Betrayal Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Compiled FAQ (Spoilers Hidden, each Chapter hidden separately) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Cooper
msg tools
Chapter 7, Haunt 41
Spoiler (click to reveal)
My group made it to the second half of the Haunt "A pox upon Thee" and got into a situation where there could very possibly be NO survivor or winner.

My character had the Antidote had a ranged weapon and retreated down a hallway while fighting with line-of-sight attacks. Another player had an opportunity to steal the weapon and kill me off next round, I was at critical in every stat. However the the blood counter the blood counter would do enough damage to kill all other players in one turn before any of them reached the corpse to claim the antidote.

The haunt itself has no lose condition, only a win condition for the last surviving player. How would we have proceeded in that situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterMetroid wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
2. When the basement is collapsing, does the portal or landing collapse last? If the landing, what happens when the portal collapses?

Assuming this is haunt #44, Gaze at the Abyss...

The portal should never be on the landing tile. The haunt tells you to collapse non-landing tiles until you collapse the tile with the portal on it, meaning that if you get all the way to the end of the game, the tile with the portal on it will be forced to collapse before the basement landing.

Thanks, Ryan, that’s how we played it but we weren’t certain. One of the perils of the split rules (betrayer and non-betrayers) is that it can be hard to come to definitive understandings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rene g
msg tools
Would it be a good idea to use a black sharpie and black out a side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buck
msg tools
RandTherrin wrote:
Chapter 7, Haunt 41
My group made it to the second half of the Haunt "A pox upon Thee" and got into a situation where there could very possibly be NO survivor or winner.

My character had the Antidote had a ranged weapon and retreated down a hallway while fighting with line-of-sight attacks. Another player had an opportunity to steal the weapon and kill me off next round, I was at critical in every stat. However the the blood counter the blood counter would do enough damage to kill all other players in one turn before any of them reached the corpse to claim the antidote.

The haunt itself has no lose condition, only a win condition for the last surviving player. How would we have proceeded in that situation?

This is no joke, pretty much the EXACT same thing that happened in our campaign. I was at one end of the outside region, alive with the antidote, and my friend was on the other end, and line-of-sight killed me on his turn where he would die at the end of the turn from poison.

Since the haunt says that you win when you’re the last player alive, then we went with the fact that as soon as I was killed with that ranged weapon, the other person instantly wins, since at that point, his turn was still going and he would be the last person alive...

We assumed he used his final push and last crawling breathes to reach the antidote on my corpse and “survived,” even though he never actually took his last turn.

You pretty much can’t be put into a stalemate, because let’s say nobody possesses the antidote, cause a player died with it from a room effect far away from everyone else. The turn order would slowly cause everyone to die, but one player would be alive in the end, even if just for a split second. If there happens to be a card effect like “everyone outside must take X damage, and that kills everyone, I’d do the rolls starting with the card drawer, and then proceededing in clockwise order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cooper
msg tools
MisterMetroid wrote:
RandTherrin wrote:
Chapter 7, Haunt 41

This is no joke, pretty much the EXACT same thing that happened in our campaign. I was at one end of the outside region, alive with the antidote, and my friend was on the other end, and line-of-sight killed me on his turn where he would die at the end of the turn from poison.

Since the haunt says that you win when you’re the last player alive, then we went with the fact that as soon as I was killed with that ranged weapon, the other person instantly wins, since at that point, his turn was still going and he would be the last person alive...

We assumed he used his final push and last crawling breathes to reach the antidote on my corpse and “survived,” even though he never actually took his last turn.

You pretty much can’t be put into a stalemate, because let’s say nobody possesses the antidote, cause a player died with it from a room effect far away from everyone else. The turn order would slowly cause everyone to die, but one player would be alive in the end, even if just for a split second. If there happens to be a card effect like “everyone outside must take X damage, and that kills everyone, I’d do the rolls starting with the card drawer, and then proceededing in clockwise order.

Thank you. The haunt wording is a bit ambiguous in my opinion since all players (without the antidote) took damage on the monsters turn. This is not the first haunt with group wide general damage I have encountered, but the others have had "Fail" conditions giving the deed to the haunt revealer as there was no traitor in those chapters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Montgomery
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about the setup for Chapter 10:

Are we meant to assume that the Basement Landing is no longer adjacent to the Ground Floor Staircase? It's implied through flavor text and new artwork, but unless I've missed something the rules on page 8 are quite clear and remain unchanged. Seems like the chapter's Legacy card is missing a line that says the two tiles are no longer considered adjacent.

