GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

I haven’t played FBI:CoV-K more than part of a test play.

I got it today.

I house rule the heck out of some games.

Most often houseruling comes out of solo play.

FBI:CoV-K’s system of using values on cards for movement is fine and is designed to provide choices on cards and their abilities that you can play to add to the strategy (or tactics as it may be). So you see the movement value and see the board options (and still probably count out spaces with your finger out loud as is tradition lol)

And the cave movement die looks very nice and the mechanism makes sense.

I never played the original FBI that used a movement die...

But whenever a family style board game has spaces on it I like the satisfaction and randomness of rolling a die or dice. but not necessarily a loud pop-o-matic or 70’s spinner ; )

In comparison, minis skirmish games I’m used to do rely on set values on player boards or cards for square tile spaces or maneuver templates since it’s not a series of linear paths of family board game spaces. Or cards might show arrows for direction choices but still use a die or dice for resolving combat/conflict. I like rolling dice. But also like cards and moving minis. So FBI:CoV-K outside of the occasional cave die roll covers 2 out of 3.

Once I start playing FBI:CoV-K more I’ll see if a d10 or two d6’s work for starters for regular movement.

A d20 rolling down to the beach could be cool lol I have an old smaller plastic d20 from the 70’s D&D Holmes boxed set that would roll down Vul-Kar! (it’s the old white ones that used a crayon to fill in the numbers) I don’t think I’d house rule that far. But definitely will try it!  sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rapson
United States
Fridley
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 50 cards i have sitting in front of me have a mean ~8. The distribution is really weird (mostly 6s).

2d6 might be a little low of a mean (7). Maybe give movement a minimum of 4? Otherwise game could drag out long with turns of little movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thanx for doing that

I haven't looked at all the cards yet and I treasure trove

yeah that's what I was thinking or maybe a d8

but yeah lower rolls is the problem especially in the end game to get to the hello-copter is another reason they designed card values.

To 'speed' the game up roll a d6 as a modifier to the card value. not sure if saul runs that fast lol

I do that with some games like the D&D board games to see the average attack modifier is +7 when I make my own characters I base it on that and then modified based on number of target, range, hit affects to balance it out

It's worth trying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Jack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 girls are 4 and 6 so I modify a lot of my games to make the playable with them. There’s a bit too much text on the cards for a 4yo and too slow for them to stay interested.

I started with 2d6+ the orange d3 but found it was giving too high move rolls. The cards minimum move is 4 I think. We settled in on 2d6 for movement and the the tunnel die would activate a “cataclysm” on a “1”. I tracked the number of cataclysms so I knew when to add a marble to the scar. We also allowed an ember marble attack for each “1” on the 2d6 Dice. Any marble launch was preceded by turning one thing on the island.

I may change the ember launch to a “6” roll allowing you a better chance to get out of your own way knowing you’ll launch them at the end of your turn.

There were some dry spells where no marbles were launched but those were made up for at the end when random chance had us launching every turn, and even a few cataclysm and ember rolls on the same turn.

It worked for our first try, but please post your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Those sound like great ideas. Interesting how you used the dice to replace the action text also. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Jack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
Those sound like great ideas. Interesting how you used the dice to replace the action text also. sauron

Have to have something to tell you want to launch the fireballs and embers. Like I said, this method can lead to dry spells, so I was hoping someone might have some better ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Peterson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
MightyJack wrote:
Collection 1138 wrote:

Have to have something to tell you want to launch the fireballs and embers. Like I said, this method can lead to dry spells, so I was hoping someone might have some better ideas.

Just a quick thought. You could have a fireball/ember rolled very time doubles are rolled. (Not sure how you'd differentiate embers and fireballs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.