Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: A little more PG, a little less 13? Continuation of previous thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
msg tools
mbmb
Hoping to garner some more attention/opinions I am posting this new thread in relation to my previous thread about the art work. Has anyone attempted to customize the game to tone down the "hyper-sexualized" images and miniatures in the game? I've bought the base game, prison outbreak, and toxic mall. Obviously the worst "offender" would be the mall. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything, or had any suggestions.

In order to head off any comments about being uncomfortable with the "female body" but fine with "violence and gore and chopping things" it's really simple. I play games with my wife, she isn't in to zombies, blood, guts, gore, etc. And she especially isn't into semi-nude women in my games. However, she is willing to forgo her aversion to the zombie gore and guts and violence to make me happy, she is not however going to go along with the "sexy" zombies (yuck), so I'm trying to find a work around. Copy of the manuals without the art work, new character cards, some way to mod the minis, anything that might work, I am open to suggestions

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyrix137 wrote:
Hoping to garner some more attention/opinions I am posting this new thread in relation to my previous thread about the art work. Has anyone attempted to customize the game to tone down the "hyper-sexualized" images and miniatures in the game? I've bought the base game, prison outbreak, and toxic mall. Obviously the worst "offender" would be the mall. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything, or had any suggestions.

In order to head off any comments about being uncomfortable with the "female body" but fine with "violence and gore and chopping things" it's really simple. I play games with my wife, she isn't in to zombies, blood, guts, gore, etc. And she especially isn't into semi-nude women in my games. However, she is willing to forgo her aversion to the zombie gore and guts and violence to make me happy, she is not however going to go along with the "sexy" zombies (yuck), so I'm trying to find a work around. Copy of the manuals without the art work, new character cards, some way to mod the minis, anything that might work, I am open to suggestions

Thanks in advance!

From your description, there is nothing about this game that would appeal to your spouse, so why subject to her to it at all? Why not just play the game by yourself? It's a co-op game, so the only issue is running multiple characters.

With that said, if I recall correctly, if you're not painting the minis, I really don't find the content you're calling out all that objectionable. When the mini is all one color, it's kind of difficult to tell some of the zeds are essentially falling out of their outfits. And if you are painting your minis, you could elect to not add blood/gore to them, and paint those showing excessive skin in a way that minimizes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
With that said, if I recall correctly, if you're not painting the minis, I really don't find the content you're calling out all that objectionable. When the mini is all one color, it's kind of difficult to tell some of the zeds are essentially falling out of their outfits. And if you are painting your minis, you could elect to not add blood/gore to them, and paint those showing excessive skin in a way that minimizes it.

To second that...

i've owned/played all of the retail bits for 3 years now and never noticed anything over-sexualized about them. Some of the "guest boxes" are more risqué, but the plain old core boxes and expansions are in no way what i'd call over-sexualized. i've seen far more risqué stuff on the cover of Sports Illustrated and everyday TV commercials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyrix137 wrote:
...so I'm trying to find a work around. Copy of the manuals without the art work, new character cards, some way to mod the minis, anything that might work, I am open to suggestions

If you're willing to go so far as mini modifications...

there are several sets of paper zombie minis on RPGNow. They just need to be printed out and placed into a stand (those are trivial to make from foamcore or even window insulation tape). In particular, this product line:

https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/2931/DARKMOOK-Paper-Miniat...

has several sets which are thematic matches to Zombicide sets (including hospital- and prison-themed sets).

And they're currently on sale in the scope of Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Edit: an example of paper minis bases made from window insulation tape:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly? Just play something else. I think that's a way easier thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
From your description, there is nothing about this game that would appeal to your spouse, so why subject to her to it at all? Why not just play the game by yourself? It's a co-op game, so the only issue is running multiple characters.

Firstly, "subjecting her to it" as you say makes it sound like torture. One of the simplest expressions of love is being able to do something that you don't necessarily enjoy but your spouse does, so you do it together. For example, I watch her cheesy romance comedies and chick flicks, her hallmark Christmas movies, walk through big community gardens, etc. Not because I enjoy those activities, but because she does and it makes me happy to do things with her that makes her happy, and she does the same for me. Also, I have 3 young children and a full time overnight shift job, I don't have time to solo a game that could take hours to play. Unless there is some way to "save" a game and still put it all away?

Quote:
If you're willing to go so far as mini modifications...

there are several sets of paper zombie minis on RPGNow. They just need to be printed out and placed into a stand (those are trivial to make from foamcore or even window insulation tape). In particular, this product line:

https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/2931/DARKMOOK-Paper-Miniat...

has several sets which are thematic matches to Zombicide sets (including hospital- and prison-themed sets).

And they're currently on sale in the scope of Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Edit: an example of paper minis bases made from window insulation tape:
This is the most useful reply in this thread, thank you for attempting to give a solution to my question. I'm not looking to replace all the minis in the game, so mixing paper minis with the rest would really break the theme.