Or am I lending too much importance to the flavor text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buck
msg tools
Kitbash wrote:
Question about the setup for Chapter 10:

Are we meant to assume that the Basement Landing is no longer adjacent to the Ground Floor Staircase? It's implied through flavor text and new artwork, but unless I've missed something the rules on page 8 are quite clear and remain unchanged. Seems like the chapter's Legacy card is missing a line that says the two tiles are no longer considered adjacent.

I'm almost certain they are no longer considered adjacent. Otherwise their wouldn't be a point to covering the basement stairs.

This sticker makes the game after the campaign like the original Betrayal, where the basement is not accessible at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McDonald
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Question about a rule introduced in Chapter 1:
If characters survive to play in the next game, do they keep the same Calling? The rules seem to indicate that character names are entirely thematic, and that characters who turn up in the following game get a new random calling. But it would also make vastly more sense to keep the same calling for the same character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New calling. It's been ~30 years, after all. Things can change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley O.
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter 2 questions after the haunt....

Does the Traitor get to control the movement of the inhabitants or can they only move to newly discovered tiles with their symbol on them?

Can the traitor attack with the inhabitants?

Are the inhabitants abilities still available to everyone after the haunt in this chapter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterMetroid wrote:
[q="Kitbash"]Question about the setup for Chapter 10:

I'm almost certain they are no longer considered adjacent. Otherwise their wouldn't be a point to covering the basement stairs.

This sticker makes the game after the campaign like the original Betrayal, where the basement is not accessible at the beginning of the game.
[/q
]

This has been confirmed by Rob D on another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb

Chapter 10 questions:

Haunt 24: Woefully Outmatched
1. If you attack Lice, can they damage you with their defense roll?
2. Do you use the long or short edge of the number track when dropping lice?
3. Can you trade the kit tokens?
4. Are killed lice tokens returned to the box, or are they dropped anew each turn?

We assumed 1 is yes, 2 is short, 3 is no (but that maybe you can get tokens already obtained by redoing the Prepare action and thereby “stealing” it from the player who currently has it), and 4 is returned to box.

The number of questions that aren’t clearly answered by the rules is annoying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Colwell

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kerlo wrote:
Chapter 2 questions after the haunt....

Does the Traitor get to control the movement of the inhabitants or can they only move to newly discovered tiles with their symbol on them?

Can the traitor attack with the inhabitants?

Are the inhabitants abilities still available to everyone after the haunt in this chapter?

Inhabitants' movement/control during the haunt will be determined/defined by the Traitor's Tome and/or the Secrets of Survival.

Inhabitants, if not Tombed or destroyed, are available in later chapters. I believe rule F covers that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Assur
msg tools
Chapter 5: Haunt 44
In previous postings on the topic of portal collapsing: "...until you collapse the tile with...."

Having a hard time finding portal tile collapse timing explained in the haunt rules.

Our traitor sped the monster to the portal tile as soon as the basement was the last zone left, destroyed the tile and won: portal was on an outside edge of the zone.

Seemingly, the same could happen if the heroes rebuke the monster when only the basement zone is left: the monster then just collapses the portal tile and wins.

It seems the portal tile should be restricted from collapsing in some way until later in the game. Or, if this is by design, some indication to the hero team that the spirit can collapse the portal tile to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Dormammu wrote:

Chapter 10 questions:

Haunt 24: Woefully Outmatched
1. If you attack Lice, can they damage you with their defense roll?
2. Do you use the long or short edge of the number track when dropping lice?
3. Can you trade the kit tokens?
4. Are killed lice tokens returned to the box, or are they dropped anew each turn?

We assumed 1 is yes, 2 is short, 3 is no (but that maybe you can get tokens already obtained by redoing the Prepare action and thereby “stealing” it from the player who currently has it), and 4 is returned to box.

The number of questions that aren’t clearly answered by the rules is annoying!

2 - Long, surely.
The idea is that they spread around a bit and some miss I think, otherwise you would just place them?

3 - I think the haunt says that the tokens are "objects" which is defined in the book - but basically means they can be dropped, picked up, traded etc. A lot of haunts have this but it's easy to miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chapter 5 -
Abyss & collapsing house
question...

