Popular Tags: [View All]
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My advice to you...
badge
...is to start drinking heavily!
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah fanMicrobadge: TapestryMicrobadge: Miles Davis fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
https://www.nickbentley.games/commodity-board-games/ cry

From gallery of remus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey... guess what... those with money are finding ways to invest in things.

And you also say that there is an economic cycle associated with the toy/hobby industry?

Next thing someone is going to proclaim is that water is wet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My advice to you...
badge
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah fanMicrobadge: TapestryMicrobadge: Miles Davis fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
darthhugo wrote:

And you also say that there is an economic cycle associated with the toy/hobby industry?

Water is wet.

True story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Hanamikoji fanMicrobadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Citation needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Twin GirlsMicrobadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Valor and Victory fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Drums player
Wait till water evaporates and turns into... clouds!
Now THAT will blow your mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Shocked. Almost as much as boardgamers realizing that their hobby isn't anything more than a business to those that actually create, manage, and execute the existence of said hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My advice to you...
badge
Akado wrote:
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Citation needed.
Ok, maybe it’s not as cut and dry as I thought.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=6097
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: I logged 365 plays in 365 days in 2019!Microbadge: Dominion fan
If the boardgaming bubble is anything like the internet bubble or the early video game bubble it’ll suck if you’re part of a company that overextends and then goes bust as a result - but it’ll be fine for the consumer.
After any so-called burst they’ll still be plenty of people playing games and making games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: Today on TableTopMicrobadge: Land SurveyorMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: University of Nebraska
Board game manufacturing may well be in a bubble, which is not necessarially a bad thing (it will shake the cull the bad apples out of the market), but as a cultural phenomenon, I do not think the hobby of board gaming has entered the bubble phase yet(i.e. where people play games just because "it's the cool thing to do"). It's the latter rather than the former that I'm more worried about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: SoloCon attendeeMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fan
There’s only so many times you can sell the same game with a new number at the end or a different title before you need to reinvent yourself. They helped create a new market, now they need to learn how to stay ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remus wrote:
Akado wrote:
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Citation needed.

Yes... entire division of Chemistry dealing specifically with water.

Then again, if one doesn't have any knowledge, how would one know what they don't know?

DEATHOFEXPERTISEWHEREEVERYONETHINKSTHEYAREENLIGHTENEDORACLESONALLTHINGS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raz O'Xane
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Microbadge: Seasons fanMicrobadge: Aeon's End: War Eternal fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Gosu fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Source?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My advice to you...
badge
darthhugo wrote:
remus wrote:
Akado wrote:
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Citation needed.

Then again, if one doesn't have any knowledge, how would one know what they don't know?

You seem annoyed that I posted this article. I never claimed to be an expert on anything. Sorry if you’re triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
remus wrote:
Akado wrote:
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Citation needed.

You seem annoyed that I posted this article. I never claimed to be an expert on anything. Sorry if you’re triggered.
Oh, not disturbed. Bemused at best.

Sorry that my responses have affected you. On this day of Thanks, I thank you for this fine post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My advice to you...
badge
darthhugo wrote:
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
remus wrote:
Akado wrote:
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Citation needed.

Oh, not disturbed. Bemused at best.

Sorry that my responses have affected you. On this day of Thanks, I thank you for this fine post.
Snarky then, gotcha. I wish you well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Plays Games At LunchMicrobadge: Splendor fanMicrobadge: Toronto Maple Leafs fanMicrobadge: Sagrada fanMicrobadge: Toronto Blue Jays fan
Circles1905 wrote:
I am pretty sure board games are not being priced based on consumers speculating on the potential for capital gains on resale.
... except for out-of-print games on the GeekMarket. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Microbadge: Got My Kicks on the 66!Microbadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: OGREMicrobadge: One Ring to rule them all...
CMON likely experiences wild swings in value based on their use of Kickstarter as a funding engine, it's already a boom or bust cycle for them, so their books show that as well. It's mainly accounting tricks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
Microbadge: Nintendo Switch fanMicrobadge: Minecraft fanMicrobadge: Above and Below fanMicrobadge: Terraria fanMicrobadge: Super Mario Maker fan
Are bubbles wet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Twin GirlsMicrobadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Valor and Victory fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Drums player
Evenhope wrote:
Are bubbles wet?
Squishy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
Microbadge: Network EngineerMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 09 BGG poster
Who would have thought releasing the same game over and over with some different mini's wouldn't work forever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rising Sun fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (fourth edition) fanMicrobadge: Warrior Knights fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan
Or cubes..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: Gold game rater - I've rated 500+ games on the Geek
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Water isn’t wet. Solid objects that are covered in water or have absorbed water and can lose that water by being wiped, squeezed, or dried, are wet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darthhugo wrote:
Shocked. Almost as much as boardgamers realizing that their hobby isn't anything more than a business to those that actually create, manage, and execute the existence of said hobby.
While this is certainly the case, there are enough who also do their job out of passion. But, sure, it's still a job and paying bills and all that (or on a larger scale makes your shareholders happy).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My advice to you...
badge
Ryan Keane wrote:
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Water isn’t wet. Solid objects that are covered in water or have absorbed water and can lose that water by being wiped, squeezed, or dried, are wet.
Yep. Already stated earlier in the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Hanamikoji fanMicrobadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
remus wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
remus wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Water is wet.

True story.
Yep. Already stated earlier in the thread.
I was going to say that this thread needed some hard science to back it up, but I didn't expect this turn of events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |