GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: World War 2 Wargame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Goeth
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone
I just joined the site and was wondering if you guys could possibly reccomend some Wargames to me.Im looking for two different kinds so i'll just list what im looking for:

1) A strategy game that is basically like Panzer Blitz but takes a fairly long amount of time to play, im especially looking for ones that go as in depth as Panzer Blitz (with the ability to build briges, have air support etc..)Two players would be okay but three would be ideal if thats possible.

2)A game that is similar to Axis and Allies: Europe, but not identical. This game would ideally force you to build up an economy and sustain it before and during war. The world war 2 time period would be nice but i wouldnt mind the napoleonic era either. Although i would like an economic aspect, i would also like detailed combat, including artillery, plane and the like. Also i would like the game to take place mainly in europe if this is possible.

Thanks in advance!
Regards
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One suggestion for a game "like Panzerblitz" only a bit more complex, and realistic, would be Tank Leader. There are 3 in the series: Eastern Front TL, Western Front TL, and Desert Steel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) PanzerBlitz is very outdated, but MMP are making a new version here. Only for preorder, but I would wait for it if I were you.

2) For a game like Axis & Allies (and also perfect for 3 players), I'd recommend Europe Engulfed. Europe Engulfed is a tad more complex, but more rewarding than Axis & Allies, which I find just a boring dicefest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It's a smaller scale than Panzerblitz, but I would suggest the ASL Starter Kits as a next step -- Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #3 introduces tanks, but #1 is excellent as well.

2. I would second Europe Engulfed on the strategic side. It doesn't cover 'pre-war' economics, but very few games do. You might also consider The Napoleonic Wars which is a terrific take on the strategic-level Napoleonic genre.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lundinandreas wrote:
1) PanzerBlitz is very outdated, but MMP are making a new version here. Only for preorder, but I would wait for it if I were you.

2) For a game like Axis & Allies (and also perfect for 3 players), I'd recommend Europe Engulfed. Europe Engulfed is a tad more complex, but more rewarding than Axis & Allies, which I find just a boring dicefest.

I have to agree with Europe Engulfed. I just played it for the first time this weekend. It's much "heavier" than A&A but since you mentioned old AH games (you mentioned PB, maybe you've tried others) you should be able to easily flow into the system. I found my past experience with AH's "Rise and Decline of the Third Reich" helped quite a bit. Although it'll probably be this weekend before we get it right! still, beats the He** out of A&A (Japanese take Moscow?!?!)and I love the fog o' war block system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Juul Paustian
Denmark
Hvidovre
flag msg tools
mbmb
afromon_11 wrote:
Hi Everyone
I just joined the site and was wondering if you guys could possibly reccomend some Wargames to me.Im looking for two different kinds so i'll just list what im looking for:

1) A strategy game that is basically like Panzer Blitz but takes a fairly long amount of time to play, im especially looking for ones that go as in depth as Panzer Blitz (with the ability to build briges, have air support etc..)Two players would be okay but three would be ideal if thats possible.

2)A game that is similar to Axis and Allies: Europe, but not identical. This game would ideally force you to build up an economy and sustain it before and during war. The world war 2 time period would be nice but i wouldnt mind the napoleonic era either. Although i would like an economic aspect, i would also like detailed combat, including artillery, plane and the like. Also i would like the game to take place mainly in europe if this is possible.

Thanks in advance!
Regards
John

Hi,
didn't you make the same post in the Wargaming forum?
I can strongly recommend Attack! as a subtitude to Axis and Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.