Honestly, I was looking for suggestions before I break out the soldering iron and melt some plastic boobs, and take a Sharpie to the rulebook and character cards to mark out the "offending" images. For what I paid for the games, if that makes it something that my wife and I can enjoy together then it's worth it. Even if it kills the resale value. Obviously I would rather do something less extreme, hence why I came here to ask for suggestions.

Thank you Erik and Stephan for the info regarding the retail boxes versus the guest boxes and suggestions for painting or leaving them standard. I'm waiting on my packages to arrive. From what I understand and have gathered from the forums is that, in regards to what I purchased, season 1 has the least sexually objectionable material and that toxic mall has the worst, and prison outbreak is somewhere in the middle. Like I said, just looking for alternative solutions to what I came up with.

If the game is not worth that much trouble, let me know now and I'll throw up a geekmarket listing without even opening the boxes.

If you are still with me, thanks for reading! And thanks for your suggestions!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the most fun with the zombicide base game.
I have all of the expansions and Kickstarter content.
The more stuff we added to it, the less we enjoyed it, and the less we played it.

My recommendation for you is to just play the base game.

You can grab all of the characters out of all three boxes to use with the base game. This will give you options to avoid a character that you don’t like.

Also I recommend adding the grey zombies from prison outbreak to your games so that you don’t run out of zombies.

There are tons of extra missions to download at zombicide.com.

Most of the missions are balanced with six characters, if you’re playing this with your wife, you’ll want to usually be playing three characters each.

Don’t open the small cards from toxic city mall or prison outbreak until you are totally bored with the base game and want to try out toxic and berserker zombies.
The items in these decks are balanced to combat toxic and berserker zombies,in my opinion they really mess with the balance of the game.

Good luck, have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
The more stuff we added to it, the less we enjoyed it, and the less we played it.

I have to second this.

If ever we added any expansion stuff, it was just one or two things per game. We never threw EVERYTHING together. If you want to add Zombie Dogz (for example) to a base game scenario, I think it still works just fine, and adds more challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ive got zombicide core.and the toxic mall expansion..dont really need anything else!.the other expansions are themes really...oh,i forgot ive got the dogz as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyrix137 wrote:
Quote:

Firstly, "subjecting her to it" as you say makes it sound like torture. One of the simplest expressions of love is being able to do something that you don't necessarily enjoy but your spouse does, so you do it together. For example, I watch her cheesy romance comedies and chick flicks, her hallmark Christmas movies, walk through big community gardens, etc. Not because I enjoy those activities, but because she does and it makes me happy to do things with her that makes her happy, and she does the same for me. Also, I have 3 young children and a full time overnight shift job, I don't have time to solo a game that could take hours to play. Unless there is some way to "save" a game and still put it all away?

I think he's saying there are better games your wife would play with you, ones that would require much less "modification".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyper sexualised??? You mean random male and female survivors or the rotting Zombies? I don't remember anything sexual about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Hyper sexualised??? You mean random male and female survivors or the rotting Zombies? I don't remember anything sexual about the game.

Not played with Toxic City Mall then?

But yeah, just omit the 'sexy' survivors and I don't see an issue with the zombies personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:

My recommendation for you is to just play the base game.

This. I had issues with this game eventually because we added too much to it. Less is more many times and Zombicide is an example. At first blush adding everything looks like more fun, and while it is interesting, I found it is way less fun than the simple base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, that character has an ample bosom, partially exposed. Sexualized, I'll buy, but "HYPER-sexualized?" I don't think so. Zombicide is ridiculous right out of the box - hell, one of the characters (an exclusive) is in an evening gown. The sheer comical nature of it is just pure fun. It's a bit cheeky, but it's not deliberately trying to offend.

Now, personal tastes vary, no doubt about that. The great thing is that you can, as others have stated, simply not play with certain characters. Zombicide has a glut of different characters.
Trying to edit all the potentially "offensive" images from the rulebook seems like a waste of time. Once you get into the game, you'll rarely use it except to set up scenarios. Also, before you invest all that time in trying to edit the rulebook, play the game a few times. You're obviously interested in it, but it may not be a game you both love after you've played it, so run it through and make sure it's worth all this effort.

Oh, and just have fun.

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Zombicide Black Plague might be a better option. I think you'll find less of what your S.O. thinks of as objectionable. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the helpful replies. As for the term "hyper-sexualized" that was borrowed from some of the other threads. I'll just check everything out a little closer when it finally gets here and sift through it all.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yogert Lord
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously? Let your wife choose a game that you can both enjoy. Personally I bought the game for its blood, gore, and side boobs. It's wonderful the way it is and I hope (fingers crossed), there is even more blood and gore in subsequent additions. The theme of killing rotting corpses whose sole purpose is to eat the flesh of the living is, by it's very nature, mature content. The price tag alone is a good indication the game is ment for mature adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its all very simple, you just need another wife to play Zombicide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmb
You know, I comment regularly about how much I love this community, and I really do for the most part. However, I find it incredibly irritating when people get up on their soap boxes about this or that and make it a point to talk down to other people. I came here to simply ask for suggestions to a problem I and, from what I have read in the forums, others have with the game. If I were asking about a rule that I did not care for the responses would be more along the lines of "it's your game, play it how you want" but since it is about boobs your responses are "take it or leave it". Somehow I imagine the publisher could not care less if I sharpied the instruction booklet, printed an all text version of it that I made myself, or took a pocket knife and carved every boob from every miniature as long as they get my money. I didn't come here asking the publisher to make a game catered to my liking, I want to find a way to adapt it myself. Beyond all of that, what difference does it make in your gaming life if I want to change a game to my liking? Absolutely none, I don't particularly care if you think I should or should not, only if you had any suggestions how.

