Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could say that it was me who came from behind in this game, but such was not the case. Rather, I managed to score poorly all game, and my final score reflected that.

No, instead this game was about Rob and Sarah.

I haven't played that much of the original Ticket To Ride - well, not on the board version at least. I've played quite of bit of it online, though, and I was surprised to see during this game - my first with the purely 1910 variant - that I'd become very familiar with the cards. So much so that the 1910 cards were throwing me, causing me to misstep somewhat because they weren't going where I expected them to.

Well, that's my rationalisation. In truth, I played an awful game. The two routes I originally had were short ones, and dealt with easily, but the next route - which required a 2-link and a 6-link - took me most of the rest of the game to attempt, and eventually, fail. I suck.

Meanwhile, I was pleased to see that Sarah was doing about the same as me. Lots of short routes, mostly on the Eastern edge of the map, and hovering about my score. It was Rob I was worried about.

He was taking 6-route after 6-route, and scoring big. By the time he ran out of trains, he was 80 to our 50s, and the result was not in doubt.

Except, of course, it was.

Rob had miscalculated how many trains he needed to finish his third big ticket - he was one train short. This caused him the loss of a lot of points, but still, at over 120 points, he was the favourite.

Then Sarah started revealing her tickets. 5 of them. All complete. None worth massive points, but it was enough to get very close to Rob...

...and the Globetrotter bonus for Most Completed Tickets? That put her over the top. A come-from-behind win for Sarah, unexpected, and glorious!

I like the vanilla feel of TTR compared to TTR:E, but I still prefer the Europe version due to the way it handles tickets. Perhaps I should seperate them into Long and Short tickets, and allow a choice as an even later version does...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.