Hide
5 Posts

Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Marquise de Cat strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Root [+] [View All]
Philip R
msg tools
Anyone like to play the Marquise? What strategies have you found to be successful? The Cats are described as 'low complexity' which I think is true if you want to just 'do' things, but to actually win with them requires a lot of strategic thought. There is an incredible amount of logical planning that goes in to maximizing every turn!

Here is my take, please note this is based on a somewhat idealized setup, if your opponents/cards provide different opportunities then take into consideration:

Initial placement:
-usually put keep in one of the two corners adjacent to the two rabbit clearings, mouse is nice since it has two building spots
-place workshop in the rabbit clearing with two spots, save the 2nd spot for a 2nd workshop
-usually I like the sawmill with the keep and the recruiter on the rabbit clearing with the ruin token since that's as close to the action and can act as a check if an opponent builds in the fox corner.

Initial actions:
-option 1: build, overwork, build (usually recruiter and workshop-see below)
-option 2: build, move/move to shore up some defenses

General tips:
Don't put too many sawmills because if extra wood accumulates, that becomes a very tempting target. I like two and to use overwork when more needed, I found being wood poor less stressful than being wood rich.

I concentrate on getting recruiters out early to try and push up card draw. Try to draw and craft any cards that give extra actions with a preference for Better Burrow(best), Command Warren and Cobbler since they all cost 2 rabbits which if you built in the corner described above is very easy to accomplish. This is the big reason to chose the corner adjacent to the rabbit clearings.

Tax Collector is very attractive but harder to get out.

If there is no Vagabond, I ignore crafting for points early game entirely. Getting up in the score track puts a bulls eye on your back. Even if the Vagabond is in play he is unlikely to give you a card you actually want.

Blue cards should be used exclusively for extra turns (with the exception of possibly saving an ambush to protect your most valuable assets).

The above is the easy part. The hard part is keeping your opponents in check. You have to police them, always consider what they're capable of and protect the most valuable clearings. If your opponents try to set up a good scoring opportunity, try to knock it down or at least be a nuisance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip R
msg tools
Some other comments:
Especially early game, don't use the field hospital unless you are in serious jeopardy. A card for a warrior is a poor deal (especially considering the Tax Collector warrior for a card is a great deal!). If this rule gets updated, field hospital might become more appealing but I could still imagine situations I wouldn't use it even with the buff.

When I say policing, I mean you have to commit! Maybe one move action to move 5-8 warriors on to an enemy location and be ready to spend blue cards to get 3-4 battles. You won't make a lot of points, but hopefully someone else won't either.

Extra battles is definitely where most of your blue cards should be going, and occasionally to get an additional building out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Loki
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's the field hospital buff?

And can you really horde blue cards if WA is playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. miriku
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading of Marquise is that she doesn't have the same burst scoring that a lot of the other factions do. This means your main job is really to make sure the other factions accelerate as late as possible. If the Woodland Alliance is in game then my round 1 will include me spending bird cards as appropriate to make sure I can attack their sympathy tokens round 2 without giving them a blue. If the Cult is in and looks remotely close to having 3 gardens in a suit that hasn't shown a "Favor of" card yet, I'm probably marching there to raze those gardens. If the Otters are hoarding money, we're walking over to kick over that trade post.

You're the Counter-Insurgent faction of this game. Your (and the Eyrie's) job is to constantly be kicking down everyone who tries to sneak up, while at the same time keeping each other in check.

Quick Edit: I should also mention that every cat win I've ever seen has been through a domination card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip R
msg tools
MCLondon wrote:
What's the field hospital buff?

And can you really horde blue cards if WA is playing?

There is a whole other thread where the discussion is focused on whether discard a card should be changed to reveal a card, whether its OP, what limits, etc.

The WA makes hoarding more difficult, but you don't want to actually hoard as that makes the blue cards unrealized value.

miriku wrote:
You're the Counter-Insurgent faction of this game. Your (and the Eyrie's) job is to constantly be kicking down everyone who tries to sneak up, while at the same time keeping each other in check.

Quick Edit: I should also mention that every cat win I've ever seen has been through a domination card.

These are definitely sentiments I feel about Cats.

Maybe Cats don't offer the breadth of play I was hoping for. I like to imagine someone tried a strategy of doing a invade/build/evacuate to abandon building/buildings so they can be torn down, only to build them back up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.