Thumb up
1 Posts

Jeepers Leapers» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Quick, chaotic fun for kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Wedel
flag msg tools
I picked up Jeepers Leapers at the thrift store because the components looked nice and the age range was about right for my kids. After our first few games, I'm sure this will be added to their list of favourites.

Put the two boards over a dome which allows the top round board to rotate on the lower board. As it turns, different colours show through the lily pad holes. Scatter the frogs across the board, one per hole. Yes, there is supposed to be two lily pads left empty, but the game provides no explanation as to why.

The children take turns rolling the colour-spot dice. Chaos ensues as they all pounce on frogs which match the colours that are rolled. For example, if red and green are rolled, then red frogs on green pads or green frogs on red pads can be collected. A red frog on a blue pad would not be eligible. The game rules did not mention what to do when black was rolled, but we made a house rule that black was the wild card; you could collect frogs of any colour on a lily pad of the colour on the other dice. For example; if black and yellow are rolled, then any frog on a yellow pad could be gathered.

Frog point tokens are awarded as the players return the frogs back to the game board. When the tokens run out, the player with the most tokens wins.

For this age group, the key point of the game is that every player gets to play on every turn. Unfortunately this can also be a breakdown in the game, for if the children are unmatched in age or ability, then one child will grab all of the eligible frogs before the other child can react. However the cute components and fast play still tends to keep an overmatched child interested. There is no deep strategy to this game, but winning depends entirely on pattern recognition and quick reflexes.

BGG rating 8
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.