Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

It's about time to start discussing next year's 9 Card Contest

This year, I will be taking over the contest from Joseph Propati.
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He did an amazing job setting up and running this contest for the past few years but has asked that I take it over.

I'd like to keep things largely the same as they were last year - with a few small changes I'm importing from the other contests I host.

1. The contest will use the GDCR to manage entries. (Last year there were 70 entries so this will be a huge help on the back end of the contest.)
2. For the first time this year, the contest will use the Volunteer Playtesting Program that was implemented for the Solo Contest. This will help to ensure that all games get at least some feedback and that nothing gets missed or forgotten.
3. Play requirements will be changed slightly to match those found in the Solo Contest. Instead of needing to play other games, you will simply need to provide feedback on other games. (Usually this means playing the games, but I know a few people prefer to just give feedback on rules and do not have time to play everything they'd like.)

Other than that, I really liked how the contest was organized last year and plan to keep the rules largely the same.

One thing I've been mulling over that I'd like to open up for discussion is the possibility of expanding the components somewhat. The contest has always allowed dice, cubes, meeples, etc, but has never allowed custom components. I've thought a little bit about allowing players to create a very small number (i.e. 9) custom counters, tokens, etc.

The big pro to allowing more components is that in past years, some of the games really stretched to find away to not have custom components. Allowing a few components would allow those games to flow more naturally.
The downside of allowing custom components would be that it takes away from the unique challenge of the contest. I was very impressed with the creativity that people exhibited with the limited number of components. Also, if we allow more components, it takes away one of the defining aspects of the contest and makes it very similar to other small games contests such as One Page and Mint Tin.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and other ideas you might have.

Thanks!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re components: This question comes up every time in all of the component-restricted contests.

For me, it's the restrictions that make these contests great and relaxing them, even a little, just homogenises them and removes the whole creative challenge.

And it's not like the contest needs "reviving" through lack of interest. There still seem to be bazillions of ideas coming out that fit within the current restrictions.

So my vote would be to leave the scope exactly as it has been.

If you really want to increase the scope then maybe open up the nature of the components to any discrete (e.g. not blu-tack or belly button lint) small (e.g. smaller than the top joint of your thumb) generic objects without moving parts. Dice, coins, cubes, paper clips, sweets, rocks, marbles, ball bearings, washers, tooth picks, dead flies, diamonds, lego bricks, matches, fridge magnets etc.

My 2c
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Re components: This question comes up every time in all of the component-restricted contests.

For me, it's the restrictions that make these contests great and relaxing them, even a little, just homogenises them and removes the whole creative challenge.

And it's not like the contest needs "reviving" through lack of interest. There still seem to be bazillions of ideas coming out that fit within the current restrictions.

So my vote would be to leave the scope exactly as it has been.

If you really want to increase the scope then maybe open up the nature of the components to any discrete (e.g. not blu-tack or belly button lint) small (e.g. smaller than the top joint of your thumb) generic objects without moving parts. Dice, coins, cubes, paper clips, sweets, rocks, marbles, ball bearings, washers, tooth picks, dead flies, diamonds, lego bricks, matches, fridge magnets etc.

My 2c
JK

Seconded. I tanked last year's contest. But I don't think it would have helped to add components. What was lacking for me was what you already mentioned implementing. Very few playtesters giving very little feedback if any. Volunteer playtesters will be a refreshing change. Otherwise, I would keep the 9 card contest intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Flückiger
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to give this a bit more thought.

But concerning the component restrictions: I really liked it that the amount of components is very limited. The only thing that I felt was odd is the division of the components into two groups: dice and "other components", both limited to 9.

I don't know if I'll be able to participate next year's contest but I'd prefer it if it would be simply 18 (or 20?) components (=cubes/dice/coins/etc) of any kind in any combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trulog wrote:
I don't know if I'll be able to participate next year's contest but I'd prefer it if it would be simply 18 (or 20?) components (=cubes/dice/coins/etc) of any kind in any combinations.

