United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Doupe wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Heard the same shit about the wargame subforum during the mass exodus. Funny thing is that the resulting product is much more palatable and enjoyable since most of the incendiaries have been disarmed or buried.

Oh, but the world was supposed to collapse when the comments and commentators got "de-free-speeched". Yeah... didn't happen there, isn't going to happen on BGG as a whole. It will just be a better site.

By all means, please go to the sites that offer the unbounded freedom you seek. If you can find any that have a pulse.

Read my post again. I preferred the approach where all incendiaries were punted to RSP, instead of the new one where shit-posting zealots are tolerated so long as they have the correct ideology.

Well that is patently false, so I ignored the assertion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

as has been stated many times, the old method allowed the status quo to reign unchallenged since any attempt to challenge it could be easily derailed and/or sent to RSP where no one cared. Any discussions about improving the sites representation of women and minorities ended in thread locks.

The new system, the system the vast majority of moderated communities employ, prevents derailment and allows discussions to happen. The "correct ideology" you speak of, is the ideology where everyone, not just straight, while cis males, have an equal voice and their concerns aren't dismissed out-of-hand. Sorry for your loss. Must be tough not being able to avoid discussions that point out the sexism, racism and homophobia that exists in the world. Was so much better when those people were over there---> and not bothering people, huh?

And this post is a prime example of the sort of personal attack that is now being tolerated on these forum. You are putting words into my mouth that I have never said and making assertions about my beliefs and motivations that I don't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Rob Doupe wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

as has been stated many times, the old method allowed the status quo to reign unchallenged since any attempt to challenge it could be easily derailed and/or sent to RSP where no one cared. Any discussions about improving the sites representation of women and minorities ended in thread locks.

The new system, the system the vast majority of moderated communities employ, prevents derailment and allows discussions to happen. The "correct ideology" you speak of, is the ideology where everyone, not just straight, while cis males, have an equal voice and their concerns aren't dismissed out-of-hand. Sorry for your loss. Must be tough not being able to avoid discussions that point out the sexism, racism and homophobia that exists in the world. Was so much better when those people were over there---> and not bothering people, huh?

And this post is a prime example of the sort of personal attack that is now being tolerated on these forum. You are putting words into my mouth that I have never said and making assertions about my beliefs and motivations that I don't have.

I think I see the issue here. You imagine that the above was a personal attack (it wasn't), but think that the below wasn't (and it was).

Rob Doupe wrote:
Read my post again. I preferred the approach where all incendiaries were punted to RSP, instead of the new one where shit-posting zealots are tolerated so long as they have the correct ideology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going great!

Pete (laughs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Doupe wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

My irony detector just exploded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Rob Doupe wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

My irony detector just exploded.

You will need a truck full of reserves to make it through this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

This is a huge part of why the old method was flawed and the new one is an improvement on it. And not just for the controversial discussions where cultural topics intersect with the gaming community that have been referenced here.

With the prior moderation system it was always possible for a single person to effectively hijack a thread by lobbing a controversial post in that generates heated responses. We could moderator the instigator, and we could post in the thread asking that people get back on-topic. But the disruptive post would always be there for someone new to come along, see it, reply, and start the chain reaction all over again.

That can't happen anymore. By removing unwelcome instigating comments and the responses that it generated we can make certain that the entire disruptive line withers on the vine rather than popping up again and again for the life of the thread. The quality of the on-topic discussion stays higher for considerably longer as a result.

(We've also taken this change as an opportunity to revamp the consequences of being moderated. Now people only get warnings for their removed comments and suspensions are reserved for frequent or particularly severe offenders.)

All that said, I'm locking the thread here. There are other open threads in Complaints discussing moderation - please use those to continue the discussion sans the personal jabs. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |