82 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Betrayal Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Compiled FAQ (Spoilers Hidden, each Chapter hidden separately) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Lee
msg tools
I noticed that there isn't a compiled FAQ for this game yet and thought I'd go ahead and make one, despite not having finished it myself yet. Format (and some wording) cribbed from david707 in the Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 Forum.

When replying to this thread, please use spoiler tags!
If you're writing about something that happens part way through the legacy experience. To do so, click the SP button or type [ o] [ /o] without the spaces to hide what's between them, you can use preview to check it worked before submitting.

Do I really have to do irreversible things to this game when playing it?
You are supposed to, yes, for the purpose of building your own custom haunted house once the campaign is over. However, there are ways to preserve the game if you go to great lengths to do so.

FAQ Notes
New rules and elements are covered in the chapters they are introduced.
Haunt specific rules and questions are covered in their own section.

How can I suggest changes and additions?
Post it in this thread with spoiler tags and label the Chapter number it first comes up.

Remember:
Rules in haunts trump other rules.
Rules on cards or tiles trump rules in the rulebook.

If you find a single card, rule, or effect that gives you a wildly powerful moment, that probably isn’t its intention.
If you find a combination of several cards, rules, and effects that give you an advantage, that probably is the intention.
If an effect seems wildly unfair, that is not the correct interpretation.

Suggestion: At the end of each game, add flavor text to Events and Omens added during that game to further personalize your haunted house.
Idea from Candi at: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2098318/tip-add-flavour-tex...

General Questions
I punched out the tile planks before I was supposed to. Help!
See this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2084689/help-i-punched-out-...

How do I get to the basement?
The Ground Floor Staircase leads to the Basement Landing (a change from the original game).

What counts as a landing tile?
All tiles with letter "L": Upper Landing, Basement Landing, Entrance Hall & Front Steps.

If something tells you to draw the "Top of the item deck," does it still have to be keyed to the region you are in?/What do I do if I need to draw an item card but no more match my region?
You take the top item card regardless of region.

When do I check off boxes on item/event cards?
"Only when instructed. The instructions may be on the card but this isn’t always true. The bleak journal may tell you to do so. Also look up the intensify rules in the rulebook. But only do so when told."

When do used items and omens refresh?
"At the start of your turn. (page 9)"

What happens if starting a Haunt would deal lethal damage to a player during setup before any player even gets to take a turn?
They do not die (but still take the damage and will likely be critical on that trait).

Can I use weapons while defending against an attack?
No. Your weapon likely specifies that its effects only apply when you are performing the ATTACK action.

Does attacking someone from an adjacent tile/line of sight work between regions?/Can I shoot someone on a floor from another floor?
No. Your ranged weapon likely specifies you can only hit someone in "your region."

Do I take damage if I fight someone with a ranged weapon while on the same tile as them and lose?
Yes.

Can I use different families and/or a different number of families for each chapter?
Yes. Note: "If a family has missed MORE than half of the played chapters, give them three random Items after step 7 of setup and have them keep one. Shuffle the other two back into the Item deck. The player may heirloom this item if it has a slot available, following usual heirloom rules, except this does NOT count toward the once-per-game limit on making heirlooms."

Prologue
Spoiler (click to reveal)
What do I do with the Omen card after I finish the Prologue?
It is now the first and only card (so far) in your Omen deck. When you land on a tile with the Omen symbol for the first time in your next game, you would draw that card. Future Omens you find will be added to the Omen deck at the end of each game.

Chapter 1
How does the Gambler calling work?
As long as you have at least 2 blank dice, you may re-roll exactly 2 blank dice. Remember that you can only do it during your turn and only once per turn.

Can the player with the Scholar calling defend against attacks with Knowledge?
"You can use that calling to defend. Damage is still physical though."

Chapter 2
I'm playing Haunt 11 and something seems unfair.
See Haunt 11 in the Haunt Specific section below.

Can Inhabitants discover new tiles?
No, they are not intended to.

What is the Tomb?
The space under the tray/insert.

Chapter 2 end:
FAQs about the Helm are in Chapter 3

Chapter 3
The Helm
Where do I place the crests on the Helm?
You can place a crest on ANY empty space on the Helm. You do not need to follow any particular order.

Can I use the Helm in Chapter 3 even though we already put a crest on it as part of setup?
Yes.

Can I use the Helm even if I'm dead?
Yes, as long as you are rerolling a die roll you made despite being dead. This is most likely to occur if you are a dead traitor as you are able to reroll for any monster you control.