I think this was switched last year. You could have up to 18 components in some mixture of dice, cubes, etc. I had one game with mostly dice and another with mostly cubes. I wasn't planning on changing that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For components was last year's special component paperclips? I seem to recall something about that. I like the idea of a special component every year to mix it up slightly and maybe having a corresponding special category that includes that component.

I'd love to see a Sharpie (permanent marker) added one year. I would love to see what people could create in a 9 card "legacy" design space.

Just adding to creative thought here. Definitely just food for thought. Overall, I agree that good and healthy design constraints make the contest what it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
For components was last year's special component paperclips? I seem to recall something about that. I like the idea of a special component every year to mix it up slightly and maybe having a corresponding special category that includes that component.

I'd love to see a Sharpie (permanent marker) added one year. I would love to see what people could create in a 9 card "legacy" design space.

Just adding to creative thought here. Definitely just food for thought. Overall, I agree that good and healthy design constraints make the contest what it is!

I like both of these ideas. I think the idea is just to use components that most gamers have on hand - which paperclips and markers should qualify for.

Since I usually design a wargame, counters would be a nice addition for me - but I think in the spirit of the contest, they should probably not be allowed. Besides - it is fun to think of creative ways around them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking to add new components but worry it may take away from the uniqueness of the contest, you might try allowing the ability to cut the cards or fold the cards.
I do like the option of a special component that is used one per year and changes at the end of the contest.
I also was mulling over the idea of doing a random roll chart for all the components for each contestant. The results of the rolls would determine which components your game would consist of but still be a total of 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
... the ability to cut the cards or fold the cards.

Wife: What are you playing there?
Me: A nanolegacy game.
Wife: What's nanolegacy?
Me: It's a legacy game on just 9 cards.
*snip* *snip*
Wife: Seems short.
Me: ...
Wife: Let me get the broom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chris, for taking over so this contest could continue on!

I think one of the benefits of no custom tokens/counters is that the 9 cards are on one printed page, with the option of custom backs, which essentially allowed for up to 18 cards (9 double sided) which is what I did with my entry, Carnival Games. This allows a maximum of two printed pages. (Will this option still be available?)

A second benefit is only needing to build the 9 cards and not having to build anything else. Keeping components to physical items people most likely have around does make it easier to just print, cut, and playtest these mini games.

However, I'm fine with adding custom components (or not) as I can see the benefits of going either way.

Just my .2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
If you're looking to add new components but worry it may take away from the uniqueness of the contest, you might try allowing the ability to cut the cards or fold the cards.

This would work will with the markers too. I'm kind of liking the idea of 9 Card Legacy games.
lovemyfire wrote:
I think one of the benefits of no custom tokens/counters is that the 9 cards are on one printed page, with the option of custom backs, which essentially allowed for up to 18 cards (9 double sided) which is what I did with my entry, Carnival Games. This allows a maximum of two printed pages. (Will this option still be available?)

Yes. 9 cards total but with fronts and backs available. This will allow either for card backs or double sided cards. (You could also just do 9 cards with no backs.)

lovemyfire wrote:
A second benefit is only needing to build the 9 cards and not having to build anything else. Keeping components to physical items people most likely have around does make it easier to just print, cut, and playtest these mini games.

Excellent point. Counters/tokens add a bit of complexity to the build. I do love how quickly you can build a game and playtest in this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year's dates were:

Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available: January 1st, 2018
Entry Deadline: April 1st, 2018 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Voting Deadline: May 31st, 2018 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)

I honestly didn't mind the longer time period because it allowed for lots of time to develop and playtest. I was able to play tons of the games before voting.

The downside is that the contest overlapped a few others, but it's pretty much impossible to find a totally unique time for a contest now.

