Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Caylus fan. I really, really, really love the game. Unfortunately, as with any game of skill, the fact that I've played it a lot on bsw means that my local friends aren't really that close to me in skill. I don't mean to say that I'm a superb player or anything - if anything, decidedly average - but you need to play a certain number of games before you "get" Caylus, and given that our local group likes playing a wide range of games, we don't really build up the experience at any one game. (Unless we go online and practise!)

So, Caylus Magna Carta. It's like Caylus, except it isn't. The subtleties of favour and limited building availability are gone, to be replaced by the subtleties of a crowded road and resource shortages. This is actually a really interesting game, well worth the effort of acquiring and learning.

It didn't take long for Craig and Randy to learn the rules (I'd perused them on the train back from Melbourne), and so we were soon away. Released from the need to build in the castle, I started investigating the possibilities awarded by building the town.

Hmm. Here's a tip for all of you out there: don't neglect the castle! It's an excellent source of victory points!

The way that Caylus MC gives secondary bonuses for all your buildings, to replace the prestige point bonuses, is brilliant. It's especially brilliant with the wooden building - they give a limited supply of resource cubes, after which you'd be well advised to turn them into residences. Both Randy and I took advantage of that.

Money is tight in this game. Very tight. Craig never really managed to get a stable source of money. I was the first to build a residence, and the Lawyer, so I could get some from that. Craig and Randy shared picking up gold for building in the Castle, but I was looking forward to the prestige buildings... for which I needed the gold I wasn't getting from the Castle.

Oh, gold as a wild resource? Fantastic idea!

The game didn't take us long at all - perhaps 50 minutes - and I knew I was struggling by the end. Final scoring:

Merric: 27 points (12 castle, 13 buildings, 2 from remaining resources)
Randy: 39 points (26 castle, 10 buildings, 3 from gold)
Craig: 25 points (15 castle, 8 buildings, 3 from gold)

I definitely need to play this game more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that C:MC is an excellent game. But FYI, gold is wild in regular Caylus also.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I agree that C:MC is an excellent game. But FYI, gold is wild in regular Caylus also.

I can find no reference to that in either the English rules or FAQ. Could you show me the reference?

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
Octavian wrote:

I can find no reference to that in either the English rules or FAQ. Could you show me the reference?

Cheers,
Merric

Hmmm...I remember being taught that way and took it for granted, thus it didn't surprise me when it was in the C:MC rules. Not that it mattered much - I don't think I'd ever seen gold used that way as it simply wasn't worth it, unlike in C:MC where it is rare for a game to see gold never used as wild.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schmeltzer
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
It's not that gold is a wildcard resource in Regular Caylus. It does qualify as any resource for the purpose of building batches at the castle (which I have seen used infrequently) or the market, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes kind sir, I happened to misplace my pig. Perhaps you will accept this generously sized bag of solid gold instead?"

Like really, who would say 'no'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold is not wild in regular Caylus: it can be used when you have the symbol "white cube" like any other ressource. So you can use it to built the wooden market or peddler (with a wood - never seen it), sell it on a market (never seen this also) or participate as a batch for the castle (along with food and another different ressource - this can be seen in occasion).

But in CMC it is wild (and even can be used several times in the same batch, or to build).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.