Our haunt happened super-early. We had no heirloom items yet so our heroes continued to aggressively explore and reveal new tiles in order to find items and keep the house from collapsing. Thematically it did not feel right to reveal a new tile through a doorway to a location where a tile had been, but had previously collapsed. We didn't see in the where this was prohibited, but it just felt wrong. Any thoughts or clarifications?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We encountered the "face down crest token" issue in one of our haunts and we resolved it by pulling out the 6-10 tokens and placing the tokens on those spots on the number track. This allowed us to put the number tokens face down but have them linked to the crest. I don't know if that will work with all of the haunts where this is an issue, but it worked for us, maybe it will work for you too.

I did end up with a weapon question. Several of the items specify that you can use it to attack anyone. It seems odd to attack players on the same side of the haunt as you, but this seems to imply that you can with those weapons. Were they really meant to allow attacking teammates? I feel like it makes sense for the ones you check since it gives more opportunity to kill things with those weapons and get the checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
msg tools
zosa wrote:
Chapter 5 -
Abyss & collapsing house
question...

Our haunt happened super-early. We had no heirloom items yet so our heroes continued to aggressively explore and reveal new tiles in order to find items and keep the house from collapsing. Thematically it did not feel right to reveal a new tile through a doorway to a location where a tile had been, but had previously collapsed. We didn't see in the where this was prohibited, but it just felt wrong. Any thoughts or clarifications?

This is exactly how my group played, I would think you did it right. As for why I think it's thematically fine...

There are plenty of horror tropes that have collapsing or changing houses (The Winchester House, Rose Red, Poltergeist). In my mind, the house wasn't physically collapsing into physical ruins, but more like being sucked into a void (like in Poltergeist). I didn't imagine it as opening a door into a collapsed room, I more imagined it as opening a door into nothingness, and whatever force powers the re-arraignment of the house every 20-30 years is still actively allowing the inhabitants to re-arraign it.

Also, the Traitor can still walk through those doors, then have his helper follow him and collapse them behind him, thereby burning tiles the Heroes could have used to stall the destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Adkins
msg tools
Chapter 9 question:

We didn't blacken any crests on the helm, because we weren't asked to; I'm assuming it's a result of "mapping the Otherworlds", but we were too afraid of dying to do so after the haunt (someone did explore them before the haunt, but the mapping side quest wasn't in play, at that time). Will this come back to bite us, in the end? Will we be locked out of certain things, as a result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XabinOtter wrote:
Chapter 9 question:

We didn't blacken any crests on the helm, because we weren't asked to; I'm assuming it's a result of "mapping the Otherworlds", but we were too afraid of dying to do so after the haunt (someone did explore them before the haunt, but the mapping side quest wasn't in play, at that time). Will this come back to bite us, in the end? Will we be locked out of certain things, as a result?

Mapping the Otherworlds will matter later, but missing it isn't the end of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Adkins
msg tools
Does it have anything to do with getting an omen near the end of the game that, if you don't get it, you lock yourself out of like 4 haunts? I heard that was a possibility, and I wanted to know if mapping the Otherworlds was key to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That particular concern was incorrect- I'll go post some more detail in the thread where the possibility came up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarification on Haunt 31 that I haven't been able to find elsewhere.

The traitor's description says to drop all sacred items at the beginning of the haunt. Does this mean they can't pick up any sacred items they find in discovering rooms from then on? Since it said drop only what they're carrying, we played it as they could pick up new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Irons
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter 7, Haunt 41

For the first part of the haunt, we seem to have found a way to abuse time travel. We had people treat the disease to reduce damage to zero, while everyone else messed around a bit. Things that we did;
-make sure that every player got to heirloom an item,
-upgrade all items with a kill track by "killing the groundskeeper" as the Bleak Journal just has him run to the upstairs,
-and make sure that everyone had items they were happy with.

Is there any rules that we were breaking or is time travel just that broken?

PS: we were all Whovians and really appreciated that meta haunt...well the first part. Folks were a bit panicked with the 6 might character (everyone else 4 might) who had the Devil's pitchfork. Nothing like killing the first player (also house owner) who grabbed the antidote and teleporting far away from people. Contrary to the flavor text, I only killed one person, the disease got the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gjertsen
United States
Acworth
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aeigiven wrote:

Can I use weapons while defending against an attack?
No. Your weapon likely specifies that its effects only apply when you are performing the ATTACK action.

But if being attacked with (or without a weapon), the defender still rolls a defense roll in the trait relevant to the weapon (or lack of weapon) he's being attacked with. The more confusing issue to me is if the defender can deal damage if the defense roll is higher on a ranged attack. I don't think the rules specify that he/she can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.