Any thoughts on dates for 2019? Roughly the same time period? Shorter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Reyes
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait I already have an entry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Estevo
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
Berebekan Katabamba, Berebekan Katabamba, Berebekan Katabamba...... Kikerá!!!!
badge
Venha Monstro! Spadium Laser!
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Last year's dates were:

Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available: January 1st, 2018
Entry Deadline: April 1st, 2018 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Voting Deadline: May 31st, 2018 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)

I honestly didn't mind the longer time period because it allowed for lots of time to develop and playtest. I was able to play tons of the games before voting.

The downside is that the contest overlapped a few others, but it's pretty much impossible to find a totally unique time for a contest now.

Any thoughts on dates for 2019? Roughly the same time period? Shorter?

I think the time period was fine and should not be changed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
High appreciation of your effort as well!

As to components whitelist, we can already use wide variety of components. Just to spread (or unify) it a bit, I'd suggest to allow any small bit that does not require any additional manipulation/changes - being it bottle cups, coins, buttons, toothpicks, and so on. Maybe this idea could use some reworking, but it would still be pretty restrictive, yet interesting enhancement.

I'd also allow markers - lots of people over here laminate their games and I am pretty intrigued with an idea of draw & draw nano-game. It's just my personal idea, maybe there is not enough "laminators" out there yet.

I'd shorten the contest by 1 month. Having this small contest around brings both positives and negatives. Developing/designing such small game (once you get your basic idea right) is not as time-consuming as designing larger games. Thanks to overall small amount of components the refactoring phase runs pretty smoothly in comparison to 54-card or 1-page PnP contests, that provide wider range of possibilities where to go with your design. Saying this, it's pretty okay to have this contest up and running nearly half the year as it won't take large portion of energy. On the other hand though, it is pretty small contest and having it run for such a long time simply fades away some people's interest in the results.

One way or another, I am already waiting with my game to open the gates so I can participate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

For me the timeframe depends somewhat on how many entries each designer is allowed to design. So if 2, then the current timeframe is good. If 1, a month less would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mb
What about a timer as a component?
Everyone have an access to it on a mobile phone or a watch...
It would open the possibilities for some real time games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Siewert
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcosestevo wrote:
I think the time period was fine and should not be changed...

I second this.

A lot of contests are running too short (for my opinion).
Also it seems that a slightly better quality can be achived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uhlik wrote:

I'd be fine with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Thul
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
You mean I have to write rules for this thing I made???
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A list of "standard" components might be reasonable: dice, poker chips, cubes, coins, pawns / meeples, Catan houses, a single timer, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
uhlik wrote:

I can't stand timers and can't play timed games with my anxiety.

I much prefer time to be tied to tracks or turns within the game rather than to actual time.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't design such a game! I just wouldn't be able to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
you might try allowing the ability to cut the cards or fold the cards.

I really like this idea of allowing cutting the cards to make custom components. Not making a legacy game but more in the line of a war game, or something like this.
1-2 cards turned to components and 7 cards used as maps can make a very interesting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll take the opposing view...

I like the constraints of this contest in the past: limited components, no cutting of cards.

Cutting cards basically turns this into a 1 page design contest, in my view - unless you say we can only cut a max of 1 card or 2 cards or 3 cards.

I'm fine with whatever, and will likely enter the contest regardless of what the final rules end up as, but here is 1 vote for keeping the 9 card contest 9 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Thul
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
You mean I have to write rules for this thing I made???
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Cutting cards basically turns this into a 1 page design contest, in my view - unless you say we can only cut a max of 1 card or 2 cards or 3 cards.

I'm fine with whatever, and will likely enter the contest regardless of what the final rules end up as, but here is 1 vote for keeping the 9 card contest 9 cards.

I definitely agree. There are a lot of contests that happen on these forums, and changing rules around really blurs the lines that separate them, or (like requiring markers and laminated cards or destroying cards) eliminate some of the print and play elegance of just cutting out nine cards and maybe sleeving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris.
We miss you Joe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.