it doesn't feature any pre-programed scenarios you can play the game solo by playing each side to its best ability (with no hidden information).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, it is not a good comparison to AMBUSH!, but a better match up would be to COMMANDO, SNIPER/HETZER, UP FRONT or WEG's SOLDIERS, which are all mainly focussed on single men in squad-on-squad combat. It was okay solo but only to pick up the game mechanics, not as an actual solo game. A few things I recall:
1. very comprehensive time span (i.e. not solely WWII)
2. trees interfering with HEAT rounds
3. my first 'activation chit pull' game
4. different speed classes for vehicular moves (essentially ALKING up to AUTOBAHN)
5. lots o' chart reading
6. ten-sided dice instead of six-sided

Still on near-permanent loan to a gaming bud of mine in Edmonton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.