Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
After our third game we started doing this, and I wish we'd had this idea from day one. We're now on game 5. So far, doing this hasn't interfered with the game in any way...

At the end of the game, we take all the Omen and Event cards that were added to the decks during that game and we write a little flavour text in the blank parts of them to encode some of the events of that haunt into our copy of the game. We keep each bit of flavour to a few words (we don't write an essay, just something like "We were buried alive"). We don't add flavour to cards that are already dense with text (or item cards, as those get flavour in their own way). If we can, we let each player add flavour to one card (it depends on how much is added), but generally give first pick to the 'winner(s)'.

We also have added flavour to events that have recurred in ways that became noteworthy. For instance, the red player encountered the same event card in each of the first three games. So, they added a bit of flavour to that card after the third game to reflect the links between that event and their family line.

A few games down the line these cards have started popping up, and it's really improved the atmosphere and experience, reinforcing that this is our haunted house, filled with the ghosts from our stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What a lovely idea. The design team had similar thoughts early in development but we couldn't make it work cleanly. I like your execution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
What a lovely idea. The design team had similar thoughts early in development but we couldn't make it work cleanly. I like your execution.

I'll take this as confirmation that we won't run into trouble later having done this!

It was inspired by the way flavour text is expressed on the few items that start in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:

Agreed - this is the best thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We started doing it for some of the tiles too. Our pro-life ended with 3 deaths in the "foggy" woods. When someone else died there the following game we marked it with a small +1. We're al! In love with the concept of your heavily haunted foggy woods.

This is a real gem of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.