What happens if I anger the Helm by disrespecting it by not following its rules?
"Nothing will happen. It's flavor text."

Chapter 4
No known questions.

Chapter 5
No known questions.

Chapter 6
How do the Otherworlds cards work?
When exploring the Otherworlds, you will find four different types of cards - lands, events, items, and curses. They all work slightly differently. They also each have a rune on it, matching the runes on the helm.
If you end your turn on a land, the land kicks you out. Follow the instructions on the land card.
If you end your turn on a curse, you must take it. It is like a condition that you carry around until you can get rid of it. How you get rid of it is written on the card.
If you end your turn on an item, you may take it if you qualify. That item then acts like an item card and may be used as noted on the card.
When you discover an event (as soon as it is flipped over), follow its instructions as if you had drawn a card from the event deck. It does not stop your movement.
Some haunts will tell you to do something like "While on a land in the Otherworlds". This means you have to find a land card to do the action. Events, curses, and items will not count.

When you draw Otherworlds cards, do you return unused Otherworlds cards back to the deck at the end of your turn?
"Yep. When you leave the Otherworlds, any cards you explored get buried on the bottom of the deck in the same order. So, if you explore all the way through, it will loop back around."

While exploring Otherworlds cards on a tile shared with a monster as a hero, does it cost extra movement to draw cards from the deck?
"Only for the first card drawn. Then you place your figure on the Otherworlds card and are no longer on the same tile as your opponent. After that, drawing a card costs one move."

Chapter 7
No known questions.

Chapter 8
No known questions.

Chapter 9
What happens when we "blacken" a family crest from the Helm?
You blacken just one crest. Blackened spots are no longer part of the helm. They can't be stickered and, if rolled when you consult the helm, reroll for that space. You can still complete the spoke even if it has one or more blackened crests on it.

Chapter 10
No known questions.

Chapter 11
No known questions.

Chapter 12
No known questions.

Chapter 13
No known questions.

Haunt Specific
The haunt I'm playing calls for face-down family crests, but all the crests are double-sided. Help!
Family crests were printed on both sides (rather than having a common back). Where this affects haunts are listed in that haunt but, other than some lack of surprise, all haunts work with double-sided crests.

Haunt 3
This haunt calls for face-down family crests but the crests were accidentally printed with the crest on both sides. The haunt works, with some loss of suspense, with double-sided family crests.

Haunt 9
How does the Doll grow?
The overview text says that the Doll grows from “damaging” opponents but the correct text is in the attack box, which is “killing”.

What happens if the Doll loses an attack against an inhabitant?
The Doll would take damage and be stunned by the inhabitant. The rule should read that the Doll becomes stunned if it “loses in combat” rather than if the “heroes” damage it.

Haunt 11 Rules Fix
Problem: The traitor has a REACTION that is worded incorrectly.
It should read "REACTION: The beginning of your turn. If you are dead, YOU MAY RETURN ONE CULTIST ON A TILE TO THE BOX to stand your figure back up and set all your traits to critical. etc. etc."

This prevents the unwinnable situation where the traitor is on the same tile as the cult leader and all the inhabitant tiles are drawn so they could not be moved. Every time the traitor dies they get reset to critical values at the start of their turn and can always defend the inhabitant from being attacked.

Haunt 21
This haunt calls for face-down family crests but the crests were accidentally printed with the crest on both sides. The haunt works, with some loss of suspense, with double-sided family crests.

Haunt 31
In Chapter 2, Haunt 31 (Hellbound). If the traitor wins, you turn to entry 125 in the Bleak Journal. In entry 125, it tells you to put the "cook and groundskeeper in the tomb." This should be "cook and farmhand". (The groundskeeper comes out later.)

Haunt 35
When does the new Traitor take his next turn?
Players take their turns in normal turn rotation.

Haunt 38 Clearer Traitor Victory Condition
YOU WIN WHEN YOU GET ALL LIVING PATIENTS (HEROES) TO THEIR STARTING SANITY OR HIGHER.

Haunt 40
It says to subtract 1 for each Rune token "in the house." Do the outside tiles count?
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What does the first half of this mean?
(From the section about double-sided crests) "Where this affects haunts are listed in that haunt but, other than some lack of surprise, all haunts work with double-sided crests."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It means that the family crests were supposed to be printed with a common back so that, when face down, you didn't know which crest was which.

Unfortunately, the family crest is on both sides of the tokens so they are all "marked".

There are two haunts that call for putting family crests face down and instructions on how and when to reveal them.