Fwiw, I see no correlation between price tag and the inclusion of boobs, or implied mature content.

Again, thank you to the replies who offered constructive comments!

Thanks,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about not using “hyper-sexualized” characters when you are playing with your wife? If someone dislikes specific content - just dont use this content with this peoples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyrix137 wrote:
You know, I comment regularly about how much I love this community, and I really do for the most part. However, I find it incredibly irritating when people get up on their soap boxes about this or that and make it a point to talk down to other people. I came here to simply ask for suggestions to a problem I and, from what I have read in the forums, others have with the game. If I were asking about a rule that I did not care for the responses would be more along the lines of "it's your game, play it how you want" but since it is about boobs your responses are "take it or leave it". Somehow I imagine the publisher could not care less if I sharpied the instruction booklet, printed an all text version of it that I made myself, or took a pocket knife and carved every boob from every miniature as long as they get my money. I didn't come here asking the publisher to make a game catered to my liking, I want to find a way to adapt it myself. Beyond all of that, what difference does it make in your gaming life if I want to change a game to my liking? Absolutely none, I don't particularly care if you think I should or should not, only if you had any suggestions how.

Fwiw, I see no correlation between price tag and the inclusion of boobs, or implied mature content.

Again, thank you to the replies who offered constructive comments!

Thanks,
Chris

Rules are much more easily changed than artwork. On top of that, I think the name kind of implies mature content. It'd be the same thing if I got mad at Tiny Epic Galaxies for having space artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyrix137 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Sorry you have received some irrational responses to your question. I think your post is fair and reasonable, and you didn't pass judgement on others. It's a shame others are passing judgement on you for your own personal choices.

I've really enjoyed Zombicide (it used to be my most played game for a time- it was just sooo easy to get to the table), but I actually don't like some of the artwork, especially the female molds and artwork. I think it's a bit too sexualized to the point of being adolescent in nature, so you are not alone on that. I was an original backer for all 3 original kickstarters, and each time I mentioned that the sexualized female characters were not my favorites. But I recognize that others enjoy them so it that's fine.

My suggestion is- just don't pay with those survivors. The zombies are not sexual in reality. Sure you could paint them to be sexual, but if you are just playing with the plain non-painted minis you will never notice anything sexual about the zombies. Some have clothes falling apart, but it doesn't come across as sexual in the molds.

The survivors... yes there are some very sexualized survivors. Less so in the survivors that come in the games, but more so with the kickstarter exclusives and loads of extra survivors that way. Just put those ones away and don't use them. That is what we did. It worked great. There were some that just sucked so we put them away as well so new players wouldn't pick a weak survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisoc13 wrote:

Sorry you have received some irrational responses to your question. I think your post is fair and reasonable, and you didn't pass judgement on others. It's a shame others are passing judgement on you for your own personal choices.

I think most responses here have been more than reasonable. No one is really passing judgement, it's rather the case of "modifying all the artwork and what not is way more work than the game is worth". In this case, I think "play something else" is a reasonable response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmb
I certainly have no need or intention to modify all of the artwork. The blood, guts, gore and all that is fine. My wife isn't a zombie fan by any stretch, but we play last night on earth together, at least the gore factor goes hand in hand with the theme and she goes along with that. You can't do zombies without blood and guts and brains and she gets that. However, you don't have to have Elsa up there, you don't have to have barely there bikini topped minis, and you don't have to have the bikini topped zombie in the manual for toxic city mall. Really from what I can see from the pics on here and some rulebook scans I found, those three things are all the I may need to change. Probably won't need to do anything to the minis since I don't paint. That's a far cry from "changing all the art work"

Look, the game looks like a ton of fun, it has a pretty diehard following, I'm certain my.wife will have fun playing it , just trying to find a good way to get rid of the superfluous boobs. Some people might enjoy them, we don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yogert Lord
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found the solution to your problem. Mini coats. It's the perfect modification to decrease the explicit nature of the highly sexualized characters. It will also keep them from catching a cold during the winter.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ae/c3/1d/aec31d4996e0d4570c5b68c23...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyrix137 wrote:
just trying to find a good way to get rid of the superfluous boobs.

1. Look through the character mats and remove the offending characters & minis.
2. Sexy zombies? Maybe my vision isn't great, but I'm not looking that hard at these relatively small minis. Or as point #1 describes, remove them.

Problem solved? What else you got?

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.