Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the second game of the evening we chose my newly acquired Modern Art. None of us - Sune, Rasmus, Søren and I - had tried the game before. I explained the rules to the others, which didn't take long (early Knizia games are often quite "clean" rules-wise), and we were off.

Our first game started out in quite a chaotic fashion since we had no idea of, well, anything but after a few turns we began to catch on a bit and the game was soon a hard contest. Or rather, the others did, since I continued to play like an idiot.

In the final scoring, Sune came in first with just over $400.000. I ended up last.

For the inevitable rematch, Søren opted to play something else, but the three remaining players were joined by Ken, and I got to explain the rules once again. This game was a lot tighter than the first, but in the final turn I managed to get five attractive paintings, worth a total of $260.000. I ended up with $605.000, which made me the clear winner of that game.

In general the game was well received. Personally, I was extremely impressed and can easily see why this would be considered the ultimate auction game. The game feels a lot like Reiner's Medici, but every decision in Modern Art is just more complex and interesting than Medici, and there are a gazillion factors to consider in each and every auction in the game.

After the second game Sune felt that group-think and second-guessing played an important part in a successful strategy, but since I hadn't really thought much about those aspects in my winning game, I was hesitant to agree. Of course he may be right, and I look forward to trying the game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.