Fortunately, both these haunts work with double-sided crests, although you lose the element of surprise in both cases.

So you can play the haunts as written and they will work, with a little loss of narrative/suspense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Scott
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played far enough to encounter those haunts yet, but could one perhaps assign a number to each family and use the number tokens? Or some similar work around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thompsen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dascott wrote:
I haven't played far enough to encounter those haunts yet, but could one perhaps assign a number to each family and use the number tokens? Or some similar work around?

This is exactly how we played it. We used 4 of the number tokens which are blank on the back and made a quick chart that matched them to the family crest tokens they were supposed to represent.

Do this if possible -- it's a late campaign haunt and the mystery aspect adds a little bit to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we've had two threads on it:

When do used items and omens refresh?
At the start of your turn. (page 9)

(And Rob, if you're taking ideas for future printings, I suspect people are looking for this rule on page 12 in the Item And Omen Cards section.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chapter 1
Haunt 27 (or 37?)

The traitor's tome stated
the traitor could ATTACK a second time on their turn if they let out a fierce roar.

Our traitor was confused by this but did not want to read it aloud and give it away. With the rule that if something seems too powerful, it probably is not correct, she continued on waiting for the trigger to occur.

And as each of us died, we read her book and tried to interpret it. When I read it, I told her that
she literally needed to roar and she could attack 2x each turn.

Was that correct?

Also, we noticed that if the heroes were not
next to their traps
, it was literally impossible to cause damage with them. Wow! No question there, just was hard.

And we also played that when the heroes defended an attack
the berserker did NOT take the damage on the track
even if the hero rolled higher than the traitor. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Scott
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
Chapter 1
Haunt 27 (or 37?)

And as each of us died, we read her book and tried to interpret it. When I read it, I told her that
she literally needed to roar and she could attack 2x each turn.

Was that correct?

Yep.
Just pull a Katy Perry and roar. Our traitor had a great time with that. “Oh, by the way, RRRAAWWRRR!”

Quote:
Also, we noticed that if the heroes were not
next to their traps
, it was literally impossible to cause damage with them. Wow! No question there, just was hard.

Yes, without being right there, it’s nigh impossible to hurt them directly, but there’s a good chance at slowing them, leading to them not getting an attack in... and possibly hurting themselves instead.

Quote:
And we also played that when the heroes defended an attack
the berserker did NOT take the damage on the track
even if the hero rolled higher than the traitor. Is that right?

Yes, because
the Berserker can only be hurt with a weapon and you don’t use weapons when defending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chapter 2, Haunt 31

Setup question (Traitor's Tome):
It says to place all
inhabitant
tokens out whether or not they were discovered already.

So how many do we place out?
(We wondered what "discovered" means...)
2 ... because we don't have a card for the paws yet - 2 exist so far, 1 was discovered (turned face up), and 1 not.

or 3... in this case "discovered" would mean 'found the cards'

we decided the larger one.

also wondered about movement within this haunt
gains x moves-- on top of revealed stats???
or just move x spaces???

We took that to mean the 2nd interpretation.

And
can inhabitants reveal new tiles?

And during the haunt, when we revealed a
tile with an inhabitant on it
, should we have moved
that inhabitant to the revealed tile
?

And after the haunt when traitor won:
it said to put
cook and groundskeeper in the tomb

We didn't have that. We had
Cook and stableboy

I hope that was what we were supposed to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
Chapter 2, Haunt 31

Setup question (Traitor's Tome):
It says to place all
inhabitant
tokens out whether or not they were discovered already.

So how many do we place out?
(We wondered what "discovered" means...)
2 ... because we don't have a card for the paws yet - 2 exist so far, 1 was discovered (turned face up), and 1 not.

or 3... in this case "discovered" would mean 'found the cards'

we decided the larger one.

You should put out tokens only for cards you have. So, two in this case. Minor spoiler: If you hit this haunt in free play, you'd put out all three so it works either way.

Quote:
also wondered about movement within this haunt
gains x moves-- on top of revealed stats???
or just move x spaces???

We took that to mean the 2nd interpretation.

The second interpretation is correct. You only gain moves at the start of your turn. Since inhabitants don't get turns, they don't get moves, even though they have a Speed trait.

Quote:
And
can inhabitants reveal new tiles?

No

Quote:
And during the haunt, when we revealed a
tile with an inhabitant on it
, should we have moved
that inhabitant to the revealed tile
?

Yes

Quote:
And after the haunt when traitor won:
it said to put
cook and groundskeeper in the tomb

We didn't have that. We had
Cook and stableboy

I hope that was what we were supposed to have.

You, unfortunately, just found a bug. It should say to put the "cook and farmhand in the tomb". The groundskeeper comes out later. He used to come out first, then got moved, and we forgot to update this text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelton Windham
United States
Providence Village
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
We ended up with tile plank 19 left over at the end of the campaign. It didn't seem like we missed anything, but we didn't see anything indicating that we should destroy tile plank 19 either. Can this occur? Did we do something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Neff
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
taleswapper wrote:
We ended up with tile plank 19 left over at the end of the campaign. It didn't seem like we missed anything, but we didn't see anything indicating that we should destroy tile plank 19 either. Can this occur? Did we do something wrong?

You should have gotten one of those rooms depending on on which haunt you encountered in Chapter 10. The Bleak Journal would have told you which room to put in (you will destroy the other 2). If you're in free play, feel free to just choose one to add to the house and destroy the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
Chapter 6
If a player dies to an event in the Otherworlds, do they not get a ghost, or does their ghost go on the tile that they entered the Otherworlds from?

I assume the original tile, which is what we went with, but wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boucher
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Line of sight: Diagonal or just north / south / east / west ?
[A][B][C]
[D][E]
[F]
Example. Assuming all rooms had 4 doorways does line of sight extend from
CB door through BE door through ED door and through DF door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Lee
msg tools
Just north south east west.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter 10 / Haunt 49

Wen we read through the haunt, it said
Quote:
Once the traitor is revealed, they take the traitor card and read the text under "If You Are The Traitor"
Our group interpreted this as meaning that nobody should read that section until the traitor was revealed publicly (via dying). But after reading it, clearly it seemed that the traitor should have read it immediately, as it had actions they could do while alive and a way to reveal the traitor. So what was meant by reading the section once the traitor was revealed - did that actually mean it should be read publicly to the heroes once the traitor was revealed? (but the traitor should have read it at the start of the haunt?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Lee
msg tools
djheini wrote:
Chapter 10 / Haunt 49

Wen we read through the haunt, it said
Quote:
Once the traitor is revealed, they take the traitor card and read the text under "If You Are The Traitor"
Our group interpreted this as meaning that nobody should read that section until the traitor was revealed publicly (via dying). But after reading it, clearly it seemed that the traitor should have read it immediately, as it had actions they could do while alive and a way to reveal the traitor. So what was meant by reading the section once the traitor was revealed - did that actually mean it should be read publicly to the heroes once the traitor was revealed? (but the traitor should have read it at the start of the haunt?)

I can see how the wording can be misleading. I think the direction to read that text box once revealed as the traitor was intended as a reminder. Generally, for haunts with hidden traitors, my typical approach is to pass the book around and have everyone read it on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne Younk
msg tools
Do not disrespect this...
What happens when the helm fills up? Can we still use it to make rerolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Romero
United States
flag msg tools
Question regarding Chapter 11
haunt 8 ending spoilers
at the end when the traitor won, they were instructed to black out a crest on the helm. They decided on one of the crests on the back that had been placed as a result of the side goal, is this rules as intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the significance of rotating the helm 90 degrees? I don’t really perceive an orientation when its on the table, and not sure if I can just ignore that detail or need to make a point of which end is up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Chapter 6

On the otherworld curse cards it says to get rid of the card end your turn on an outside tile. Does this trigger the haunt if it hasn't yet started? There's no clarification for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
What is the significance of rotating the helm 90 degrees? I don’t really perceive an orientation when its on the table, and not sure if I can just ignore that detail or need to make a point of which end is up.

That is just flavor text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainman001 wrote:
Chapter 6

On the otherworld curse cards it says to get rid of the card end your turn on an outside tile. Does this trigger the haunt if it hasn't yet started? There's no clarification for this.

It does not. I'm curious as to why you think it might as I might be missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have an actual ruling on changing up families during the course of a campaign? There's confusion elsewhere in the forums, because page 6 mentions players selecting a family they will play for the entire campaign, and page 7 talks about playing a member of the same family each time, but then there's the "Joining the Campaign" section at the end of the rulebook that implies one can change up what families they play throughout the campaign if they don't want to be "stuck" playing, say, the red family for every single session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly can switch it up if you want to and everyone agrees. What we didn't want was someone deciding that they were now going to play red and the person who has played red for 6 games not getting to say otherwise.

But if the people want to switch it up or bring in a new family, the game will be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.